Looking for "on the go" breakfast ideas, and lunch ideas while at work.

Options
lisadicken805
lisadicken805 Posts: 8 Member
edited January 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everyone! I would love some suggestions for easy breakfasts and lunches that can be made ahead of time. Not a fan of yogurt, which makes it hard. I tend to eat the same things, get bored and then splurge! Suggestions please!

Replies

• emilyp22988
    emilyp22988 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What are your favorite flavors and cuisines?
  • lisadicken805
    Options
    I love cheese! I like most veges and fruits. I love chicken, but tend to get bored with it because I tend to prepare it the same way. I like tuna, and would welcome some tuna salad recipes. I like eggs, but not hard boiled. I think I could get into oatmeal.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    What facilities do tou have at work, fridge, microwave, toaster etc, only include things you're willing to use
  • lisadicken805
    Options
    Fridge, freezer, microwave and toaster oven.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal at work in the mornings. I keep a bowl and spoon at my desk, so when I'm getting ready in the morning at home, I can just throw a packet of oatmeal in my purse and go. Quick and easy :)
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you love cheese, how about mini egg muffins? You can add whatever veggies, meat and cheese you like so plenty of variety there. They freeze and reheat well too. Overnight oats are another customisable, make-ahead option, as are chia puddings. You'll find plenty of recipes and ideas online for inspiration.

Soups are good for lunch - you can make your own or just heat up a can. Depending on how much time you have for meal prep, you could cook up and portion out veggies, potato (or cauliflower mash), and a protein of your choice. Again, these things typically freeze well and are simple to reheat in the microwave. Another idea would be to make more food at dinner time and then take leftovers for lunch the next day.

You mentioned liking tuna; I've been making a tuna and bean pate-type 'thing' (for lack of a better word!) by blending together a can of mixed beans, a a can of tuna, a bit of quark and whatever flavourings I fancy (this week it's lemon juice, dill and garlic). High in fibre and protein, which I find filling. I spread it on crispbreads but you could put it in a sandwich, in a wrap, on a salad etc.
  • gjw1911
    gjw1911 Posts: 31 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    When I was actively cutting,
    For breakfast it was protein bars with fruit or overnight oats,
    For lunch, I would eat the Progresso lite soups just get a different flavor for each day. Then have light snacks between my meals at 10 am and 3 pm. Normally protein powder shakes with PB2 in them, protein bars, apple or banana, or a serving of mixed vegetables.

I am a boring eater, and to this day I pretty much eat the same meals every day. I just meal prep now.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Tuna is great, but be careful about eating it at work. It tends to smell and the smell doesn't dissipate quickly. But, this is a tuna mix I used to eat a lot.

1 can of tuna in water
    1/4 stock of celery diced
    1 tbsp chopped red onion
    1 baby carrot diced
    1 tbsp stone ground mustard
    1/4 an avocado
    pepper
    celery salt

You can also make tuna "melts". Put that tuna mix on top of 4 spread out tomato slices, and top each pile with 1/2 thin slice of cheese. Put in the oven/toaster oven until the cheese bubbles. The transfer each tomato slice onto a rice cake.
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My favourite breakfast at the moment is overnight oats with Quark, dried berries and frozen strawberries. I throw it all in a leak proof beaker, add some water and give it a good shake and then leave it in the fridge overnight. I eat it at my desk the next morning. Easy, quick and keeps me full until lunchtime so no snacking.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I do up a batch of omelette muffins for the week. (Eggs, cheese and bacon, what's not to love!)
    Sometimes I do up little bento boxes of chicken, cheeses, veggies, fruit, crackers etc. Great for grazing at my desk.
  • lisadicken805
    Options
    Wow! Great suggestions everyone! I will definitely be trying some of these, if not all! Thanks!!
  • lisadicken805
    Options
    2 questions: 1) What is quark? 2). If I make egg muffins on Sunday, are they good through Friday? Thanks.
  • juliamc183
    juliamc183 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My go-to lunch at work most days is a basic chicken salad. Cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber, plenty of spinach and some ready-to-eat chicken. My supermarket does different varieties of chicken eg. barbecue, firecracker, tikka, etc. so it's easy to change the flavour up a bit if you get bored. Similarly it's always possible to add some olives, red onions, etc to make the veggies a bit more diverse.

There are probably more exciting lunches out there, but for something that I can put together in five minutes and tastes good, it's not half bad!
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    For me, lunch is the previous nights dinner leftovers warmed up in the microwave. I'm lazy and don't mind eating the same thing over. Quick breakfast is a English muffin sandwich with 1 scrambled egg and a slice of cheese in it. Takes less then 15 minutes to prep and eat. Oatmeal with some fruit should be pretty quick and easy also.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    MFP had a recipe a couple of years ago for sweet potato/egg/peppers burritos. YUM! They freeze well and warm up very well. Tasty and healthy. Pretty sure all you need to do is cook the potato with a little onion. Add in peppers (maybe some black beans?) then scramble the eggs in...wrap in a low carb tortilla et viola! Tasty and healthy
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @lisadicken805 quark is a subatomic particle, lol
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I like to make egg "muffins". There are many post on pinterest. They are great to have in the am. Pop in the microwave for a bit and they are great for on the go.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Two of my favorite lunches:

Turkey Burgers:
    1 lb ground turkey breast
    1 lb ground turkey
    1/4 c - 1/2 c chopped fresh basil
    1/4 c diced onion
    minced garlic
    2 tsp mustard
    s & p to taste

Smoosh all of that together, weigh into 4 ounce portions, pan fry.
    Each burger is around 144 calories, and they're even tasty cold.

Tuna Avocado salad:
    Two cans albacore tuna in water (5oz cans)
    One medium to large smooshed up avocado
    diced celery and onion
    Sploosh mustard
    s&p to taste

Calories vary depending on the weight of the avocado, I usually eat this open faced on ezekial bread.
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Egg muffins are great, I find they are still good on Thursday, haven't had any left for Fridays.
    For lunches I make chicken and rice bowls, they last easily until Friday. I change them up with Mexican, Thai, or whatever flavors I want that week. They also freeze and reheat well.
  • karesejohnson
    karesejohnson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Toast topped with any of the following: avocado, peanut butter, or real fruit jam.