Options

Replies

• shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    shellma00 wrote: »
    Use Real Butter, not margarine. Margarine is very unhealthy.

There are all different types of margarines with different ingredients . . . if you find one that strikes you as unhealthy, you can always use another (not arguing that butter is unhealthy, it's just that I don't think demonizing margarine makes any more sense than demonizing butter).

The Difference Between Butter and Margarine

Butter and margarine serve the same purpose. They are used for cooking, baking and as spreads.

Butter has been a dietary staple for centuries.

It is made by churning the fatty portion of cow's milk until it turns into the final product... butter. That's it.

Margarine is totally different. It is a highly processed food that was invented to replace butter. The primary ingredient is vegetable oil along with emulsifiers, colorants and various artificial ingredients.

Vegetable oil is liquid at room temperature. This is why margarine is often hydrogenated, which gives it a harder consistency and extends shelf life. Hydrogenation also turns some of the vegetable oils into trans fats.

(Note: You may want to cite your sources here).

Dont worry, someone else already called me out on that and did it for me. I havent been in the community for a long time and didnt realize this was an epidemic. My bad. I will cite them next time if it offends everyone so much.

I forget how sensitive people are nowadays.

It isn't about sensitivity, we're just a collection of people who are passionate about facts and when people cite their sources, it allows us to see the information you're basing your opinion on.

Also, writing and research can be hard work! It's only polite to give credit to the people who did the initial work. When you don't cite your sources, it can look like you are personally claiming authorship and I'm sure you wouldn't want people thinking that you were doing that.

I understand. I have admitted my mistake here.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

There are all different types of margarines with different ingredients . . . if you find one that strikes you as unhealthy, you can always use another (not arguing that butter is unhealthy, it's just that I don't think demonizing margarine makes any more sense than demonizing butter).

Butter and margarine serve the same purpose. They are used for cooking, baking and as spreads.

It is made by churning the fatty portion of cow's milk until it turns into the final product... butter. That's it.

Margarine is totally different. It is a highly processed food that was invented to replace butter. The primary ingredient is vegetable oil along with emulsifiers, colorants and various artificial ingredients.

Vegetable oil is liquid at room temperature. This is why margarine is often hydrogenated, which gives it a harder consistency and extends shelf life. Hydrogenation also turns some of the vegetable oils into trans fats.

Dont worry, someone else already called me out on that and did it for me. I havent been in the community for a long time and didnt realize this was an epidemic. My bad. I will cite them next time if it offends everyone so much.

people aren't sensitive- they want to be able to check the source themselves- you should be grateful the community actually tries to do some research rather than just taking it at face value- it's how we make better choices.

cut the passive aggressive crap- it's beneath you as an adult.

Your right..

But back to the topic... I still think Butter is better than Margarine.

As I do I for taste. Which is healthier depends on the butter and the margarine IMHO.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

people aren't sensitive- they want to be able to check the source themselves- you should be grateful the community actually tries to do some research rather than just taking it at face value- it's how we make better choices.

cut the passive aggressive crap- it's beneath you as an adult.

Your right..

But back to the topic... I still think Butter is better than Margarine.

As I do I for taste. Which is healthier depends on the butter and the margarine IMHO.

Taste is definitely better.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Butter IS healthier for me, because otherwise I'm using cream cheese on my bagel. And you can't just skim on a bit of cream cheese, it has to be heaping!

I would echo the others who say your fats are set too low. I can make two pats of butter fit in my day easy. I'm usually struggling to eat enough fat, and I'm set at 40c/30p/30f.
  • Rache4083
    Rache4083 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Butter IS healthier for me, because otherwise I'm using cream cheese on my bagel. And you can't just skim on a bit of cream cheese, it has to be heaping!

I would echo the others who say your fats are set too low. I can make two pats of butter fit in my day easy. I'm usually struggling to eat enough fat, and I'm set at 40c/30p/30f.

Cool. Thanks! I went back to my settings and brought fats up, so hopefully it’ll a bit easier in the mornings.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Here's a better way to look at it (in my opinion)...

Think of protein and fats in terms of minimums. Try to eat at least the minimum and don't worry if you go over. Your calorie goal will prevent you from eating too much.

I personally only try to hit my protein goals (and I track grams, not percentage) and don't worry about the rest.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Plagiarism isn't cool. It's polite to cite your sources instead of stealing from people: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/butter-vs-margarine

It's also good to keep abreast of recent information. Almost every margarine I see in the store now has zero trans fats. We're not talking about the margarine produced in the 1970s anymore.

As to the OP's question, there's nothing unhealthy about butter, but I do like Brummel & Brown yogurt spread. Actually tastes just as good or better than butter to me, and way better than any margarine I've tried.
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I use whipped cream cheese with chives. 50calories for 2Tbls
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Low calorie margarines do so by incorporating water instead of fat. It falls apart on toast. I despise soggy toast. Better by far to measure carefully and spread thinly.

Bagels are calorie hogs too. I’ve seen a skinny bagel out there that does the job.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I find "whipped" versions of butter or cream cheese give a hit of that flavor, some creamy texture, and not as much fat.

But honestly, I found on my plan trying to get in bread -- and bagels in particular-- was difficult. All the carbs and calories made it tougher to fit in than other breakfasts, like scrambled eggs, yogurt, or high protein cereal.
  • beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Rache4083 wrote: »
    Looking for something to go on top of bagels or toast in the morning.

Thanks
    Whipped cream cheese is delicious although there is nothing wrong with butter.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    cream cheese for bagels and peanut or almond butter for toast. or maybe a little bit of jelly or jam on toast for something sweet.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I tend to just use peanut butter, it's not exactly low calorie but it tastes so much better (to me) and has more protein. I like cream cheese occasionally of a bagel, in which case I'll make a batch of whipped veggie cream cheese (http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2015/10/whipped-garlic-veggie-cream-cheese.html) which is great because you don't need to use nearly as much to get the full flavor impact.
  • ranchmimi
    ranchmimi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I do like the taste of Brummel & Brown - yogurt based butter alternative with less calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Pie > Cake.

Don't ever change, MFP. Where would I go for morning coffee? Poor girl doesn't cite a source and it turns into a thing.

I'll have Key Lime.

Sob.....key lime pie....

You're welcome for that brain worm.

You'll be buying key lime pie in 3...2...1.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don’t really eat bagels often but when I do I just use butter. I don’t think there is a good alternative. Just use less. Maybe jam.