is rolled oats porriage ok or is it like eating white bread?

Options
if I made my uncle tobys rolled oats porrage with water, and the calories are low but is it ok for me or is it like eating white bread? just trying to live on my budget but eat fulling and good breakfst. Thanks Mel

Replies

• mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Rolled oats are a great carb to eat. Whole grain, high fiber.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    If I understand it correctly, you are just using oats, water and milk to make the porridge, so it is not like white bread at all. White bread uses flour that has been processed and then processed some more.
  • Sparrow_Feet
    Sparrow_Feet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Oats are great for you. Really natural. Not processed like bread. Cheap too. Add something like dried fruit or seeds if you want to vary it. Enjoy.
  • heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi - porridge is a marvellous food! To make it taste, like what I used to call 'cardboard', I flavour mine with 1tsp of molasses to 1/2 cup of oats. This way you get extra iron as well. It is much more filling and healthier than any bread as there is no salt in oats. By using the molasses to add flavour, no added salt is necessary. Good lucik..:-}
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    I am starting to try and have porridge most days (its cheap, the kids love it and it keeps me full for longer than cold cereals)

I have added things like.. raspberries, jam, vanilla flavoured seeds, honey but my favourite thing so far was a teaspoon of peanut butter. yummy!
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Porridge is most DEFINTELY not like eating white bread. It is low fat, high fiber, filling, has been shown to help lower blood cholesterol, and absolutely part of a healthy diet!! Where we run into trouble is in the high sugar 'instant' version - that's the white bread of the oatmeal family, if you will. So go ahead and enjoy your oatmeal; usethe least refined version you can find - if the budget stretches to steel cut oats great, otherwise good ol' Quaker old fashioned oatmeal is just fine. Make it with water - don't need the cream - and add a handful of dried cranberries and some chopped almonds - yum!!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I love my oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon. I stay away from the processed version and make my own. Very tasty!
  • superstitious
    Options
    I have mine (uncle tobys milk oaties) with i scoop vanilla vitaplan and a tsp honey. the PERFECT start to the day for me.
  • mark03264
    Options
    I make mine with water then add a little skim milk, some cinnamon, a scoop of vanilla protein and a quarter cup of blueberries. Yumm!
  • MelissaRosexXx
    MelissaRosexXx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for everyones reply it has put my mind at rest and given some yumy ideas! and your support to my question is appreciated I honestly feel "dumb" to some things regarding healthy eating so I have to ask, thanks again Mel.
  • mark03264
    Options
    thank you so much for everyones reply it has put my mind at rest and given some yumy ideas! and your support to my question is appreciated I honestly feel "dumb" to some things regarding healthy eating so I have to ask, thanks again Mel.

You showed that you are not dumb by asking the question in the first place.