Anybody else set low weight loss goals...

Options
2»

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    bcradio1 wrote: »
    The problem with all of this is that it is impossible to tell how many pounds you need to lose to get the look you want to get. I thought I had 20lbs to lose, but almost 40lbs later I am still not there yet.

I simply aim to lose 1lb per week until I am done.

Eh, I just want to be not overweight. I figure anything strictly for vanity purposes can be its own thing.
  • bcradio1
    bcradio1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Eh, I just want to be not overweight. I figure anything strictly for vanity purposes can be its own thing.

Except what is overweight? Too heavy? Too much fat? Too much muscle?

If you lose 30lbs of muscle and no fat, will you no longer be overwieght by your definition (of course this is not technically possible)?
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The problem with all of this is that it is impossible to tell how many pounds you need to lose to get the look you want to get. I thought I had 20lbs to lose, but almost 40lbs later I am still not there yet.

I simply aim to lose 1lb per week until I am done.

I'm going to gauge this by my waist size. I'm trying to get below 200 lbs, so that I can start running again, and have less weight on my joints. I got to the point where size 36 pants were getting tight again, so I want to get to the point where 34 size are very comfortable and 32's are tight. Then I'll drop mine down to 0.5 lbs per week.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm approaching 2 years with a loss goal of 0.5 lb per week. I'm still not to a target goal and I'm not tempted to give up and quit. I just keep trying. Today is a get up and dust off day after tripping yesterday. Onward!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    My goal was 1 pound a week. I'm about 45 weeks in and have lost 45.5 pounds. Same goal for next year (1 year is 3/14/18), so 104 pounds in 2 years.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My goal is .5 pound a week. I finally took the quality advice on this site and realized I can't be successful at 1200 cals a day. I reset my goal to .5 pound and upped my cals to 1450. Everytime I try to "boost my progress" and drop back to 1200, oy. Now, I have also increased my exercise level and secretly hope I lose .75 pounds a week. So in a way, I may technically be at a 1200 net some days but I'm really all about this "eat as much as I can and lose weight" concept.

It's very slow going but I feel like I've finally mastered the mental challenge there. My 50th bday is in October and I'd like to be down 20 by then. 25 would be perfect. Then I will spend another year maybe losing another 10.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options

If you lose 30lbs of muscle and no fat, will you no longer be overwieght by your definition (of course this is not technically possible)?

I’m aiming for the top of the BMI range, or until losing becomes more difficult than I feel is sustainable, and I’ll see how I feel from there. I do understand the difference between overweight and over fat- this is a thread about slow goals, after all. My point was only that I’m just not especially worried about how I’ll look when I get there. I’m worried about my blood pressure, cholesterol, and living as long and healthy a life as possible. At least for now, I could care less about how I’ll look in a bikini after another 30 pounds.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Doesn’t really matter if you lose 20 and realize you aren’t happy with how you look - just take another couple years and lose 20 more! :smiley:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't really set such specific deadlines but I thought by the end of the year I'd like to be down 10 lbs from where I am now. It is kind of a minimum I have in my head.
    My ultimate weight loss goal is more like 20-40 lbs. It wouldn't be impossible to lose 20 lbs or more in a year so I may get closer to that but if I just drop 10 lbs that is fine.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options

I’m aiming for the top of the BMI range, or until losing becomes more difficult than I feel is sustainable, and I’ll see how I feel from there. I do understand the difference between overweight and over fat- this is a thread about slow goals, after all. My point was only that I’m just not especially worried about how I’ll look when I get there. I’m worried about my blood pressure, cholesterol, and living as long and healthy a life as possible. At least for now, I could care less about how I’ll look in a bikini after another 30 pounds.

Yep, I'm aiming for a BMI of 24.9, then I'll see... I've never been a 'normal' weight so I have no idea what to expect. Every week I aim for less than maintenance and I call it a win. I imagine I will be actively losing for at least the next 18 months, probably longer.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

To me not being overweight will be
    1. Being within the healthy bmi range... probably middle to top of the range
    2. My waist to hip ratio being out of the higher health risk area
    3. My quality of life being pretty good- able to comfortable walk a few miles at a good pace, little to no pain, more flexibility, better balance, increased strength

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I'm aiming higher than that, but for now, I know I'm strong, I know I'm fast(enough), I'd just like to be a bit lighter for the sake of my knees.

My target is to get just out of obese and into overweight for now.
  • bcradio1
    Options

I would say my point is that estimating bodyfat % through the mirror is actually a fairly good way to do so. It has little to do with vanity really.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options

I would say my point is that estimating bodyfat % through the mirror is actually a fairly good way to do so. It has little to do with vanity really.

And that's completely legit. Your first post didn't mention bodyfat %, however, but talked only about losing weight "to get the look you want." That to me speaks to vanity rather than health (which isn't to say that caring about how you look is a bad thing or anything, just a different goal than basic health). If you were talking about bodyfat and health, I misunderstood.
  • bcradio1
    Options

And that's completely legit. Your first post didn't mention bodyfat %, however, but talked only about losing weight "to get the look you want." That to me speaks to vanity rather than health (which isn't to say that caring about how you look is a bad thing or anything, just a different goal than basic health). If you were talking about bodyfat and health, I misunderstood.

Very true, I should have specified in my post... It is one of those things where I know what I mean in my head, but not everyone else does ha ha.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I make small weight goals because I get a high when I achieve it. Also as other have said it’s hard to know what my real goal weight is because I am interested in building muscle and toning in addition to losing inches. The scale is just what I use to track my progress. If I go by the medical guidelines for my height and age I should be around 150lbs but 70lbs seems like and unrealistic goal when I was 185 I was a size 10.