Help with my lean bulk plan

Options
Sup everyone!!
My name is Will and I’m an 19 years old man trying to put on some mass! Long story short, I’ve always loved to stay lean as my face would look chiseled and I was confident (with a shirt on) but now older, I felt in love with the gym and I would like to gain muscle to look more muscular. To give you an idea about my genetic, I’m around 12% bodyfat right now, wighting 165 and I’m 5’10. Im the type of guy who puts on fat really easily. I was a chubby kid before and I trained last couple of years to look fresh and lean. But I am ready now to focus on gaining muscle! I calculated my tdee and everything. I was looking to eat about 3000 calories, as my tdee is 2600 cals a day. With 180g protein, 350g of carbs and 97g of fats! I would like to utilise intermittent fasting here and there for the health benefits and fat loss reasons... what do you guys think I should do? In terms of nutrition and training! Any advice would be helpful thanks

Replies

• spechtmi
    spechtmi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You might want to try starting slightly lower for a few weeks and work up to 3000, that way if you do start to gain more fat than you like you can ease off. Having said that at 19 this probably won't be an issue and you'll probably find 3100 or even 3200 is fine.

The final figure will probably depend on the program you are using - as AnvilHead said grab a professionally designed program and stick with it you are on this journey for the long term, years not weeks.
  • Willbelec
    Willbelec Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    spechtmi wrote: »
    You might want to try starting slightly lower for a few weeks and work up to 3000, that way if you do start to gain more fat than you like you can ease off. Having said that at 19 this probably won't be an issue and you'll probably find 3100 or even 3200 is fine.

The final figure will probably depend on the program you are using - as AnvilHead said grab a professionally designed program and stick with it you are on this journey for the long term, years not weeks.
    Your right man thanks for the comment appreciate it!
  • Willbelec
    Willbelec Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    1) Your calorie goal looks fine and should yield a sensible weight gain. Log your food and exercise accurately and tweak it as you go according to results.

2) A little heavier than necessary on the protein, but that certainly isn't going to hurt anything. Macro split is fine if that's what works for you.

3) Intermittent fasting is all the fad right now, but the "health benefits" of it are highly overblown and hyped.

4) You're not going to lose fat while in a caloric surplus (eating more calories than you burn/gaining weight), no matter what time of the day or how often you're eating. If you're gaining weight, a certain percentage of it is going to be fat. Intermittent fasting won't change that.

5) Choose a professionally designed progressive strength training plan (as in one of the many possibilities in this thread), stick with it and be patient.

Okay thanks man really really helpful! Like your approach!
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm on my first bulk too. the hardest part is the mental battle. you have to let go of the chiseled and allow the mass to come on. once your a few weeks in and are settle in the program it gets easier.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    You seem to have a good handle on the basics, a bulk isn't any different than a cut in that it's not rocket science. You just need to eat a slight bit more than you burn and workout and you'll gain. The real issue is the head games that you'll play with yourself as you go up in weight. As mentioned above, any of us who bulk tend to go through those moments of doubting ourselves. You'll see more fat than is there, you'll want to stop and cut, and sometimes there are times when you should do a mini-comp or control day or two, but you have to fight through those issues.

Good luck, you can always post your progress and ask questions here or add some friends to help you through this. There are a lot of us here who have done this and are familiar with what it takes.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    1) Your calorie goal looks fine and should yield a sensible weight gain. Log your food and exercise accurately and tweak it as you go according to results.

2) A little heavier than necessary on the protein, but that certainly isn't going to hurt anything. Macro split is fine if that's what works for you.

3) Intermittent fasting is all the fad right now, but the "health benefits" of it are highly overblown and hyped.

4) You're not going to lose fat while in a caloric surplus (eating more calories than you burn/gaining weight), no matter what time of the day or how often you're eating. If you're gaining weight, a certain percentage of it is going to be fat. Intermittent fasting won't change that.

5) Choose a professionally designed progressive strength training plan (as in one of the many possibilities in this thread), stick with it and be patient.

@Anvilhead checked all the boxes. Good luck on your bulk!