Struggling with alcohol!

Options
Hi guys,
So I logged back on today as I'm creeping up again to what was once my highest weight after losing almost 2 stone last year I'm ashamed to say I've put nearly all of it back on. My main problem is that my husband and I really enjoy a drink (or 3!) in the evening to unwind. I have only managed 3 entirely booze free days this month and I'm struggling. I don't get 'drunk' but I enjoy a gin and tonic and sharing a bottle of wine. I really need some tips to get out of this habit. I have done it several times before but always slip back and it massively impedes my weight loss. Feel free to add me!
x

Replies

• faithfulheart888
    faithfulheart888 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow guys thanks for the responses. It really helps to know that you guys have lost weight by cutting down on the alcohol and those tips are really helpful. The benefits sound great too!
  • Fatass261
    Fatass261 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's hars to only have a couple when you are having fun knowing that it's not good. But you gotta do what you gotta do.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    You might want to check out this thread in the Challenges sub-forum. There are lots of people in the same boat as you, trying to cut back on the alcohol or quit entirely. Everyone has their own goal and there is no judgement, but lots of support and motivation.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10625604/less-alcohol-january-2018-one-day-at-a-time#latest

This ^^^^^
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    So I logged back on today as I'm creeping up again to what was once my highest weight after losing almost 2 stone last year I'm ashamed to say I've put nearly all of it back on. My main problem is that my husband and I really enjoy a drink (or 3!) in the evening to unwind. I have only managed 3 entirely booze free days this month and I'm struggling. I don't get 'drunk' but I enjoy a gin and tonic and sharing a bottle of wine. I really need some tips to get out of this habit. I have done it several times before but always slip back and it massively impedes my weight loss. Feel free to add me!
    x

Why do you feel that need to change this habit rather than cut back somewhere else if it's something you enjoy? Do feel like you are addicted to the alcohol?
  • cmorehar
    cmorehar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to save my alcohol for Friday and Saturday nights. It gives me something to work for during the week, as I enjoy going to craft breweries on the weekends. Hope this helps!
  • mizdanilynne
    mizdanilynne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate! It is amazing how quickly the pounds (or stones) creep back on when consuming alcohol! Not to mention it is much easier to stay within the calorie range on mfp when not drinking. It is not a matter of will power as I can (sometimes) take it or leave it. It is enjoyable and relaxing. That being said, I have successfully used L-Glutamine (amino acid) to curb the alcohol yearnings. I find that if I use this for a few days I break the desire to drink. That and seriously committing to stay within the calories for the day makes it easier to skip the cocktail. Good luck and try not to beat yourself up...remember you are doing the best you can!
  • faithfulheart888
    Options
    Hi guys,
    x

Why do you feel that need to change this habit rather than cut back somewhere else if it's something you enjoy? Do feel like you are addicted to the alcohol?

I guess in a way, yes, because I enjoy the way it helps me to unwind, so it's not just because I enjoy the taste per se. Also, I guess I am addicted, because once I start, like this triggered off over Christmas just because I unwound 'too' much and just drank every day, and then it becomes a slippery slope. I dislike it as well because I only get given a total of 1200 calories per day, which it isn't a healthy or nutriotionally good choice to spend on alcohol, wine has a crazy amount of calories in! I think my plan going forward will be to allow myself some wriggle room on a Fri and Sat night and maybe 1 night in the week. Cutting down slowly rather than completely cutting out sounds good. Thanks to everyone for all the advice x
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It is possible for many to moderate their intake. I'm against demonizing any food/drink period. Unless it's an addictive issue. That can be with alcohol or it can also be with food... Moderation is key.

If you are unable to moderate in a healthy manner then there could be more to it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    x

I guess in a way, yes, because I enjoy the way it helps me to unwind, so it's not just because I enjoy the taste per se. Also, I guess I am addicted, because once I start, like this triggered off over Christmas just because I unwound 'too' much and just drank every day, and then it becomes a slippery slope. I dislike it as well because I only get given a total of 1200 calories per day, which it isn't a healthy or nutriotionally good choice to spend on alcohol, wine has a crazy amount of calories in! I think my plan going forward will be to allow myself some wriggle room on a Fri and Sat night and maybe 1 night in the week. Cutting down slowly rather than completely cutting out sounds good. Thanks to everyone for all the advice x

Sounds like a solid plan. I do the same with most things I want to cut back on but not give up entirely. I find that having the weekend to look forward to helps keep me on track throughout the week.

Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to have one drink a day rather than several? The all or nothing approach can be difficult to sustain for many. Do you log the calories in every drink? That might give you a bit of reality check and help you make informed choices.
  • faithfulheart888
    Options
    I cut down half my drinking at a time. Wherever you are at...drink half that much.

In a couple months.

Cut another half.

3 more months.

Cut it in half again.

Then...by the end of the year. You're done. You're free.

I'm definitely not a puritan and think booze is fine...it's just not necessarily for everybody, and maybe it's great but not right now.

If you want to get in shape.

It's the perfect target to eliminate from your diet. You have to find what works for you, and what works for a long time.

Just persist. If you screw up...start again next day. And the next day. And the day after that.

It'll work.

Thanks! And for the previous post, really made me giggle with the motivational song, but also felt like I got my butt (or *kitten* as we say here in UK) kicked, which is defo what I need right now. I like the sounds of that plan too, seems like weaning myself off it, rather than a full on ditch it all at once attempt may be more doable and give me realistic goals.
  • faithfulheart888
    Options
    Great. it blocked my worse a%r*s"e!!!! HA!
  • KingGregorius
    KingGregorius Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I made a commitment not to drink in Jan and have lost 19 lbs in 23 days so far. The biggest difference though it what I "Added" to my routine. 1 huge green drink everyone morning and I sweat doing something for 20 to 30 min every single day. I also stay within my range of calories on this app everyday and hit my daily 4 metrics. I have also added plenty of water everyday. Once I lose 40 lbs I am back to alcohol in moderation and will keep up my green drink and sweating every day. :sweat_smile: