Incorporating Exercise

Options
etherealanwar
etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I finally decided to begin exercising yesterday and make use of my gym membership. I did 10 minutes of walking on the treadmill at a steep incline as my warm up and then 40 minutes of weightlifting (targeted my arms on that day but will alternate between legs/arms/back). I am aware that you do not burn many calories from weightlifting alone but that it does increase metabolism for a period afterwards to continue burning more calories than usual.

Now my question is that whether I should include more aerobic exercise into my routine and if so which types are worth the time? I really dislike the treadmill but I'm not sure which other equipment burns a reasonable amount of calories. I looked into studies about weight loss from weightlifting but many of them mention it was used alongside aerobic exercise and I don't want to be missing out on all the benefits I could be getting. I'd like to move my weight loss along as it's been a bit slow (Most of the time I stick to 1200-1300 calories but on off days I can get up to 1600). I've been stalling like every other week but my overall average weightloss is about 1.3 lbs a week (this would be lower if I removed my initial water weight loss). I've been at this for 2 months with a loss of 10 lbs.

It would also be awesome if you could share what you've been doing exercise wise to give me some ideas!

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    If you dislike the treadmill, don't do it. Or, just use it for short periods of time because walking for 10 - 15 min. at high inclines is still beneficial. Try the ellipticals (there are several different types), rowing machines (make sure you use proper form) or the stationary bikes or whatever your gym has available. Try everything and see what you like. I try to vary my cardio workouts to avoid boredom.

Also, just because you lift at the gym doesn't mean you have to do cardio there. You can walk or jog or cycle outside or any other physical activity. Again, just find something challenging that you enjoy.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Do you like cardio? What are your fitness goals?

And no, burning calories is not what I mean by a "fitness goal". Just to cut that off at the pass.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not required by any means. Are there benefits to cardio? Of course. Does it matter which cardio you do? Not really.

The question is whether or not the benefits of cardio make it worth doing *for/to you*. And only you can answer that.
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are right on track...10 lbs in 2 months is a job well done!
    I added exercise as I learned what I liked and what I could easily fit into my weekly routine.
    Losing weight is a matter of Ci/Co. You don't have to exercise at all if you keep a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
    If you want to eat more you can exercise (cardio) to stay in a calorie deficit. Strength train to help keep what muscle you have while restricting calories. This is what I have learned so far, others may correct me...

Find what you like so you don't dread doing it and make it a habit. You are already at the gym so you can try a variety of machines and classes. Also, talk to a trainer at your gym, they are happy to help.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    First off, I'd recommend running an established lifting program...full body programs are most appropriate for beginners and are usually 2-3 days per week. It will be far more efficient than just going in and doing whatever you feel like doing.

As a matter of general fitness I think resistance training and cardiovascular work are both important. Right now I lift 2x per week and I cycle 4-5x per week on non-lifting days. I have an emphasis on the cardiovascular side because I'm a avid recreational road cyclist and do about 4 or 5 events annually...lifting for me is supplemental and good cross training and it's important for me to maintain muscle mass, particularly as I'm not getting any younger.

It really depends on what your fitness goals are...your fitness goals will dictate training protocol.

Just as a matter of general fitness, I'd do 150 minutes of light to moderate cardiovascular work per week and lift 3x per week full body and just take a balanced approach. I loath the treadmill as well...there are way more cardiovascular fitness options than the treadmill.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    As for cardio, since I can't run (bad ankle still doesn't have the ROM to handle it), I end up on elliptical and stationary bikes most often, but go out for a real bicycle ride every now and then. I am NOT a fan of cardio, in fact, I pretty much hate any "steady state" cardio, BUT I need it for my sport, so I put up with it.

Alternatives would include a lot of the classes your gym may offer such as Zumba or a cross fit type class. Check them out, try them, see if you enjoy them. I enjoy doing Zumba (typically at home as I feel rather dorky) to mix things up.

Sounds like your weight loss is right on track to me, 10 pounds in 2 months sounds like a steady, maintainable rate.

My workouts are pretty tailored to my sport and my own personal needs/goals within that, and are pretty intense now because of it. After finally being able to return to the gym (back in late November) I'm just now to what I would consider a serious training plan instead of a "getting to a point where I can handle a serious training plan again."

You can always schedule a session with a trainer to help you come up with a plan designed for your needs and goals.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer classes? A spin or Zumba class can be a great way to burn. I also like doing interval workouts on the elliptical while watching HGTV. :)
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    If you dislike the treadmill, don't do it. Or, just use it for short periods of time because walking for 10 - 15 min. at high inclines is still beneficial. Try the ellipticals (there are several different types), rowing machines (make sure you use proper form) or the stationary bikes or whatever your gym has available. Try everything and see what you like. I try to vary my cardio workouts to avoid boredom.

Also, just because you lift at the gym doesn't mean you have to do cardio there. You can walk or jog or cycle outside or any other physical activity. Again, just find something challenging that you enjoy.

I'm considering walking at an incline for 30 minutes instead of jogging. I've only heard bad things about ellipticals and how they are a waste of your time (don't burn many calories). Honestly if it weren't for the horrible weather I wouldn't mind jogging outside....I used to rollerblade quite often in the warmer months. I just need to find a place to do that since I've moved!

And no, burning calories is not what I mean by a "fitness goal". Just to cut that off at the pass.

I want to retain as much muscle as possible so I won't look skinny fat by the time I lose all the weight. I also want to improve my cardiovascular health so I don't get winded so easily haha!
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    First off, I'd recommend running an established lifting program...full body programs are most appropriate for beginners and are usually 2-3 days per week. It will be far more efficient than just going in and doing whatever you feel like doing.

As a matter of general fitness I think resistance training and cardiovascular work are both important. Right now I lift 2x per week and I cycle 4-5x per week on non-lifting days. I have an emphasis on the cardiovascular side because I'm a avid recreational road cyclist and do about 4 or 5 events annually...lifting for me is supplemental and good cross training and it's important for me to maintain muscle mass, particularly as I'm not getting any younger.

It really depends on what your fitness goals are...your fitness goals will dictate training protocol.

Just as a matter of general fitness, I'd do 150 minutes of light to moderate cardiovascular work per week and lift 3x per week full body and just take a balanced approach. I loath the treadmill as well...there are way more cardiovascular fitness options than the treadmill.

Why do you recommend a full body work out as opposed to targeting certain muscle groups on a day by day basis? That's what I've done in the past and I enjoyed it.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I'm considering walking at an incline for 30 minutes instead of jogging. I've only heard bad things about ellipticals and how they are a waste of your time (don't burn many calories). Honestly if it weren't for the horrible weather I wouldn't mind jogging outside....I used to rollerblade quite often in the warmer months. I just need to find a place to do that since I've moved!

I want to retain as much muscle as possible so I won't look skinny fat by the time I lose all the weight. I also want to improve my cardiovascular health so I don't get winded so easily haha!

Why do you recommend a full body work out as opposed to targeting certain muscle groups on a day by day basis? That's what I've done in the past and I enjoyed it.

I guess it would depend on the intensity for which you're lifting. Most actual established split programs are designed for intermediate to advanced lifters as the volume tends to be high for a novice which results in recovery issues.

Most beginner programs are full body 3x per week and focus on compound movements which are the foundation of any other good lifting program, even a split. So as a beginner you become more proficient in those lifts and build a solid foundation to work with. Even most intermediate to advanced lifters I know outside of people who are actually body building run full body programs, albeit with higher volume than a beginners program.

Body building splits are great if you're actually wanting to pack on muscle as you need that kind of volume or otherwise just like spending your time in the weight room...but they're not typically designed with the beginner in mind...most splits assume a fair amount of previous training.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have recently read the book Strong (Schuler/Cosgrove) and am doing the program in that book. I am also doing 30 minute easy-to-moderate runs a few days a week on my nonlifting days. I highly recommend the book - it will explain the benefits of weightlifting, how weightlifting works with weight loss/weight control, and the importance of protein. The program is a great beginner program with warm-up, weight lifting, and some cardio intervals.

https://www.amazon.com/Strong-Workout-Programs-Metabolism-Strength/dp/0399573437/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516820697&sr=8-1&keywords=strong+schuler
  • jennrissa
    jennrissa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The coach for my classes has always recommended running for weight loss on top of tracking. I hate running though because I'm slow, if rather lift weights, but it's something to work on if you want to lose the weight and work on your speed.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I mostly just walked (outdoors, not at the gym) for the longest time. I only recently started going to the gym regularly for a group class I enjoy on Fridays. Otherwise I walk or run outside.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I believe that the elliptical hate is largely overblown. This article goes into some nice detail on that (ETA: you need to replace the "kitten" in the URL with the version of "pooping" that starts with an s). Either way, it really cannot be overstated how much more important it is to find something you enjoy doing than to find the "best" exercise. If your primary goal is to improve your cardiovascular health, you can do that by doing any form of cardio that even mildly challenges you. I started off walking three times a day for ten minutes each, went to running when that got too easy, and now I do various workouts from a website called Fitness Blender. I'll defer to others on the strength question as I'm just getting into that myself.
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I believe that the elliptical hate is largely overblown. This article goes into some nice detail on that (ETA: you need to replace the "kitten" in the URL with the version of "pooping" that starts with an s). Either way, it really cannot be overstated how much more important it is to find something you enjoy doing than to find the "best" exercise. If your primary goal is to improve your cardiovascular health, you can do that by doing any form of cardio that even mildly challenges you. I started off walking three times a day for ten minutes each, went to running when that got too easy, and now I do various workouts from a website called Fitness Blender. I'll defer to others on the strength question as I'm just getting into that myself.

This. I do not like running and so I am not sad that my knees do not let me run. So my options are: walk on the treadmill, walk outside, elliptical. I can only walk so fast, but I can work just as hard on the elliptical as I could back when I could run. So if it's a nice day, I'll happily walk outside and enjoy the fresh air. But if it's inclement or 0530 am, elliptical it is. I will break a sweat, get my heart rate up, and work hard. In that case, it's way better than a treadmill as a cardio option for me.
    Set it up with your actual weight for the calorie count (and then still take that number with a grain of salt). And remember that there are infinity brands/models...my gym has at least 6 different models of elliptical scattered throughout. My preferred one is an adaptive motion or "open stride" model - the motion is very similar to running but without the impact, and it's comfortable for me (I'm 5'3" so not all ellipticals have a comfortable stride length for my little legs). You can sample all the ones your gym has to offer and you might be surprised.

Other than strolling about outside and elliptical use, I actually get most of my cardio from group fitness classes at the gym. I do spin 2x/week and Bodypump 3x/week, and I've been adding in lifting with a trainer as my schedule allows (planning to start Strong Curves once I've finished my current sessions because the PT schedule is not as flexible as I'd like it to be).
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

"I'm considering walking at an incline for 30 minutes instead of jogging. I've only heard bad things about ellipticals and how they are a waste of your time (don't burn many calories). Honestly if it weren't for the horrible weather I wouldn't mind jogging outside....I used to rollerblade quite often in the warmer months. I just need to find a place to do that since I've moved!"

That's not true about elliptical, I burn on avg 500 cal per 50 minutes on them. Why? Because I keep my heart rate up in the 180's. The myth started from people who putz on them, barely breaking a sweat or increasing their heart rate past warm up zone. I use a garmin watch to monitor me. Elliptical's are great, because they are low impact. Challenge yourself on this, and it may be a very good workout. To put in perspective, I burn on avg 100 cal per mile or per 10 minutes

If you enjoy this over treadmill - it's a great tool!
  • tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Try swimming.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    For me, enjoyment per hour is more important than calories burned per hour. And so I get a lot of cardio from walking, hiking, and snowshoeing in the woods, gardening, swimming, etc.