Allergies?

Options
KosmosKitten
KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
So.. the subject of allergies is a bit fascinating to me because we are all different and what may be fine for one individual will kill another. And yet, some allergies are just really, really bizarre when I run across them.

So.. what are you allergic to? Anything? Know anyone who has an unusual allergy?

P.S. Please do not feed me penicillin.. I will have a very bad day if you do.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    My youngest is severely allergic to peanuts...he used to also be allergic to dairy and eggs but grew out of that. He is also allergic to penicillin.
  • wavdawg4
    wavdawg4 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm super allergic to avocado. I used to be able to eat it and grew to love it and then one day my lips puffed up. I used to be able to eat some of it and rinse my mouth or take benedryl but not anymore. Now it messes with my balance and thought processes. I think the scariest time was when I walked to a coworkers desk to ask her something, I stopped in front of her forgetting what I wanted to say, where I was, who she was and then who I was. I literally panicked and was able to quickly work though where I was and who she was but not who I was or what I was doing. Took me a couple minutes. I also have allergic reactions 50% of the time to fruits and vegetables, it's odd and isn't very amusing.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    wavdawg4 wrote: »
    I'm super allergic to avocado. I used to be able to eat it and grew to love it and then one day my lips puffed up. I used to be able to eat some of it and rinse my mouth or take benedryl but not anymore. Now it messes with my balance and thought processes. I think the scariest time was when I walked to a coworkers desk to ask her something, I stopped in front of her forgetting what I wanted to say, where I was, who she was and then who I was. I literally panicked and was able to quickly work though where I was and who she was but not who I was or what I was doing. Took me a couple minutes. I also have allergic reactions 50% of the time to fruits and vegetables, it's odd and isn't very amusing.

I feel so sad for you. Avocados are life. :heart:
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My youngest is severely allergic to peanuts...he used to also be allergic to dairy and eggs but grew out of that. He is also allergic to penicillin.

I hear that a lot.. that people sometimes grow out of their allergies. Wish penicillin had been the same, lol.
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Other than hay fever which seems to primarily be triggered by tree pollen, I’m allergic/ intolerant to codeine.
  • crtaylor7997
    crtaylor7997 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to peas. Full-blown anaphylactic shock allergic. I also can't eat shellfish anymore due to a med I had to take. It'll cause the same issue.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    I'm allergic to peas. Full-blown anaphylactic shock allergic. I also can't eat shellfish anymore due to a med I had to take. It'll cause the same issue.

Peas??? That's a new one! Peas are mostly gross though, so I'm guessing you aren't missing out too much on that.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I have Gout. Which means I am, more or less, allergic to Beef, Organ Meats, Shellfish and Booze. Which sucks, because I love all of these things. They have a pill I can take daily to stop the Gout, but. according to my Doctor, once you start taking it you can't stop. So, I am trying to curtail it by adjusting my diet.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to all prescription pain meds, it really really sucks when I have had to surgeries/procedures done. Tylenol and ibuprofen do absolutely nothing after a C-section.
  • Wondersheoom89
    Wondersheoom89 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i'm alergic to almost evrything.
    Cat and dog hair, bird feathers, dust and dustbeans, pollen, fish...
    When I was younger I was allergic to animal protein...
    When I was 6yo, I also devoleped Asthma that waseffected a lot from my allergies.
    When I was younger I only saw a cat and I was all swallen. Then, when I moved at my ex house, where she had 7 cats, slowley the effects of allergy reduced. Now I can pet a cat for a short time, but I must not touch my face then. Also I have a dog and a parrot, I ca't sleep in a feathered blanket but it's a lot better. With sports, and cardio also my asthma condition is better, if I used 1 ventolin pump in a month, now I use 2 a year :)
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    Grasses, trees, roach (I find it bizarre that they actually test for that one but yeah), dust mites (terribly allergic), mold and mildew, blackening season (I'm not sure why since I am not allergic to pepper), codeine, bees (but not honey), formaldehyde, eucalyptus, pet dander, whatever chemical treatment they use on lumber, crab & shrimp shells (but not the meat), and kiwi.

Did not know you could be allergic to roaches. How exactly did you figure out you were allergic to some of these? Some of these aren't what I would classify as every day things I (or anyone would come into contact with).
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I have Gout. Which means I am, more or less, allergic to Beef, Organ Meats, Shellfish and Booze. Which sucks, because I love all of these things. They have a pill I can take daily to stop the Gout, but. according to my Doctor, once you start taking it you can't stop. So, I am trying to curtail it by adjusting my diet.

This is so sad. So you're relegated to chicken/fish/pork, right? And is it all alcohols or ones that contain certain ingredients? Sorry if I'm being nosy, just genuinely curious.

• yumesoraki
    yumesoraki Posts: 4,859 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Of all of the things I could be allergic to, I am allergic to pomegranates and kiwi. Pomegranates are in a lot more than you think now days.
    I also have the common allergies of dust and all grass, ragweed, and tree pollens native to North America.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm mildly allergic to the basic environmental allergens, like cats and grass, I take an OTC medicine daily for those without issue. I'm not allergic to any foods, but I am allergic to Tylenol. I understand Tylenol is supposed to be hypoallergenic, but I must be broken because it makes my face swell for days. I also had terrible nightmares on codeine so I just stay away from all paid medicine as much as possible. I had a procedure done recently and I would only agree to ibuprofen because I was too scared to try anything else.
  • andfivesixseveneight
    Options
    Several environmental allergies, but it’s the food allergies that suck. Have reactions to many things the weirdest probably being coffee, beer, pork, mango, and karaya. Karaya is a tree gum used in lots of processed foods and some medicines.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Grasses, trees, roach (I find it bizarre that they actually test for that one but yeah), dust mites (terribly allergic), mold and mildew, blackening season (I'm not sure why since I am not allergic to pepper), codeine, bees (but not honey), formaldehyde, eucalyptus, pet dander, whatever chemical treatment they use on lumber, crab & shrimp shells (but not the meat), and kiwi.

Did not know you could be allergic to roaches. How exactly did you figure out you were allergic to some of these? Some of these aren't what I would classify as every day things I (or anyone would come into contact with).
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

This is so sad. So you're relegated to chicken/fish/pork, right? And is it all alcohols or ones that contain certain ingredients? Sorry if I'm being nosy, just genuinely curious.

I can have a little bourbon now and again as long as I don't overdo it. I eat mostly chicken. I love sushi, but have to stay away from stuff like crab, shrimp and uni, which I love.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Nothing deadly.
    Pineapple
    Pollen
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Penicillin.

Bees.

Probably butterflies