Struggling with alcohol!

Options
2»

Replies

• faithfulheart888
    faithfulheart888 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    poodreaux wrote: »
    I made a commitment not to drink in Jan and have lost 19 lbs in 23 days so far. The biggest difference though it what I "Added" to my routine. 1 huge green drink everyone morning and I sweat doing something for 20 to 30 min every single day. I also stay within my range of calories on this app everyday and hit my daily 4 metrics. I have also added plenty of water everyday. Once I lose 40 lbs I am back to alcohol in moderation and will keep up my green drink and sweating every day. :sweat_smile:

Wow congrats on that amazing loss!!!
  • karamauerhan81
    karamauerhan81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drinking is always a big thing for me when I'm trying to lose weight because I enjoy a glass of wine or two while I'm making dinner, and my manfriend and I like to go out on the weekends. We just started a fitness challenge where we decided to assign points for various things rather than just tracking weight loss (exercise, meeting calorie goals, drinking water, etc.), so we're going to limit ourselves to 2 (maybe 3) drinking "sessions" per week. So, we can have drinks on perhaps Saturday night and then over brunch Sunday or whatever works that week. If we stick to that, we get points, and whoever has the most points at the end of 60 days wins the decided on prize.
  • faithfulheart888
    Options
    Drinking is always a big thing for me when I'm trying to lose weight because I enjoy a glass of wine or two while I'm making dinner, and my manfriend and I like to go out on the weekends. We just started a fitness challenge where we decided to assign points for various things rather than just tracking weight loss (exercise, meeting calorie goals, drinking water, etc.), so we're going to limit ourselves to 2 (maybe 3) drinking "sessions" per week. So, we can have drinks on perhaps Saturday night and then over brunch Sunday or whatever works that week. If we stick to that, we get points, and whoever has the most points at the end of 60 days wins the decided on prize.

Ooooh I LOVE this!
  • smudge521
    smudge521 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you drink wine or hard liquor try mixing it more than half with plain seltzer water. I find this helps really limit my intake and calories consumed but I can still have several drinks and get a good buzz.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Maybe I’m the weirdo here, but I have a glass of wine every day. Five ounces of merlot is 125 calories. That’s a pretty measly pour, so I exercise to “earn” a bit more than that.

By the way, 1200 calories is the absolute minimum amount per day. I’d suggest ratcheting down your rate of loss to half or one pound per week. You can still fit in a glass of wine.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, and it makes such a difference to my success....at the moment I'm trying to keep it down to 2 nights a week. My husband and I have such an ingrained weekend habit of getting in to the wine on the popcorn on the weekends after the kids are in bed though, it's hard to break. And he doesn't particularly want to stop so I feel like he feels abandoned in our little weekend ritual......sigh....
  • Sammisummers
    Sammisummers Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I am kind of in the same situation as you, I enjoy a social drink but it really pushes my calorie intake up and I usually end up going over - also I find it a lot harder to stay motivated when I've had a few or if I'm hungover!
    You said that you enjoy a gin and tonic, gin is one of the lower calories drinks especially if it's mixed with diet tonic.
    Maybe just limit yourself to drinking a two drink limit or on the weekends?
  • grandmacj699
    grandmacj699 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the positive response everyone gives to encourage you to not drink alcohol. I would just like to say that I grew up in a Alcoholic home, my father, his family were all Alcoholics. My youngest son just passed away and the cause was alcohol. My heart is broken and this is something that I will never get over, I will learn to live with it but it has been the hardest thing I have had to face in my life. I never drank that often and I haven't in many years. Please understand that Alcoholics have a disease and they are the only ones that can decide to stop and even if you only have say a drink a day it becomes a habit that is so very hard to quit. Most addictions are, it took a heart attack for me to finally realize that I needed to quit smoking. I did 11 years ago and it was not easy but the difference in the way I feel is great.
    I apologize if I sound preachy but my son passed away 2 months ago and I am trying working at staying healthier and keep my sugar(diabetic) under control.
    I mean no offense to anyone, I just hope something that I wrote will help someone else.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I like the positive response everyone gives to encourage you to not drink alcohol. I would just like to say that I grew up in a Alcoholic home, my father, his family were all Alcoholics. My youngest son just passed away and the cause was alcohol. My heart is broken and this is something that I will never get over, I will learn to live with it but it has been the hardest thing I have had to face in my life. I never drank that often and I haven't in many years. Please understand that Alcoholics have a disease and they are the only ones that can decide to stop and even if you only have say a drink a day it becomes a habit that is so very hard to quit. Most addictions are, it took a heart attack for me to finally realize that I needed to quit smoking. I did 11 years ago and it was not easy but the difference in the way I feel is great.
    I apologize if I sound preachy but my son passed away 2 months ago and I am trying working at staying healthier and keep my sugar(diabetic) under control.
    I mean no offense to anyone, I just hope something that I wrote will help someone else.

I'm so sorry for you, a parent should never have to bury their child x
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Maybe I’m the weirdo here, but I have a glass of wine every day. Five ounces of merlot is 125 calories. That’s a pretty measly pour, so I exercise to “earn” a bit more than that.

By the way, 1200 calories is the absolute minimum amount per day. I’d suggest ratcheting down your rate of loss to half or one pound per week. You can still fit in a glass of wine.

I think if it was just the one glass she wanted to fit in, it wouldn't be so much of an issue :)
  • pauliet7
    pauliet7 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi, i was sober for 10 years. Early motivation was about keeping family together rather than health issues. Initially it was tough but when my association changed it became easier. Your partner needs to be on board if this ride is to become easier.

I do drink these days after much self examination and honesty and much support from my wife.

Although i have gone back to drinking in moderation i never forget MY personal consequences of alcohol overindulgence. Now i find a training goal makes a huge difference to my will power. The training goals i have in mind are maybe charity runs or relatively short distance half marathons.

Although these may seem out of reach it is possible. I recently completed a 200 mile bike ride for charity. No ego’s around me just support and motivation. The kind of people that have been in our shoes already.

Best wishes on your goals
    Paul
  • justinejacksonm
    justinejacksonm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize with this post. In 2011I had an eye opening moment when I realized I weighed more than ever before, woke up with a swollen ankle, was always tired, etc. I went through a very tumultuous stressful period and found staying up late (all night) having drinks, listening to music, etc and sleeping most of the day was my new lifestyle. I started and stopped for a year or so. But with each stage my shape in improved. I realized I needed to cut out drinking and was OK to. My mind and body knew it was better so I stopped craving it.

A couple years ago I started dating my boyfriend and during the week I'd try to exercise and eat right (not very diligently) during my work week and drink on the weekend so I was more or less maintaining. We'd go out to eat usually both Sat and Sun and drinking and snacking on cheese and crackers and stuff like it's a party became our routine. As I started living with him I stopped entirely. I had no workout gear at his house, he'd come home and our date night drinks together became a daily thing.

I'm settled there to where I can have a workout routine at home now and we are finally fixing our diets. We have very different shopping/eating styles so we have what I think is finally a happy compromise. Other than a couple nights recently for my bday and stuff I've been very good and not drinking during the week anymore. I don't crave it like I did at first cause I'm busy working out and it feels good. The downside is that I've undone all results of hard work from about 2011-2013. It took about 3 years. Mostly maintaining, otherwise I'm certain I'd be ALOT more over my weight.

Believe me I get it. Having a couple drinks is very relaxing and they taste good! Just like snacking, drinking is one of those things that is something fun to do, especially when there's nothing else to do. We built a tiki bar at the Poconos house and every weekend at the Poconos (tiki bar open or not) is all about drinking, etc. Corned beef hash for breakfast, chips and dip, Sunday brunch with a bottle of challenge champagne. It is a lifestyle that knowingly put me at super high risk for serious (and in my case Sudden) weight gain. I've gained about 10 pounds since fall.

He's motivated too, though he has had a couple beers and stuff after work he doesn't have much work to do. He's naturally tall and skinny and one of those guys who just doesn't have to worry about weight. But we're on board together.

This was a really long story, I apologize, but long way to get there in sharing how I understand how it's easy to get into an enjoyable routine and very very hard to get out. It's not about having a drinking "problem" or that there's something inside you that you need to address. Maybe there is, I don't know, but try baby steps. Try mocktails or tea or something when u crave drinking (but be careful of calories). Try maybe off and on days. If u need a drink on an off day, swap it out.
  • faithfulheart888
    Options

You caused me no offence whatsoever...and I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss. It was hard to read how much you've suffered at the hands of alcohol and addiction. An eye opener for sure, and that's why I want to knock this drinking on the head now, because I fear that it will escalate.
  • faithfulheart888
    Options
    I can sympathize with this post. In 2011I had an eye opening moment when I realized I weighed more than ever before, woke up with a swollen ankle, was always tired, etc. I went through a very tumultuous stressful period and found staying up late (all night) having drinks, listening to music, etc and sleeping most of the day was my new lifestyle. I started and stopped for a year or so. But with each stage my shape in improved. I realized I needed to cut out drinking and was OK to. My mind and body knew it was better so I stopped craving it.

A couple years ago I started dating my boyfriend and during the week I'd try to exercise and eat right (not very diligently) during my work week and drink on the weekend so I was more or less maintaining. We'd go out to eat usually both Sat and Sun and drinking and snacking on cheese and crackers and stuff like it's a party became our routine. As I started living with him I stopped entirely. I had no workout gear at his house, he'd come home and our date night drinks together became a daily thing.

I'm settled there to where I can have a workout routine at home now and we are finally fixing our diets. We have very different shopping/eating styles so we have what I think is finally a happy compromise. Other than a couple nights recently for my bday and stuff I've been very good and not drinking during the week anymore. I don't crave it like I did at first cause I'm busy working out and it feels good. The downside is that I've undone all results of hard work from about 2011-2013. It took about 3 years. Mostly maintaining, otherwise I'm certain I'd be ALOT more over my weight.

Believe me I get it. Having a couple drinks is very relaxing and they taste good! Just like snacking, drinking is one of those things that is something fun to do, especially when there's nothing else to do. We built a tiki bar at the Poconos house and every weekend at the Poconos (tiki bar open or not) is all about drinking, etc. Corned beef hash for breakfast, chips and dip, Sunday brunch with a bottle of challenge champagne. It is a lifestyle that knowingly put me at super high risk for serious (and in my case Sudden) weight gain. I've gained about 10 pounds since fall.

He's motivated too, though he has had a couple beers and stuff after work he doesn't have much work to do. He's naturally tall and skinny and one of those guys who just doesn't have to worry about weight. But we're on board together.

This was a really long story, I apologize, but long way to get there in sharing how I understand how it's easy to get into an enjoyable routine and very very hard to get out. It's not about having a drinking "problem" or that there's something inside you that you need to address. Maybe there is, I don't know, but try baby steps. Try mocktails or tea or something when u crave drinking (but be careful of calories). Try maybe off and on days. If u need a drink on an off day, swap it out.

Wow thanks for sharing! I can relate to this too. It's not really a case of massive addiction or a problem as such, but more just because I have got into the habit of overindulgence!
  • WeightStripper85
    WeightStripper85 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I cut down half my drinking at a time. Wherever you are at...drink half that much.

In a couple months.

Cut another half.

3 more months.

Cut it in half again.

Then...by the end of the year. You're done. You're free.

I'm definitely not a puritan and think booze is fine...it's just not necessarily for everybody, and maybe it's great but not right now.

If you want to get in shape.

It's the perfect target to eliminate from your diet. You have to find what works for you, and what works for a long time.

Just persist. If you screw up...start again next day. And the next day. And the day after that.

It'll work.

What he said for sure!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a big bummer. I don’t want to just have one or 2 drinks, that’s like pointless. And I really like hard cider which has ridiculous calories.
  • wryone4
    wryone4 Posts: 118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I definitely let my occasional evening bourbon creep into the nightly relaxation routine. I KNOW it impacts my fitness, so I made a conscious effort to just say no. So, now I keep it to Friday and Saturday, and occasionally Sunday. But, I make sure to log it, too. The first week I did find myself wishing I could enjoy that evening relaxation, but I stuck to my guns. Each week it gets easier. Just be careful that if you limit to certain days that you don't over-indulge on the "on-days."

If you want to keep the evening drink, perhaps move from 3 to 1 a night. You will see impact from that reduction alone, and it might make it easier to taper further.

Good luck!
  • summeroflove99
    summeroflove99 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem as you when it comes to alcohol. I’ve just done dry January and it is hard but I drink diet tonic water and pretend it’s a gin and tonic, which helps me to feel less deprived. Also the temperance company do a no alcohol G&T which is quite a good approximation. Could you maybe knock the wine on the head for a while and then alternate real G&TS with non alcoholic ones over an evening? I actually find I’m looking forward to my mock G&TS in the evenings so it might be worth a try.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Convince yourself that alcohol is a poison (it is). Most of the time you must not have it in your system. Drinking alcohol at home is a bad habit. It takes willpower to reduce it. Indulgence is a b*tch. That's the bottom line, unfortunately.