$25 weekly food budget

Options
2»

Replies

• DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I think this would be a fun challenge for like a month... but would suck to do it every week!
    I'd go with bagged lettuce (usually on sale for like 2/$3 and that would make 7 salads), eggs... (hard boiled and add to salad for protein. ~$1/dozen). Beans and quinoa... make a couple of dinners with those mixed together for ~$5. Buy a bag of apples ~$5. Bag of potatoes ~$5... add some shredded cheese ($6ish for two bags/4 cups)

That would be my $25 :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    I can only talk about the UK perspective here. £25 currently feeds me very well. First of all, meat and fish is fairly expensive, while rice, pasta, beans and lentils, and fruit and veggies are fairly cheap. Bread as well.

So I'm eating what is cheap, with small amounts of meat or fish, usually around 80-100gr. Fortunately, it's also the cheap things that keep me full. Aldi and Lids have a couple of seasonal veggies constantly on offer for about 30-60 pence, and I do buy those a lot.

My breakfast and lunch are usually slices of wholegrain bread with ham, cheese, salami or other things. Plus fruits and veggies to snack on.

Every Saturday I buy an artisan bread, with a real crust and tons of flavour, and I'll enjoy it over the weekend. I usually cook for two days, sometimes I make a stew or curry for 3-4 days. Not only saves energy but also on throwing away vegetable leftovers.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    In addition to the great tips above, keep in mind that while you rarely see coupons for produce, they're printed quite often for canned/frozen produce. Grab your supermarket's circular and prioritize items you can save on that week, especially ones that keep for a long time.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you have a WinCo nearby or another store with a bulk section buy your dry staples there, after comparing the price per ounce with the cheapest store in town. For me WinCo is cheaper on beans, rice, many nuts, and oatmeal (I buy the 15 pound bag and bought a 5 gallon bucket to store it in, but they sell bulk oatmeal too not in 15# bags), and you only buy what you need right then.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    It is doable.
    Breakfast:
    Lb of bacon is $3.00.
    Dozen eggs is $1.50

I bought my pork roast for lunch this week for $5.00
    Buy some frozen veggies.. you can get most for 10 for $10.

Do something similiar for dinner.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i have a barley and sweet potato dish i make - it costs me approx $5 and feeds me all week (literally, barley, sweet potato and vegetable broth)
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Aldi for in-season fruits/veg and staples
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »
    It can be enough money to feed an adult, depending on where you live. In Canada, the average is $200 per person per month. In the US, it seems to be $100 per month. Check out Freedom in a Budget. She posts budgeting videos and financial tips, but is also sharing her weight loss on a budget. She spends $25 per week (she lives in Florida, US) and does the weight watchers points too (you will notice that in her latest videos she spends closer to $50 per week, but that's because she just moved in with her husband and now shops for two). She shares delicious recipes too! I don't do the WW points, but I enjoy watching her videos still.

Here's a link to her weight loss playlist:

How to spend $100 a month on groceries videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEXqDrCw23Q and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMe5XShpWYk&t=907s

Good luck! ox

where did you get these numbers? while it is possible someone could eat for this amount (200/month in Canada, 100/month in the USA), I can't imagine these being averages?!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    It can be enough money to feed an adult, depending on where you live. In Canada, the average is $200 per person per month. In the US, it seems to be $100 per month. Check out Freedom in a Budget. She posts budgeting videos and financial tips, but is also sharing her weight loss on a budget. She spends $25 per week (she lives in Florida, US) and does the weight watchers points too (you will notice that in her latest videos she spends closer to $50 per week, but that's because she just moved in with her husband and now shops for two). She shares delicious recipes too! I don't do the WW points, but I enjoy watching her videos still.

How to spend $100 a month on groceries videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEXqDrCw23Q and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMe5XShpWYk&t=907s

Good luck! ox

where did you get these numbers? while it is possible someone could eat for this amount (200/month in Canada, 100/month in the USA), I can't imagine these being averages?!

I agree, they sound more like "with a little effort, technically it's possible to feed one person with this amount". I can eat for $25 a week if I'm careful and plan well, but no way is that the US average.
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You may get some good tips from these folks - http://www.frugalwoods.com/category/food/

Also, you can get a free ecopy of the cookbook "Good and Cheap" here: https://www.leannebrown.com/ I've cooked a few recipes from it and they all hold up.
  • KailaLaFlor
    KailaLaFlor Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I eat separately from my family, so I buy what I need for about that.

Biggest thing for me is buying huge bags of frozen vegetables (love broccoli and onion/pepper mix) and roasting up a sheet pan or two full in the oven.

-Add some teriyaki to that and serve with rice.
    -Add it to pasta with a little cream cheese.
    -Add it in an omlette.
    -Use it as a side dish to some protein.
    -Eat it with roasted potatoes.

That's basically my lunch/dinner everyday. Just add in some protein.

Oatmeal for breakfast with raisins and nuts.

• thaithyme
    thaithyme Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1. Shop farmer's markets/local if you can. Often times you can get good discounts.
    2. Look for an Asian market. Produce is super cheap.
    3. Dried legumes, rice, lentils, etc. Macros per dollar are amazing.
    4. Shop sales at any of your stores. I mostly shop King Soopers with my member card, which also saves me a good bit. For instance, chicken thighs are on sale for $1/pound at my KS this week with my card.
    5. Meal plan but be willing to adjust. If I wrote a meal plan with asparagus but brussels sprouts are on sale, I get the sale stuff.
    6. Prepare as much as you can. Prepared foods are more expensive and not as good for you (in most cases).
    7. Optimize dollars versus macros. Things like celery, iceberg lettuce, etc are not worth buying in the sense that you gain no real nutritional value for the money you're spending.
  • judywalsh97
    judywalsh97 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Definitely dried beans & rice. Like the people who said bread, if you look up a 'mug loaf' by James morton its such an easy bread recipe and it'd be much lower in calories than premade bread cause theres no fat.
    Lean meat is tricky, tinned fish is great, chicken thighs are so cheap but fatty. 'Stir fry' packs made from off cuts are generally great value.
    Seasonal fruit/veg is generally cheaper than exotic out of season stuff (bye bye berries & avocado)
    Try plan meals around the weekly specials where you shop.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Good luck! ox

I agree, they sound more like "with a little effort, technically it's possible to feed one person with this amount". I can eat for $25 a week if I'm careful and plan well, but no way is that the US average.

Agree. I live in Seattle. Not exactly a cheap place to live. For instance, eggs are $1.80 for a dozen...milk can be had for $2.39 a gallon, but you have to shop around for it and go to the stores using staples as loss leaders. I am pretty careful because I'm doing this, "How low can I go?" experiment - and I buy any treats and spices and condiments at the Dollar store or from the bulk area at my Kroger. I buy store-ground/grind-it-yourself peanut butter which is a great deal. $1.65 or so for a pound of organic as opposed to what, $4.50 for Adams? I use coupons. Kroger is great for savings if you pay attention - but it's work and I can't just go in and buy name brand items, I buy all store brand when possible.

I always want to say to the lady next to me, "But if you buy this store brand paper towels you get twice as much for the same price," or "This butter/milk/sausage is $1.75 less for the same thing."

I manage to keep my mouth shut, but the struggle is real!!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you live. I know some prices posted in US cities are crazy crazy low to me. I live in rural Manitoba.

Anyway, I would pick one big item a week to “stock” your pantry with: a large bag of oatmeal, a large bag of potatoes, a large bag of rice, canned goods, dry goods, etc. Then you will have to really plan the rest of your week, make a meal plan, but individual fresh fruits and veg, buy on sale, look for coupons, frozen veggies, frozen fruit, things you can split and freeze or just ration through a week or two. When we were broke newly weds I bought powdered milk. Not because we love it to drink but then we could add it to recipes and things like oatmeal and it kept forever without us having to keep an eye on the date on a large jug of milk. We bought our meat in large pkg and froze it in small serving sizes.

That is very little to feed yourself with, if you can, see if there is a community food pantry or something similar in your area.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Food (and cooking experience) is highly individual so this might not apply but I could live pretty happily on $25 a week if I had to until my situation improved. Meat, eggs, beans and vegetables are all healthful and affordable where I live.

I'd buy 7lbs or spend up to $20 on meat (my preference would be for ground beef), get a dozen eggs, a bag of beans and spend the last little bit on cheap, versatile vegetables - cabbage, onions, canned tomatoes, a bag of frozen vegetables etc. If I didn't already have a full pantry and was starting from scratch I'd spend $10 on meat that first week (or two if need be) and buy more beans. I'd use the savings to get whatever pantry items I needed like salt, pepper, coffee, tea, vinegar etc.
  • jb050794
    jb050794 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think this is doable. This month, I've spent about $80 dollars on groceries. I've been trying to eat out less. My grocery trip 2 weeks ago, I spent about 55 bucks and will have enough food for the rest of Jan. I bought eggs, bread, tortillas, greek yogurt, some fruits and veggies, turkey, tuna, almond milk. For feb, I am going to try and eat out even less.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Check out krazy coupon lady website. They tell you how to combine coupons for free or nearly free items in your area. In the last week I have gotten free del monte fruit cups, Hershey bars, cheese, fig bars, special k, muscle milk bars, pine cleaners, razors, makeup, laundry soap. I use these major discounts to expand my budget and pantry. I stock up when free or really cheap and use to have a good pantry full of stuff to cook from
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Went to Sam's this last weekend, bought 6 bags of pasta for $6. Each bag has 8 servings. That's 48 servings for $6. I've been cooking a serving with 1/2 cup of sauce, some frozen veg and an egg or two for the last couple of days. Comes to Just about 500 calories per meal, probably at about a $1 a meal, and hits a lot of nutritional criteria.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/mm-import-fusilli-6-pk-1-lb/prod21223553.ip
    3j1y7a5709qh.jpg

You can shop online without a membership (there's a small fee) or tag along with a friend that has a membership.