Are sweet potatoes considered a vegetable serving?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Rice is too under that definition.

I think of it as a starch in that I wouldn't have fish, sweet potato, bread as a meal, I'd have fish, sweet potato, and asparagus (and maybe some other non starchy veg).

The only reason I think it matters is that in the average US diet people tend not to eat enough non starchy veg (often very few) but plenty of starchy sides. I think it's helpful for me that I grew up thinking of a complete meal as involving a pattern where you'd have some non starchy veg with every dinner (steak, corn, salad (with a variety of veg), perhaps). I currently try to have a significant portion of non starchy veg with almost every meal. I do think it's technically a veg (as is potato) and while I would also have a non starchy veg I don't think it's a big deal if someone doesn't, nutritionally, if their diet includes a reasonable amount of them regularly.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think of potato and sweet potato as my non-veggie side. Like @lemurcat12, my meals tend to follow a protein, starch and veg patters where the starch is potato/sweet potato, rice, pasta, bread, couscous and then non-starchy veggies or salad. If I ate a meal that was potato or sweet potato without starchy veg, I wouldn't consider that I'd eaten enough veg that day.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I usually just consider anything that's botanically a vegetable as a vegetable. I also consider some savory fruit (eggplant, bell peppers, tomatoes, avacado, etc) as vegetables too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    I usually just consider anything that's botanically a vegetable as a vegetable. I also consider some savory fruit (eggplant, bell peppers, tomatoes, avacado, etc) as vegetables too.

That's what I do too. Technically any edible plant or plant part is a vegetable but I generally don't think of nuts or seeds in that way. Starch has never been a factor for me.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options

I thought nightshades are vegetables...?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I hope so because I didn't feel like cooking a lot of veggies tonight and felt like a sweet potato instead...according to the reports I got in a lot of fiber (52g in total) because of it so I am satisfied but lots of people say stay away from potatoes because they're starchy vegetables but I like sweet potatoes and I think they actually are helping my satiety and weight loss...white potatoes not so much.

and those people would be wrong...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'd say no to it being a "vegetable" and more of a complex carb like rice

I would consider rice to be a vegetable as well...it grows.

I would consider a potato or sweet potato to be a serving of vegetable...but I'd also make sure I was having other non-starchy vegetables as well.

If I had a steak with a serving of potatoes and my usual double serving of non starchy vegetables and someone asked me how many servings of vegetables I had, I would say 3...
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    It *is* a vegetable but I use it interchangeably with bread/rice/pasta. If I'm making a meal of meat, green beans and potatoes I consider that my starchy carb that just so happens to be another vegetable.

I meal prep on Sundays and I remember a FB group ripping me apart for having ONLY potatoes and sloppy joes for lunch (which I might add had a decent amount of tomato and onion inside!) for "not enough vegetables"
    It's important to remember most people lack nutritional knowledge, and also common sense.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

I thought nightshades are vegetables...?

Botanically speaking, any seed bearing structure of a flowering plant is fruit.

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Love sweet potatoes! I will bake one and eat a little salt on it with grilled chicken and it's delicious. Sweet potatoes go nicely with chicken.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to fill out your micro nutrients, it's not very useful to just count "vegetable" servings, since vegetables vary wildy from one to the other.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If you served me up meat and sweet potato, I'd also want some green veg, but I'd probably also want some sort of evil "white" food like potato, rice, or pasta.
  • LaurenD63
    LaurenD63 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to load my baked potatoes up with sour cream, cheese, bacon bits, and butter. Since I've been doing my latest fast, I have actually added sauteed onions and chopped mushrooms as a topping with coconut oil. It tastes delicious!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sauteed spinach is great on baked potato too.
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    megpie41 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There are nothing wrong with eating sweet potato, but I would think it more like a replacement for bread and pasta than vegetables

OP, regarding fiber, I don't get how you would get 52 g of fiber from them (which would be an enormous amount). USDA says they have about 3 g of fiber (and 86 calories) in 100 g. But I would agree they are nutritious and would not avoid them!

I agree about the fiber. No way a sweet potato has 52g of fiber (unless it's the size of a watermelon). There are about 5-6g/cup. For most people, 52g of fiber would cause some stomach/bowel distress since most aren't used to that much fiber (especially from one meal).

Oh sorry I meant that it made my total fiber count for the day 52g because it has a good bit of fiber in it, not that the sweet potato actually has 52g of fiber (my bad).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I love potatoes. They make up like 90% of my toddlers diet. Hahaha. I’m kidding but he really likes potatoes. Most meals the only part he eats is the potato and the meat. I don’t know what they are classified as. I normally include another vegetable with my meals in addition to potato.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There are nothing wrong with eating sweet potato, but I would think it more like a replacement for bread and pasta than vegetables

This is how I think of it. I think tubers are wonderful, but would not use them as my vegetable course, but instead of grains (rice, oats, pasta, etc.). I would not have them in place of/as substitute for non starchy veg, at least not on a regular basis. I'd have both.

In other words, technically they are a vegetable, but culinarily and nutritionally I consider them a starch.

OP, regarding fiber, I don't get how you would get 52 g of fiber from them (which would be an enormous amount). USDA says they have about 3 g of fiber (and 86 calories) in 100 g. But I would agree they are nutritious and would not avoid them!

This is pretty much how I treat potatoes and anything super starchy that's technically a veggie.
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I eat low carb paleo, and I'm having baked sweet potato fries as part of my post workout snack. I love them! They are vegetables, but I count them as starches.

how low carb are you? when I was doing low carb- there was no room for potatoes at all. Too many carbs?
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    how low carb are you? when I was doing low carb- there was no room for potatoes at all. Too many carbs?

Not that low, around 100g net. I can eat about 130 total, and fit a decent amount of fruits and vegetables as long as I weigh and portion them.

I do it for health reasons, but I've healed a considerable amount, and my activity levels increased. So I was able to add a bit more the last couple of weeks without major issues ☺.

Edit: I'm also gaining weight, and close to maintenance (finally!), so going too low carb wouldn't have helped much.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I love potatoes. They make up like 90% of my toddlers diet. Hahaha. I’m kidding but he really likes potatoes. Most meals the only part he eats is the potato and the meat. I don’t know what they are classified as. I normally include another vegetable with my meals in addition to potato.

I also eat a lot of potatoes, but I try to add additional vegetables as well. Tonight I am making pork carnitas along with sweet potato hash. I shred my sweet potatoes and saute them with onions, peppers, mushrooms and spinach (as well as any other additional veggies I want to use up) and seasonings. It's super tasty. My husband likes it for breakfast with eggs. I will also sometimes add any leftover meat that works (steak, chicken, sausage, bacon, etc.)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »

I also eat a lot of potatoes, but I try to add additional vegetables as well. Tonight I am making pork carnitas along with sweet potato hash. I shred my sweet potatoes and saute them with onions, peppers, mushrooms and spinach (as well as any other additional veggies I want to use up) and seasonings. It's super tasty. My husband likes it for breakfast with eggs. I will also sometimes add any leftover meat that works (steak, chicken, sausage, bacon, etc.)

That sounds delightful. I want to try that. My husband hates sweet potatoes though :(