Bulking question

Options
Hey all! So im cureently going to attempt my first bulk ever. I was just wondering what yalls thoughts are on bulking using one of two options. The options being: setting a caloric goal and tracking through macros vs going about it much the way Jim Wendler describes in his 5/3/1 book (which i perceive to basically be the "see food" diet, BUT using whole nutritious food instead of just any old thing you can stuff your face with). Does anyone have experience with bulking by just eating as much as you can? Or by tracking calories? Or even both? Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I definitely have to track or I'd easily gain 15# a month!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I've bulked several different ways.

My first bulk I started it 'bro-style' (whole foods, clean, etc) .. could not reach my calorie goals and spun my wheels for a month or more. No bueno. Decided to add a few treats and bam... it really helped. So basically I tracked my intake, hit my macro minimums with mostly nutrient dense food with treats to fill the gaps (This is what I would recommend). It was great not to mention I wasn't always super bloated and stuffed and my workout performance increased as a result (win win win)

Second and third bulk (current) is entirely intuitive... no tracking, but same way of eating as before (although it does get a little junky at times because these bulks are longer and I just don't have the patience to super nutritious all day). This works for me because I've tracked in the past I have decent calorie awareness, but I would recommend you start off by tracking your intake and macros.

I agree with this. I have a day or two each week where I don't track, but I have to overall. And treats are necessary! (I'm eating a huge cookie at this moment)
  • UKWildcatDave
    UKWildcatDave Posts: 15 Member
    Options

My first bulk I started it 'bro-style' (whole foods, clean, etc) .. could not reach my calorie goals and spun my wheels for a month or more. No bueno. Decided to add a few treats and bam... it really helped. So basically I tracked my intake, hit my macro minimums with mostly nutrient dense food with treats to fill the gaps (This is what I would recommend). It was great not to mention I wasn't always super bloated and stuffed and my workout performance increased as a result (win win win)

Second and third bulk (current) is entirely intuitive... no tracking, but same way of eating as before (although it does get a little junky at times because these bulks are longer and I just don't have the patience to super nutritious all day). This works for me because I've tracked in the past I have decent calorie awareness, but I would recommend you start off by tracking your intake and macros.

I am on my first bulk and my experience has been exactly like your first bulk. My mindset right now is to hit my protein and fat minimums and fill in the balance with whatever treats are available.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    From9five wrote: »
    Hey all! So im cureently going to attempt my first bulk ever. I was just wondering what yalls thoughts are on bulking using one of two options. The options being: setting a caloric goal and tracking through macros vs going about it much the way Jim Wendler describes in his 5/3/1 book (which i perceive to basically be the "see food" diet, BUT using whole nutritious food instead of just any old thing you can stuff your face with). Does anyone have experience with bulking by just eating as much as you can? Or by tracking calories? Or even both? Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

I highly recommend that you track your calories for sure, that's pretty much the best way to really know whether you're eating enough in surplus. I've bulked a few times over the years, if you really are serious about putting on mass, one of the biggest hurdles is not only stuffing your face, but coming terms with the fact that you MAY gain some fat and that's just the way it is, yes there are articles and products that can fix that, but the human body doesn't pick where the mass goes, so while you gain muscle size which you sill, you'll also potentially gain some fat with it. The key is not to overdo it so that you minimize fat gain, but it will happen regardless. Now as for the types of food, it's always better to eat as healthy as you can mainly for your own physical health. You don't want to end up with diabetes or some type of cardiac disease because all you ate was pizza and ice cream but at the end of the day calories are calories and your muscles just need calories, they obviously need lots of protein but they needs lots of carbs and fat too, so make sure you dont' neglect ANY macros and get enough protein which I think 1 gram per lb of body weight is sufficient, you can eat more too, up to you, but carbs and fat are just as important and are often neglected. Figure out what your TDEE is and add 250 from that each week and see how you're gains are, you might want to even start off with +500 from your TDEE. The TDEE can be obtained from a calculator or you can even use this website to help, but I"d select the "gain 0.5 lb per week" option when you do this website's protocol. I know this was a lot of information if you have any questions you can PM me and I'm more than happy to help. Good luck and go eat!
  • From9five
    From9five Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you this,

Every week someone comes in trying to bulk or maintain on "whole nutritious food" complaining that they're not hitting their goals, or that they can't eat enough.

You're likely going to need some easy to eat high calorie food to get to a bulk, unless you're tracking macros/calories.

And even then you'll probably be full before you're done, unless you're using calorie dense foods.

Sweet, i can totally see what you mean, as they are usually really satiating. Are there any calorie dense foods youd recommend?
  • From9five
    Options

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, i think i will give a try to the first one you metioned! We'll see how it turns out!
  • From9five
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »

I highly recommend that you track your calories for sure, that's pretty much the best way to really know whether you're eating enough in surplus. I've bulked a few times over the years, if you really are serious about putting on mass, one of the biggest hurdles is not only stuffing your face, but coming terms with the fact that you MAY gain some fat and that's just the way it is, yes there are articles and products that can fix that, but the human body doesn't pick where the mass goes, so while you gain muscle size which you sill, you'll also potentially gain some fat with it. The key is not to overdo it so that you minimize fat gain, but it will happen regardless. Now as for the types of food, it's always better to eat as healthy as you can mainly for your own physical health. You don't want to end up with diabetes or some type of cardiac disease because all you ate was pizza and ice cream but at the end of the day calories are calories and your muscles just need calories, they obviously need lots of protein but they needs lots of carbs and fat too, so make sure you dont' neglect ANY macros and get enough protein which I think 1 gram per lb of body weight is sufficient, you can eat more too, up to you, but carbs and fat are just as important and are often neglected. Figure out what your TDEE is and add 250 from that each week and see how you're gains are, you might want to even start off with +500 from your TDEE. The TDEE can be obtained from a calculator or you can even use this website to help, but I"d select the "gain 0.5 lb per week" option when you do this website's protocol. I know this was a lot of information if you have any questions you can PM me and I'm more than happy to help. Good luck and go eat!

This was very informative i really appreciate it. And yess haha ive come to terms with the fact that my body fat will go up. I was just wondering what peoples opinions kn going about bulking were like. Ill definitely be sure to pag aytention to my fats and carbs anf make sure im hitting the mark. Thanks again!
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »

This was very informative i really appreciate it. And yess haha ive come to terms with the fact that my body fat will go up. I was just wondering what peoples opinions kn going about bulking were like. Ill definitely be sure to pag aytention to my fats and carbs anf make sure im hitting the mark. Thanks again!

Gotya, like anything else with bodybuilding, there is a lot of trial and error with the process So just keep that in mind, You don't want to be over the top with everything, you're body is only going to use so much of what you eat, it takes time, patience, hard work, dedication, and lots of paying attention. About once every other week or each month I'd say take a look at how things are going for you, if you like what you see keep doing what you're doing, but if it's been a month and you don't see much progress figure out what's wrong, make sure you're keeping track of your weight, body fat %, measurements, and strength.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I agree with this. I have a day or two each week where I don't track, but I have to overall. And treats are necessary! (I'm eating a huge cookie at this moment)

The joys of bulking! I hope you brought enough for the entire class! :wink:

OP, I'm doing 5/3/1 as well, I don't think I would listen too much to what Jim says about food, he's a bro and is preaching the bro diet way. Side note, I seriously cannot stand his writing style either, I'm paying for a book not an extended social media post or transcript from a gym conversation between bros. However, I do like his program, especially Beyond 5/3/1 which has better programs and I highly recommend you get that book and forget the original.

In any event, just like when you are trying to cut you need to determine your goals and your food intake needs for the day. Calories, macros, micros etc are all important and you need to determine how fast you want to bulk. The general rule of thumb for a first bulk is that an average young man can gain about 1/2 of muscle per week and 1/2 a pound of fat to accompany it so look to gain about 4 pounds a month. This means you should be in a surplus of about 500 cals per day.

There is a lot of psychological issues most people undergo with a bulk and if you read the posts here a lot of them are people having doubts about how their bulk is going and if they are gaining muscle or too much fat etc. These are things you will just have to accept, it's a long and difficult process at times, but it certainly beats cutting!

Here is a link to Lyle McDonald's site, which should be required reading for anyone who is trying to gain muscle and lose fat https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/

Good luck to you.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I definitely have to track or I'd easily gain 15# a month!

In same boat. I put on weight so easily. I don’t know if it’s a blessing or curse.
  • From9five
    Options

The joys of bulking! I hope you brought enough for the entire class! :wink:

OP, I'm doing 5/3/1 as well, I don't think I would listen too much to what Jim says about food, he's a bro and is preaching the bro diet way. Side note, I seriously cannot stand his writing style either, I'm paying for a book not an extended social media post or transcript from a gym conversation between bros. However, I do like his program, especially Beyond 5/3/1 which has better programs and I highly recommend you get that book and forget the original.

In any event, just like when you are trying to cut you need to determine your goals and your food intake needs for the day. Calories, macros, micros etc are all important and you need to determine how fast you want to bulk. The general rule of thumb for a first bulk is that an average young man can gain about 1/2 of muscle per week and 1/2 a pound of fat to accompany it so look to gain about 4 pounds a month. This means you should be in a surplus of about 500 cals per day.

There is a lot of psychological issues most people undergo with a bulk and if you read the posts here a lot of them are people having doubts about how their bulk is going and if they are gaining muscle or too much fat etc. These are things you will just have to accept, it's a long and difficult process at times, but it certainly beats cutting!

Here is a link to Lyle McDonald's site, which should be required reading for anyone who is trying to gain muscle and lose fat https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/

Good luck to you.

Ill totally look into the his book you metioned. Thanks for the in depth reply and the link to Lyle's website. One of the more helpful posts! This is great, I now have a couple of new methods to consider thanks to yall!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you this,

Every week someone comes in trying to bulk or maintain on "whole nutritious food" complaining that they're not hitting their goals, or that they can't eat enough.

You're likely going to need some easy to eat high calorie food to get to a bulk, unless you're tracking macros/calories.

And even then you'll probably be full before you're done, unless you're using calorie dense foods.

Sweet, i can totally see what you mean, as they are usually really satiating. Are there any calorie dense foods youd recommend?

Once you hit your protein, which shouldn't be hard, it really matters very little

Peanut butter or Guac or even a donut or twinkie or slice of pizza.

It really depends on what you want.
  • putitwhere
    putitwhere Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you. I track but not religiously.. I started off working with a very bro-style trainer and once he gave me the basics I started going at it on my own. Once you hit your macros, its okay to go off the reservation a bit so to speak. This is my second bulk and Im going at it on my own so fingers crossed.
    Good luck to you brother!
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Tracking is the best way, but it requires more effort.

I usually start with a calories number (or you can use the mfp calories suggestion for a lean bulk which would be 0,5 lbs per week gain). I eat that same number of calories per day.

I Weigh myself when I wake up after going to the bathroom and before eating my first meal and with little clothes as possible.

After 7 days, I add all my weighings and divide it by 7, that becomes my week's average weight and I compare with my previous weeks average...make sure before making any changes to your calories intake that you have been eating with the same number of calories for at least 3 weeks. If after 3 weeks, my average weight went down, it means my calories is too low, I need to higher it up by 100, 200 or 300 calories (depending how much weight I lost)....if the weight remained the same, I increase it by 100....if I gained around half a pound, then I stick with those calories until it plateaus....and if I gained too much weight (over a pound per week), then I have to lower it by 100 or 200 (depending how big the weight gain was). I am not good at explaining things, but I hope this did.

There are many different methods that other people use with success, but I am giving you an example on how I bulk.
  • putitwhere
    putitwhere Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »

I usually start with a calories number (or you can use the mfp calories suggestion for a lean bulk which would be 0,5 lbs per week gain). I eat that same number of calories per day.

I Weigh myself when I wake up after going to the bathroom and before eating my first meal and with little clothes as possible.

After 7 days, I add all my weighings and divide it by 7, that becomes my week's average weight and I compare with my previous weeks average...make sure before making any changes to your calories intake that you have been eating with the same number of calories for at least 3 weeks. If after 3 weeks, my average weight went down, it means my calories is too low, I need to higher it up by 100, 200 or 300 calories (depending how much weight I lost)....if the weight remained the same, I increase it by 100....if I gained around half a pound, then I stick with those calories until it plateaus....and if I gained too much weight (over a pound per week), then I have to lower it by 100 or 200 (depending how big the weight gain was). I am not good at explaining things, but I hope this did.

There are many different methods that other people use with success, but I am giving you an example on how I bulk.

Thats pretty good. How long have you been doing it this way? How much have you gained?
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I count calories whether i'm bulking or cutting. I'm nearing the end of my third bulk cycle and i've been effective each time doing so. Use the bulk time to eat things you enjoy. You'll have plenty of time to "eat healthy" when you have to cut the fat off. Pizza, BBQ, Ice cream, cake....hell i even get into my son's cinnamon toast crunch and cookie crisps regularly...all that stuff should be on the table as long as you're hitting your macros.
  • 99JT
    99JT Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's better to track what you eat most so you know your consistently getting enough calories. As far as macros just hit your minimum protein and fat and fill the rest with whatever. For me it was a real pain to track at first but now Its just a habit.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    putitwhere wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »

Thats pretty good. How long have you been doing it this way? How much have you gained?

I have done a cut and bulk for 5 years, but it's been 2 or 3 years that I've been doing it correctly. On my last bulk and cut cycle, I went from 165 lbs to 180 lbs and then from 180 lbs to a low record 153 lbs (I should've stopped at somewhere around 155-160 lbs, but I did it as a challenge). Ever since I've hit 153 lbs in April, now I am at 164, I'll probably stop bulking at around 170-175 lbs. Beyond 175 lbs, I start getting man boobs... that's no good . I am 5'9 fyi.

Since I have been lifting closer to 5 years now, I try to bulk slowly since muscle gains slow down at this point unlike the first couple of years where you gain big time. In fact, they say that after 4 years of lifting, you have already gained 90% of your muscles that you can gain genetically, the last 10 % is usually slow to come by naturally.