How many carbs on a low carb/high protein diet?

Options
I generally eat between 1400 and 1600 calories each day and my carb intake is around 25% and protein is at 45% ! Are these reasonable? Or should my carb intake be lower? So far I have been successful in steady weight loss just curious though! Thanks in advance :wink:

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1500 calories as well. I don't like to call what I do "low carb" since I normally have around 100-125 grams of carbs per day. But my ratio goals are 30% carbs, 50% protein, and 20% fat.

I am actually cycling, so every 4th day I have around 1800 calories, 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat. I do this to curb cravings and to keep my metabolism from ever going into conservation mode because I never let it think that I am not going to "refeed" so to speak.

It seems to be working. When I first tried it, I did NO EXERCISE and lost 1.8 pounds. Last week with exercise, I lost 2.6 pounds. And I haven't craved, binged, etc.

But I would think that your goals are fine as long as they work for you. My ratios simply are what works for me.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have at least 60 grams of carbs every day.

If you go much lower, you'll get into ketosis, which may or may not be dangerous. Jury's out on that one, but better safe than sorry!
  • avahsmiles4me
    avahsmiles4me Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have at least 60 grams of carbs every day.

If you go much lower, you'll get into ketosis, which may or may not be dangerous. Jury's out on that one, but better safe than sorry!

I agree with this statement!