Gained weight I lost in 2017 after 11 yr son diagnosed with lymphoma

Options
Hello all this is my first post after being on and off MFP for a few years. I am 49. I started Jan 2017 at 169lb and very unfit. I started exercising and eating 1200 calories a day and with fits and starts last weighed in at 142.9 in October with a GW of 135. I also lost plenty of inches and had gone down from an 8 to a 4 clothes size while gaining a lot of strength.

Suddenly found our son had a serious condition that took 5 weeks to diagnose. Turned out to be cancer, a form of lymphoma. After a hastily arranged surgery his prognosis is really good with no chemo expected, although he will be monitored for a year.

This kicked off in October and with all the shock I could not find the headspace to do any exercise or think about what I was eating. The whole experience turned me into a Zombie until after his surgery. As a family we are all doing great and my son looks to make a full recovery (thank you Lord!).

I now weigh 154lb so I gained about 11-12 lbs. I started to exercise again about 2 weeks ago and my goal over Christmas is not to gain - so far so good.

I would really appreciate some support and motivation to get back to focusing on weight loss which is at just under 20lbs now. Although my overall goal has always been improving my health and energy and being a great role model for healthy living for our 3 kids.

Anyone else been knocked off course by stress or illness and still made their GW?

Thank you everyone!

Replies

• Joyfulandactive
    Joyfulandactive Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    B)
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I can't really imagine the stress and worry you must have experienced! Certainly it's understandable that you'd have no mental energy left to concentrate on weight loss. I'm so glad to hear your son's surgery went well. Just pick up where you left off and you'll lose the extra pounds. Best of luck!
  • Joyfulandactive
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I was doing a lot of strength training and have returned to that, it definitely helps with stress. My goal is to be fit and healthy into my old age. Have you changed your lifestyle with MFP?
  • angelkiss7
    angelkiss7 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello! I’m so happy to hear the good news for your son. I have definitely known the struggles of being knocked off course and getting back on again (multiple times unfortunately). I’m sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share with you my story that I posted, to show you you aren’t alone...

Several years ago my friend introduced me to MFP, and I loved the simplicity of it. Being able to eat my own food but in smaller portions and holding myself accountable. I was trying to lose weight for my wedding and I got down pretty low (for me at least) and I was so proud because I felt beautiful on my wedding day. As that passed so had my focus. With the stress of my job and getting comfortable with life, the weight “crept” back on and the next thing I know I have gained all the weight back and then some. So I got myself back on and lost 40 pounds again in a little over 6 months. But my cycle was doomed to repeat, and yet again, I gained all the weight back and then some. It was getting to that time that all my friends were getting married and my husband and I started thinking of beginning a family. I found myself returning to MFP to help the next step of my life. In about 7 months I dropped over 50 pounds and looked fabulous in my bridesmaids dresses (I had 5 weddings that summer/fall and I was in 2 of them). It also helped me attain my dream. My husband and I welcomed our son in July of 2015. (And unfortunately a 50 pound weight gain, dropping 25 of it after I had him). With a new administration coming in, I felt like I had to go back to school that fall, and literally 6 weeks after having my son I was back in the classroom. Last year was my most stressful year, basically carrying my counterpart’s job and workload as well as my own. My son was also diagnosed with partial complex seizures, within a week of his 1 year cluster immunizations. Before I knew it, I had ballooned back up, gaining 55 pounds. As you can probably see, I have an unhealthy relationship with food, and weight seems to me like I was its’ magnet. After having that lovely conversation with my doctor that I had known for less than 2 years that “maybe I should consider doing something about it,” I was upset but turned to food. A few weeks later, I was meeting up with my friends and one told me that she was getting back on her diet and was in a competition. Now here I am, all ready to order a nice pork chop and sides and here these two are ordering salads. That was my jumping off point, and I ordered a salad along with them. It wasn’t until a week later that I stepped on the scale to find that I had reached my heaviest in my entire life. I immediately got back into myfitnesspal. April 24, 2017 is the last time I ever hope to see the numbers that I did. Now, I’ll admit that I don’t always make the best choices, but I hold my self accountable and log all of my food, even the bad things, even the times that I eat more than my calories. On Thanksgiving I participated in my first 5k, and finished in 45 minutes. (I did absolutely no training for it except the walking I do around my classroom throughout the day). A year ago it probably would have taken me 45 minutes to walk a mile. My goal is to take it one step at a time and maybe break through 40 minutes.

A few weeks ago I broke through my halfway point. One more milestone crushed, one more step closer on my journey. 44.4 pounds down and 44 more left to go. Two major milestones are just within my reach- 50 pounds and a new leading number). I’m going after them as if my life depended on, because in reality it does. To all my friends on MFP, I am so proud of the accomplishments you have made. We all know that we are in a fight, but it’s the battle worth fighting for because it’s for our life, our happiness and for our future.
  • Joyfulandactive
    Options
    Angelkiss thank you for sharing your story, I foubd it very motivating and we have to remember to do our best to look after ourselves when we do so much caring for everyone else. Really amazed at your impressive weight loss, you must be so proud of yourself! Congratulations on the 5k!!

What are your goals for January 2018 and for the year?
  • angelkiss7
    Options
    My goal is to be the healthiest I can for myself and my family! I hope to hit 50 and break through to a new leading number. I know that the last pounds are always the hardest to take off so even if I could lose 20 pounds by May I would be happy because then I’d only have 25 more to hit my absolute goal. I’m doing an inflatable 5k in August so if I could be 25 pounds down by then I would be happy!
  • Joyfulandactive
    Options
    I just had a couple of stressful weeks and not enough sleep but I have still managed to drop 2.5 lbs since I was last on the thread. My husband and I realised we really need a vacation after all the stress and fear with our son. We haven't had a beach holiday for years so we are going to Hawaii in June! Just booked and now very motivated to feel good in a swimsuit!

I am strength training 3 times a week, now need to make sure I get my cardio in.

How is everyone doing?
  • angelkiss7
    Options
    That is awesome! I am so happy for you! I completely understand the stress and limited sleep definitely impact losses. I am excited for your upcoming vacation as we are going to Aruba end of July to hopefully celebrate our son being seizure free for 2 years (we have to hit that goal to start talking about weaning off his medication). Today I managed to stay with the new leading number as I have been sick on and off past couple weeks, and I hit 49.8 lbs. today.
  • Joyfulandactive
    Options
    Angelkiss that is such good news about your son. Are you all going on vacation together? I assume he sees a Neurologist, is coming off his med a potential? That is amazing. So happy that you are so planning a vacation, have you really lost almost 50lb? That"s incredible x

My goal is also to be as healthy as possible and to be STRONG as I love how it makes me feel.
  • angelkiss7
    Options
    Hi Joyfulandactive! Yes! Although he’s only 2 and a half he has traveled a lot more than I ever did (we are from Massachusetts, so we do a lot of road trips North into New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont, and south: Virginia, South Carolina, etc.) The three of us went out to Arizona last June before he turned 2 (needed to get it in before he turned 2 to fly for free lol). Yes, we go every 6 months to Boston Children’s neurology, and if we can hit August of 2018 without a seizure we can start talking about cutting back and eventually getting off of the medication. So it is a premature trip, but the only time we could get it in due to availability. Today was the day, I hit 50! But of course it comes with strings attached as I am coming down with most likely the flu
  • Joyfulandactive
    Options
    Well sometimes the flu knocks off an extra 5lb!! Hope you aren't getting sick though, rest and drink a ton of water. So good to hear from you and hear about your little guy.
  • angelkiss7
    Options
    Same! I hope your son is still doing well. I definitely was out of commission yesterday but improving today. Loved stepping on the scale this morning and seeing -1.4 from yesterday lol. (Normally I do my official weigh-ins once a week but will torture myself randomly throughout the week just to hold myself accountable).
  • Joyfulandactive
    Options
    I weigh in every morning. I just have a bunch of little routines and that is one of them.
  • Joyfulandactive
    Options
    Does that mean you hit 50!!!!!???
  • angelkiss7
    Options
    I did! 51.4 the other morning!
  • Joyfulandactive
    Options
    Congrats to you, what an awesome achievement!

I have now lost about 5lb of the weight I put back on :smile:
  • angelkiss7
    Options
    That is fantastic! You are going in the right direction and that is all that matters!