Any healthy alternatives to butter?

Options
124»

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Rache4083 wrote: »
    By the time I have my toast or whatever in the morning, I'm halfway through my fat intake for the day. V frustrating

What is your daily fat intake goal if a TBSP of butter accounts for 50%?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I don’t really eat bagels often but when I do I just use butter. I don’t think there is a good alternative. Just use less. Maybe jam.

I feel like if I'm going to have a bagel- I go all in. Bacon Egg and Cheese.

We do cream cheese with bagels at work- and it's nice- but if I want to go buy one- I go get a real breakfast sandwich bagel.
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Brummel & brown
    Sugar free apple butter
    Salmon!!!
    Or...salmon + cream cheese + capers. Which...admittedly is high calories but also delicious!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Rache4083 wrote: »
    By the time I have my toast or whatever in the morning, I'm halfway through my fat intake for the day. V frustrating

What is your daily fat intake goal if a TBSP of butter accounts for 50%?

This is really the question.

I don't care for butter on bagels (I like it for cooking certain things and in various baked good, not anti butter!) so back when I had bagels I'd have cream cheese (which no doubt has as much fat as butter) or lox (which has a decent amount of fat but also protein, so might be an option, although it's hardly a butter substitute). I think avocado would be delicious on a bagel, but again higher fat (although IMO it brings more to the table).

Unless we have a sense of the goal -- how much fat do you want to include? -- and maybe what else you would want to add, it's hard to suggest.

I'll say that my goal for breakfast is usually to have a good amount of protein and veg. Sometimes my breakfast will be low fat, but for a long time (when I was losing weight) it was usually on the high fat side -- 2 eggs, vegetables, a little feta cheese, and some avocado. Even now I adore smoothies made with (among other things) avocado and nuts or seeds, and this is reasonably high fat. I just find that eating a bit more fat at breakfast balances well with the rest of my day.

If you don't want to, that's cool -- using less butter or trying the Smart Balance that Needs2 suggested might be a good option -- but there's no need to worry if breakfast is a bit higher fat, either.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If I'm having a bagel, it's gonna have cream cheese on it. I'll even do the 1/3 less fat cream cheese, especially it's a flavor kind like onion and chives.

Butter however, is butter. I love butter on toast. On veggies. Cook my steak with it. Butter. When I can afford the calories, I use butter. When I can't, I use a slightly less caloric blend of something (usually this happens when I need it for a large baguette of garlic bread) and I douse it generously in garlic salt and seasonings.

I'm an all around food person. I love butter most, but I'm not gonna get all snooty about ONLY using butter. I eat the food that fits my goals for that particular meal/day with an understanding that +/- a little, I'm gonna be fine.

It's about the process, not the minutia (I needed this reminder earlier this week so I'm kindly passing it on).
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If I'm having a bagel, it's gonna have cream cheese on it. I'll even do the 1/3 less fat cream cheese, especially it's a flavor kind like onion and chives.

Butter however, is butter. I love butter on toast. On veggies. Cook my steak with it. Butter. When I can afford the calories, I use butter. When I can't, I use a slightly less caloric blend of something (usually this happens when I need it for a large baguette of garlic bread) and I douse it generously in garlic salt and seasonings.

I'm an all around food person. I love butter most, but I'm not gonna get all snooty about ONLY using butter. I eat the food that fits my goals for that particular meal/day with an understanding that +/- a little, I'm gonna be fine.

It's about the process, not the minutia (I needed this reminder earlier this week so I'm kindly passing it on).

Yeah, If I'm not using butter it's either EVOO or Coconut oil.

For the record, I felt really pretentious writing that.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My wife can't do butter so she buys Earth Balance. I end up using it as it really is pretty good. Even on popcorn.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Use less, or the spray butter, not healthier, but less calories.
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you're cooking with it, can always use ghee.

Small amounts won't kill you, though...
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    If you're cooking with it, can always use ghee.

Small amounts won't kill you, though...

Erm... ghee is butter just a bit more processed than regular old butter...