Zumba - effective?

Options
Hey all! I was wondering if anyone has tried Zumba and what kind of results you got from it? Thanks!

Replies

• karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba and have done it for years..... It is great for cardio and makes the time seem to go by fast. Dancing makes me happy. :)
  • WeightStripper85
    WeightStripper85 Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It's so much fun, I recommend it!
    If you find a workout you enjoy you're more likely to stick to it.

And honestly, any workout will be effective only if you're diet is on point.
    Try it you might enjoy it!
    :wink:
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    It's cardio. So if you need cardio in your life and can't stand running (like me), it's a good alternative.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    It's effective at increasing my happiness levels. The rest really depends on how much effort you put in.

I leave drenched in sweat every time. Some people barely break a sweat, whether it's because they're athletic and it's just some fun cardio for them or because they're barely putting in effort.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Effective in what way? For weight loss? Yes...no...maybe. Weight management is determined by calories coming in vs calories going out. I exercise quite a bit and I'm maintaining weight...I maintain my weight because I eat a maintenance level of calories. If I eat in a surplus I will gain weight despite my exercise. If I consume fewer calories than I require to maintain the status quo I will lose weight because I will burn body fat to make up for the energy deficiency.

Zumba is effective for increasing activity
    Zumba is effective for increasing energy expenditure
    Zumba is effective for increased aerobic capacity and cardiovascular health
    Zumba is effective for being good at Zumba
    Zumba is not effective if you want to run a marathon or ride a century
  • ursuline59
    ursuline59 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Zumba fan here! I love dancing so agree with Kara above: the time flies by. An hour's class is supposed to burn about 800 calories if you're doing it enthusiastically. I have a dodgy ankle and don't do ALL the jumping so I log 50 minutes for a reasonable 690. Go try a class, the first one is nearly always free. It's not only cardio but HIIT which is the best. Let us know how you get on :)
    ETA: Teachers vary. Try a 2nd one if you don't like the first!
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Zumba's an effective exercise, depending upon; your goals & endurance/ability levels! For me, it was convenient because the classes, were at; my apartment complex's community room & the instructor's routine was doable/enjoyable, mainly due to her being able to cater; to those of us with disabilities!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a great cardio alternative for me....like any cardio, you get out of it what you put into it. I enjoy it (although I look dorky so am prone to mostly doing it at home), but love it when the "normal" cardios just make me want to stab my own eyes out.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I use Zumba as one of my cardio alternatives- not a runner.

It also helps with balance, coordination, flexibility, and mobility, if you are coming into it from a sedentary life style.

It doesn't contribute much towards weight loss, a calorie deficit does that.

Cheers, h.
  • 12anita
    12anita Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love it! I am not a treadmill/elliptical type of person, but I usually do about 15 minutes on either prior to Zumba. I need the extra! It may take visiting classes to find one that you like. The good thing is that you can take it higher or lower. The hour goes by fast because it's fun.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its been several years since ive done it, but i used to love it.

the only class here is in the evening, which doesn't work for my schedule :( id love it if they added a morning one.