Ladies, How do you get bigger glutes?

Options
I’m starting my fitness journey and I’m focused on slimming down right now, (not too much just 10-12 pounds). I don’t really want to be skinny, just curvy and toned. Ladies, what are some exercises y’all do to get a bigger booty and thicker thighs?

Replies

• cguerra2017
    cguerra2017 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    jayz826 wrote: »
    Kanye’s workout plan.. Great for sculpting the booty cheeks!

What’s it called??
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Lots of squats and deadlifts at progressively increasing weight. "Strong Curves" is a highly recommended program.
  • cguerra2017
    cguerra2017 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lmao omg nvm
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you follow a glute focused lifting program like Strong Curves while you slim down. This will help you retain and perhaps build a bit of muscle especially in the glutes. Once you get at or closer to goal, you can think about more building your frame by eating at maintenance or gaining weight depending on how you feel.
  • sardelsa
    Options

What’s it called??

I believe its only available for VHS :D
  • jayz826
    jayz826 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lmao omg nvm

Not what you were looking for??
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Made my morning..and will make it to my gym playlist today.

What @sardelsa said. :smile: Following a program glute-focused (Strong Curves) is the best bet when you are starting out, and even after as the program advances.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    +1 for Strong Curves by Bret Contrares.
  • bree_7
    bree_7 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Donkey kicks, fire hydrants, squats, lunges, hamstring curls, I follow misscarriejune on instagram and laura simpson they post great workouts all the time to try. another great person to follow is teddygirllifts these girls are in amazing shape and post about exercises.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Lmao omg nvm

What do you want to do to start with? And what's wrong with lifting?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    This reminds me, I was looking thru instagram and there are all these “fitness stars” or whatever on there and they basically all post a bunch of pictures and videos of their butts, and doing butt workouts lol. It’s ridiculous. Hip thrusts seem to be popular amongst them. I’d just stick with a good beginner weight lifting program that incorporates squats, deadlifts and it will be fine.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Lmao omg nvm

What do you want to do to start with? And what's wrong with lifting?

@yirara I think OP was referring to the Kanye method ;)
  • sardelsa
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    This reminds me, I was looking thru instagram and there are all these “fitness stars” or whatever on there and they basically all post a bunch of pictures and videos of their butts, and doing butt workouts lol. It’s ridiculous. Hip thrusts seem to be popular amongst them. I’d just stick with a good beginner weight lifting program that incorporates squats, deadlifts and it will be fine.

Yea.. the thing is some of what they do is definitely effective (at least for the ones I see). But it can be so misleading because exercises alone won't give you those kind of results. Many of them are past bikini competitors with years of training (usually with the help of a trainer/coach) as well as muscle building cycles under their belts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Brete's Strong Curves is probably the best way.
    Squatting is nice- deadlifting is good- but really bridge lifts/hip thrusters are going to get you the progress that you likely want.

and sprints- I played soccer for 4 years- and boom- booty of a life time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

except bridge lifts and hip thrusts are far more effective for growing the glutes than squats.

• lunalight12
    lunalight12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of hip and glute strengthening physical therapy to preventing running injuries, and it's definitely made my booty a bit bigger! Before doing any glute exercises, BE SURE to activate your glutes. This will take some practice at first - Lie down on the floor. Put a pillow under your hips to support your pelvis and prevent your back from arching. Lay both legs out straight, and then move your right leg 30 degrees out to the right, and bend your knee to 90 degrees so your foot is up towards the ceiling. Now activate/squeeze your right butt cheek 15 times. At first, you might not be able to find it, but just keep trying! Do both sides every day. Eventually, you can start lifting your foot towards the ceiling using your glutes. It's important that you start small like this and isolate muscles so that you are activating the right ones. I always do this exercise before doing squats or deadlifts or anything. It ensures that those muscles are awake and activated!

Also, cycling is a really great thigh/butt workout.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

except bridge lifts and hip thrusts are far more effective for growing the glutes than squats.

Truth.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Low bar squats, sumo deadlifts, lunges, barbell glute bridges, Romanian deadlifts, Wide stance hack squats, Olympic front squats, may as well throw in conventional deadlifts as well. All aspects covered.

But yes glute bridges are the best for building glutes and do they hurt once you really learn that mind muscle connection.