Calories Burned?!

Options
I thought the whole point of burning calories off was to help lose weight? So on here, this is basically saying you worked out so u need to eat these calories you burned? I get that you need food to fuel yourself, but if your trying to lose weight shouldn;t you stick to your calorie goal and try to burn off extra??

Replies

• krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Say you're on 1200 calories a day.
    You burn 500 of those calories.
    Now your body thinks you've only consumed 700 calories.
    Ergo, starvation mode.
  • bopefas
    bopefas Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    On the day's I eat the extra calories,I usually gain a pound.So go figure.
  • sharonmills54
    Options
    Yes; I think the same as you. What is the point of burning off calories and then eating them back on????????????
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Ergo, starvation mode.

Ditto!!:happy:
  • laurelei09
    laurelei09 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sadly, "starvation mode" is the only way I lose weight. Eh, guess we're all different.
  • sharonmills54
    Options
    is that correct; so what do you do then; eat an extra 500? This could be where I am going wrong; I don't eat them and I don't loose weight.
  • tigerlilly9577
    Options
    Because your original daily goal for what to eat is already less calories than you burn. It takes into account your height and weight and what you have put as your general activity level, and figures out what you burn in an ordinary day. Then it sets your calorie goal and 500 below that if you wanted to lose a pound a week and 1000 below if you want to lose two pounds a week.

If you exercise and create a greater calorie deficit than 1000 per day, you need to eat it back, as you stated, to fuel your body. This way your body doesn't think it is starving and start burning muscle instead of fat.
  • krystonite
    Options
    is that correct; so what do you do then; eat an extra 500? This could be where I am going wrong; I don't eat them and I don't loose weight.

Think of food as fuel for your car. The more you drive, the more you need. If your body feels deprived it will store fat and slow down your metabolism. It's a survival mode installed right into us. Exercise, EAT and watch your metabolism speed up.
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This has been one of the toughest things for me to wrap my brain around, as my weightloss attempts haven't always been healthy. I've never actually gotten my net cals up to the full 1,200 :\ Trying to work on having the right mentality!
  • krystonite
    Options
    What's right for someone may be wrong for someone else. I say... eat when you're hungry.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Ergo, starvation mode.

This is so VERY wrong.

The starvation diets such as Lighter Life or Cambridge work on an intake of 500 calories a day, and encourage light exercise such as walking.

1200 calories of healthy food is roughly what your body needs to get the nutrients you need. As long as you get this, you will be fine. If you exercise on top of this, you may lose weight faster, but each person is different. You do not need to eat back your exercise calories, but if you do, you should still lose weight. I dont take back mine during the week, I do at the weekend.

Once you get into your routine, work out what works for you.
  • krystonite
    Options
    Ergo, starvation mode.

This is so VERY wrong.

The starvation diets such as Lighter Life or Cambridge work on an intake of 500 calories a day, and encourage light exercise such as walking.

1200 calories of healthy food is roughly what your body needs to get the nutrients you need. As long as you get this, you will be fine. If you exercise on top of this, you may lose weight faster, but each person is different. You do not need to eat back your exercise calories, but if you do, you should still lose weight. I dont take back mine during the week, I do at the weekend.

Let's be real here, 500 calories a day is not healthy and anyone doing such is not benefiting themselves.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options

Let's be real here, 500 calories a day is not healthy and anyone doing such is not benefiting themselves.
    I agree plus you royally screw up your metabolism by not eating enough making it that much harder to lose weight in the future.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat them all. But just be aware that you need to fuel your exercise. You need to have enough in you to press through your workout. I didn't eat enough yesterday, today I found it really hard to finish the cardio cycle of my workout. I was slower, I was tired. I know of old, I was basically underfuelled.

Calorie burn is also a complex business, based on afterburn, on the reality that muscle takes more energy to maintain than fat, etc etc. So it's not a simply calories in calories out formula.

I'd suggest you eat such that you do not feel deprived. Today, I apparently (I don't entirely believe this!) burned 1000 calories. There's absolutely no way I could eat that lot - I'd be sick. But I've dipped into the first 100 or so of them, and I feel good. Feeling good should probably be your guide.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Ergo, starvation mode.

This is so VERY wrong.

I didnt say 500 was good, I said a minimum of 1200 is necessary, but your intake is what's important.
  • madeline31692
    Options
    I feel like we need some professional advice here...I wasn't confused before I read this thread and now I am confused. What exactly is "starvation mode" and why is it bad/good??
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It's when you eat too little, and your body starts using up muscle etc instead of fat reserves.
  • OnCmommy
    OnCmommy Posts: 40
    Options
    This is so confusing to me!

So for example.. my goal is 1200 calories. I've eaten 781, burned 785 so my net is -4.
    Now that ISN'T good? Should I be shoving 1204 calories down my throat by the end of the day?
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I totally agree. I feel like everyone on here panics way too much about starvation mode. I like to have my extra calories if I need them, but I don't make myself eat calories that I don't want, that is just silly.
    Ergo, starvation mode.

This is so VERY wrong.