Need a good recipe for microwave mug cakes...

Options
Wadeeee
Wadeeee Posts: 70 Member
So tonight, I was craving cake. Chocolate cake, just to put it out there. I decided to give in and make one of those single serving, microwave mug cakes, so that I could easily limit my portion. I found a recipe on 'Chocolate Covered Katie', and I had all the ingredients. I mixed everything, microwaved, and viola! Terrible, tasteless and disappointing. Katie does not know her stuff, my friends! It was the texture...it was...shoot, I don't even know, really. I wanted cake so bad at that moment, that I almost lost the will to live. Anyone out there have a mug cake recipe that is light, fluffy and like, real cake? I'd love to hear from you!

Replies

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I see this lady on the Today show all the time and she recently had this recipe for Chocolate Mug Cake....
    http://www.joybauer.com/healthy-recipe/recipes-index/
  • Wadeeee
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    I see this lady on the Today show all the time and she recently had this recipe for Chocolate Mug Cake....
    http://www.joybauer.com/healthy-recipe/recipes-index/

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!
  • Chitown1
    Chitown1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Or check out hungry-girl.com Her cookbooks have chapters on mug recipes, cakes & eggs :)
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    I make my kids 3-2-1 mug cakes, but the recipe uses boxed cake mixes (unsure if you were looking for 'from scratch' recipes).

I'm not sure how you would calculate the calories perfectly, I suppose combine the calories of both packages, weigh the dry mix in grams, then make a 2 ingredient recipe in the recipe builder? Then you could weigh the 3 Tbsp of mix and know the calories for each mug cake. Maybe there's an easier approach?

Recipe:

One (16 oz) box Angel Food Cake mix
    One (18 oz) box cake mix, any flavor
    Mix both dry cake mixes together really well in a ziploc bag or container.

3-2-1:
    3 Tbsp Cake Mix
    2 Tbsp Water
    Mix well in a mug.
    1 Minute, microwave on high

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    One thing I have found with mug cakes is that they can go from yummy and tender to chewy hockey puck if overcooked even by a few seconds. Microwaves are so variable that you really have to play around with power and time setting to prevent overcooking without leaving it raw - especially for low cal or high protein cakes. I always have the best luck if I use 50% power and take out when they still look a bit undercooked. It will continue to cook as it cools.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Save your calories and go buy a cupcake from a bakery. I've wasted SO MANY calories trying to satisfy a craving on lower calorie 'food', I should just have got the real thing every time, seriously. I've yet to find a mug cake that actually tastes good (although there's a single serving crisp recipe out there that is actually good, you just have to double the topping ingredients for it to be actually satisfying). Seriously, that 1 2 3 cake is a joke.

Also the last time I made something from Chocolate Covered Katie and entered the ingredients (actually weighed), the recipe was like twice the calories than she claimed. Absolutely not worth it.

That being said... I once killed a chocolate cake craving by making Kodiak Cakes dark chocolate pancakes and adding some hazelnut butter on top. Not less calories, but at least it was filling.
  • parsnipou
    parsnipou Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Personally all the recipes that I tried were horrible.Pity, because the idea is still very attractive to me
  • Wadeeee
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Save your calories and go buy a cupcake from a bakery. I've wasted SO MANY calories trying to satisfy a craving on lower calorie 'food', I should just have got the real thing every time, seriously. I've yet to find a mug cake that actually tastes good (although there's a single serving crisp recipe out there that is actually good, you just have to double the topping ingredients for it to be actually satisfying). Seriously, that 1 2 3 cake is a joke.

Also the last time I made something from Chocolate Covered Katie and entered the ingredients (actually weighed), the recipe was like twice the calories than she claimed. Absolutely not worth it.

That being said... I once killed a chocolate cake craving by making Kodiak Cakes dark chocolate pancakes and adding some hazelnut butter on top. Not less calories, but at least it was filling.

Thanks for chiming in! I'm totally going the bakery route...especially since everyone seems to have had the same disappointment with mug cakes!
  • Wadeeee
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Ok, I dont get it. Why not bake a whole cake, using the cake mix and simply have a slice whenever you want?

I just restarted my weight loss journey about two weeks ago, and I've got to build up a little more self-discipline before I trust myself with a whole cake. :)
  • Francl27
    Options
    Wadeeee wrote: »
    Ok, I dont get it. Why not bake a whole cake, using the cake mix and simply have a slice whenever you want?

I just restarted my weight loss journey about two weeks ago, and I've got to build up a little more self-discipline before I trust myself with a whole cake. :)

Nothing wrong with a proper satisfying slice of cake once a while.

I hear you. Depriving yourself and then splurging on a grocery store cake slice at a kid's birthday party is a very sad waste of calories. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything.. Thankfully there are a bunch of places around here that have really good cupcakes when the craving hits (or I just make a cake when I'm meeting friends and leave the leftovers with them).

I do wonder though, how do you store the rest of the cake? I've never really had much luck freezing cake.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Maybe it's not what you're looking for, but in my grocery store in the cake aisle they sell boxes with 3 single-mug packets in them. It's either Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker brand. I've made one and it was just like a regular cake! Had chocolate chunks in it and turned out really good eaten warm. You can make it with just water (that's what I did), or use other liquids (coffee, cola, etc.) to it for extra flavor.

Hmm... I almost wrote "cake isle." That would be a sweet vacation spot. (no pun intended)

I've seen those too! That would probably be a good alternative to the bakery cupcake.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I make my kids 3-2-1 mug cakes, but the recipe uses boxed cake mixes (unsure if you were looking for 'from scratch' recipes).

I'm not sure how you would calculate the calories perfectly, I suppose combine the calories of both packages, weigh the dry mix in grams, then make a 2 ingredient recipe in the recipe builder? Then you could weigh the 3 Tbsp of mix and know the calories for each mug cake. Maybe there's an easier approach?

Recipe:

One (16 oz) box Angel Food Cake mix
    One (18 oz) box cake mix, any flavor
    Mix both dry cake mixes together really well in a ziploc bag or container.

3-2-1:
    3 Tbsp Cake Mix
    2 Tbsp Water
    Mix well in a mug.
    1 Minute, microwave on high

Yuck - this just tastes weird to me. The angel food cake mix just over powers it; I tried 2 different flavors.

Has anyone tried this?

3 tablespoons cake mix
    1 tablespoon water
    2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
    1 tablespoon egg
  • lnm0685
    lnm0685 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I found one a couple of years ago that I tweaked to be mostly-healthy (all except the chocolate chips on top). And it doesn't use any butter or egg so it's vegan friendly too. I have it saved in my recipes and it comes in at 222 calories. This is what is in it:

3 TBS Wheat Flour
    2 TBS Cocoa Powder
    1/4 tsp Salt
    1/4 tsp Baking Soda
    2-3 packets of Stevia Sweetener
    3 TBS Applesauce
    3 TBS Almond Milk
    Splash of Vanilla
    1-2 TBS Chocolate Chips

I spray a couple of shots of olive oil spray in the mug to make cleanup easier. Mix all of the dry ingredients together, then add the applesauce, almond milk and vanilla. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top and microwave 2-3 minutes. In my microwave 2.5 minutes is just right, but I'm not sure what the wattage is. I would start with 2 minutes and go from there so it doesn't end up dried out. I'm also careful with the almond milk so it doesn't get so wet that it won't cook through. Usually the last tablespoon of milk I make just a tad below level.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I do wonder though, how do you store the rest of the cake? I've never really had much luck freezing cake.

Whats the problem? I freeze a lot of cakes and never had a problem after, be it with cream frosting or just plain. Just make sure you leave it out to thaw out and not zap it in the microwave.

Seems like it would get a little dry or crumbly from freezing. Plus if I know there are 11 slices left in tbe freezer, I'd want to eat them!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    thanks inm0685 - actually have those ingredients and going to try your recipe
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I make the following a few times a week...

2 tablespoons peanut powder (like PB2, I use Crazy Richard's)
    1 tablespoon all purpose flour
    1 tablespoon cocoa
    1 teaspoon baking powder (I use Rumford, rises better than regular Clabber Girl in this situation)
    pinch of salt

3 to 4 tablespoons water
    35g egg whites
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    16 drops liquid sucralose (I use Sucra Drops but you can substitute another sweetener of your choice, like stevia)

Combine the dry ingredients, add the liquids and stir together thoroughly. Microwave for 60 seconds at 70% power (this can vary a lot depending on the power of your microwave)
  • kimhski1
    kimhski1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I follow www.thebigmansworld.com and he has some yummy single serve treats. Some are super good, some are a little weird texture-wise.