Any healthy alternatives to butter?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Rache4083 wrote: »
    By the time I have my toast or whatever in the morning, I'm halfway through my fat intake for the day. V frustrating

How much butter are you putting on your toast to be halfway through your dietary fat target?

At any rate, there's nothing magical about MFP's default macro settings...calories overall are what's important for weight management...dietary fat is healthy and essential to proper nutrition
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    No way would I replace butter with anything else but I do spread it thinly to save on cals
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    PB2
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    By the time I have my toast or whatever in the morning, I'm halfway through my fat intake for the day. V frustrating

jesu. how much butter are you using and how much is your fat intake supposed to be?- you may have your fat intake set too low.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    shellma00 wrote: »
    Use Real Butter, not margarine. Margarine is very unhealthy.

There are all different types of margarines with different ingredients . . . if you find one that strikes you as unhealthy, you can always use another (not arguing that butter is unhealthy, it's just that I don't think demonizing margarine makes any more sense than demonizing butter).

The Difference Between Butter and Margarine

Butter and margarine serve the same purpose. They are used for cooking, baking and as spreads.

Butter has been a dietary staple for centuries.

It is made by churning the fatty portion of cow's milk until it turns into the final product... butter. That's it.

Margarine is totally different. It is a highly processed food that was invented to replace butter. The primary ingredient is vegetable oil along with emulsifiers, colorants and various artificial ingredients.

Vegetable oil is liquid at room temperature. This is why margarine is often hydrogenated, which gives it a harder consistency and extends shelf life. Hydrogenation also turns some of the vegetable oils into trans fats.

(Note: You may want to cite your sources here).

Dont worry, someone else already called me out on that and did it for me. I havent been in the community for a long time and didnt realize this was an epidemic. My bad. I will cite them next time if it offends everyone so much.

I forget how sensitive people are nowadays.

people aren't sensitive- they want to be able to check the source themselves- you should be grateful the community actually tries to do some research rather than just taking it at face value- it's how we make better choices.

cut the passive aggressive crap- it's beneath you as an adult.

Your right..

But back to the topic... I still think Butter is better than Margarine.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

There are all different types of margarines with different ingredients . . . if you find one that strikes you as unhealthy, you can always use another (not arguing that butter is unhealthy, it's just that I don't think demonizing margarine makes any more sense than demonizing butter).

Butter and margarine serve the same purpose. They are used for cooking, baking and as spreads.

It is made by churning the fatty portion of cow's milk until it turns into the final product... butter. That's it.

Margarine is totally different. It is a highly processed food that was invented to replace butter. The primary ingredient is vegetable oil along with emulsifiers, colorants and various artificial ingredients.

Vegetable oil is liquid at room temperature. This is why margarine is often hydrogenated, which gives it a harder consistency and extends shelf life. Hydrogenation also turns some of the vegetable oils into trans fats.

Dont worry, someone else already called me out on that and did it for me. I havent been in the community for a long time and didnt realize this was an epidemic. My bad. I will cite them next time if it offends everyone so much.

people aren't sensitive- they want to be able to check the source themselves- you should be grateful the community actually tries to do some research rather than just taking it at face value- it's how we make better choices.

Your right..

But back to the topic... I still think Butter is better than Margarine.

I'd agree- why someone would want margarine is beyond me- but meh- far be it for me to determine what someone puts on their toast.

#TeamButterAllDayEveryDay
  • shellma00
    Options

It also lets folks determine whether or not you're putting forth knowledge that is yours based on multiple sources or if you're just repeating verbatim something from someone else.

I am definitely guilty here of repeating verbatim something from someone else. I just didnt feel like typing out my agreement with the article. It's ok, I learned my lesson. Im not trying to make enemies here.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    I like Brummel.
  • shellma00
    Options
    I like Brummel.

Never heard of that. maybe have to look it up. :)
  • bcradio1
    bcradio1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Fat intake only has a minimum... 0.4g per pound of bodyweight. This is a minimum, so if you want more then feel free.

Just try and limit trans fat.