Need Deadlift advice

Options
1lone_wolf
1lone_wolf Posts: 57 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
cyj58oojfvh1.png
Hey all, I started deadlifting using the hook grip technique. I like it but it feels like it’s going to rip my thumbs off. FYI: I’m trying to stay away from using straps. Any advice/help/personal experiences are welcome! Thanks. Peace.

Replies

• Rich_addict
    Rich_addict Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Personally I find the hook grip is comfortable for some and just painful for others. It takes some practice and a few deep cuts before you get use to it but if you still not comfortable with it, rather use straps or chalk.
  • 1lone_wolf
    Options
    Personally I find the hook grip is comfortable for some and just painful for others. It takes some practice and a few deep cuts before you get use to it but if you still not comfortable with it, rather use straps or chalk.

Thanks! I might try chalk. I’ve only been using hook grip for about 2 weeks so there’s still time to adjust.
  • 1lone_wolf
    Options
    Hit a new PR using hook grip today. Felt like my thumbs were gonna fall off but happy. Lol
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Having you tried the alternating grip... Personally, I like using a hexbar
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A hook grip takes quite some time to adjust to for many people. I'll typically use it for higher volume and moderately heavy weights. I'll switch to an alternating grip for maxing out and very heavy weights.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Buy some stretchy athletic wrap. And put it around your thumbs.
  • 1lone_wolf
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Buy some stretchy athletic wrap. And put it around your thumbs.

Nice! Thanks! I’ll try that.
  • 1lone_wolf
    Options
    Having you tried the alternating grip... Personally, I like using a hexbar

Yeah, I started with the alternating grip but felt like I was losing some strength. Just by switching to hook grip I’ve added 20 lbs to my deadlift... Even though it feels like it’s going to rip off my thumbs haha!

And I’ve used the hexbar but personally don’t like it as much as the traditional straight bar.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I use chalk and mixed grip.

ETA: I used hook grip once and hated it.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I’ve only ever used mixed grip. Hook grip feels like I’m breaking my thumbs lol