100lbs to lose

Options
Hi,
I'm 42 and wanting and needing to lose 100lbs ASAP. Deciding if I should go through with bariatric surgery. I'm so depressed, in a lot of pain and heavy @ 300lbs. I need help!!

Replies

• maryseb63
    maryseb63 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I know it’s seems like a lot of weight but don’t give up. It may daunting but you can start slow, move a bit more every day. Make small changes to your eating habits. It does get easier. Four years ago I started this journey. I was 275 lbs. I was almost at my goal weight and stumbled, but got myself back up.
  • Kimma41
    Kimma41 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it does feel daunting but I'm gonna try. I started today tracking and exercise.
  • dlhicks2
    dlhicks2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had Bariatric surgery when I was about 30 years old. I am now 63 and still not at a healthy weight. However, I do think the surgery did help me. I have always stayed under 300 since I have had the surgery, never gotten under 200. I am currently 271 and trying to get under 250 where I am most comfortable. I have always wondered where I would be had I not had it. It is something I will never know. My son is over 300 and I have recommended he have surgery, but he doesn't want it. Said he sees it didn't really work for me and other people and won't consider it. The thing is, you still have to diet. Unfortunately, high fat foods and sugar gets along very well with bariatric surgery. I have ALWAYS been able to eat ice cream or drink a milk shake. I have to control that with my head and not my stomach. I can't eat a whole hamburger, so maybe that is a save, I just don't know. You have to decide on your own. The surgery is done so much now by so many and the success rate still isn't as high as you would think it would be. If obesity was a stomach problem and not a thinking problem, it would be cured with all of these surgeries. Tracking and exercise is an excellent first step. Just take one day at a time.
  • sunnycloud82
    sunnycloud82 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    (((HUGS))) At my heaviest I was over 300 pounds. I actually lost 111 pounds through diet/exercise so it can be done! (I gained back a bunch but re-started my journey a few weeks ago.) I'm having a lot of success following a ketogenic diet - might be worth looking into. I know it sounds extreme but it really hasn't been that hard to stick with and I am feeling so much better already. I've lost 14 pounds since January 8.

On the bariatric surgery....I know some people have lost a lot with that but I know several people who have either not lost much or lost a bunch and gained it all back plus some. It doesn't change the habits that contributed to the weight. My mom had it done and she did lose a lot of weight but she looks very unhealthy, lost a lot of hair, even shrunk a few inches. She's basically undernourished but still weights around 250. I would truly give it your ALL before considering doing it.

I'm happy to support you however you need. You CAN do this! <3
  • sunnycloud82
    sunnycloud82 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Also - it can be overwhelming to think about having to lose 100 pounds. Break it into smaller increments and I wouldn't put a time limit on it. Lose 10 pounds then focus on the next 10. It will all add up before you know it.
  • angiesfitadventure
    angiesfitadventure Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi there! Please don’t lose hope. It’s a matter of finding what works for you. I tried WW, counting calories, so many things. I was around your weight when I started. I was hurting, got winded walking, uncomfortable sleeping, tired of clothes not fitting, and sick of not recognizing myself in the mirror anymore. I tried watching my intake and lost 7lbs but was scared I’d gain it back because of the holidays.

On January 1st I started the Keto diet and have lost almost 15lbs this month. It may not be for everyone but I like it so far. Watch some videos on YouTube for inspiration or reach out to others on here. You can do anything you put your mind to. You’ve got this! I wish you much success and happiness!
  • Sanriohippie
    Sanriohippie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have lost 100lbs using this app 6 years ago. Keeping a diary of the food you eat REALLY does help and keeps you accountable.
    I ended up gaining the weight back because I stopped putting myself first. It.is.hard. However, surgery or not YOU are the only one that can get it done.
    Plan to succeed by preplanning meals which in turn makes your grocery shopping way easier and less tempting ya know?
    Can you indulge? Sure,but you must get used to not OVER indulging.
    You are not alone and can tell ya it can be done!
    As far as the surgery. I have always been to afraid of hospitals so that was never am option.
    I have however had friends have great success and others not so much.
    Either way I say give yourself six months of just giving it all you have and then think about surgery.
    xo
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the podcast "Losing 100lbs with Phit n Phat" it's helpful and not overwhelming. You don't have to cut out whole food groups, sugar, salt, fat or carbs to lose weight... do things that you KNOW you can do so that you build up your confidence in yourself and your ability to do this. You really can do this!
  • AvinashDB
    AvinashDB Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a total of 100lbs myself. The hardest part is admitting and adjusting your eating habits if you’re a bad eater like myself and make the push to start a workout routine. I lost 27lbs my first two months just by walking and tracking healthy calories. You can add me as a friend and whatever I can help share so you can achieve your goals I’ll be there to support you and not let you quit! You can do this, tell yourself “Yes I Can” because anything is possible! A great tip is looking into intermittent fasting and Keto and see if it’s something you can do to help and start taking walks. What motivated me was my Apple Watch and Fitbit to track my steps and always try to outdo my previous day with activity. I have to warn you though it will become addicting!
  • vonniew7
    vonniew7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If anyone is in NJ let me know and want a buddy