Gaining weight with crohns

Hey guys, first of all I’d like to wish everyone a happy new year. I’m not new to the healthy eating and excercise but until last year I suffered from issues eating and gaining weight before I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease. Since then I have found red meats, produce high in fiber and lactose to be triggers for my symptoms. Since cleaning up my diet I’ve found the issues to have calmed significantly however I am still unable to put on any weight. I was hoping for some advice from anyone who may be experiencing or know anyone whose experienced these issues. Any advice on nutrition or excercise suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited January 2018
    I have no medical expertise or experience with Crohn's just want to make that clear.

Have you ever logged your food before? If you need to gain weight you aren't eating enough, so maybe once you start logging it will be easier to spot more calorie dense foods that will work for you and strategies how many calories you need.

Sorry I don't have more to contribute, hopefully others with experience with it will pop in. Good luck!
  • dmulkey68
    dmulkey68 Posts: 12 Member
    Hey!!! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis! I have suffered from Crohn’s for going on 13 years now. I take the Humira injection to help keep me in remission. I am just now really trying to watch what I eat to help with that and also gain healthy weight. I just started on the Apetamin vitamin syrup and so far, so good! I’ve seen a significant increase in my appetite. And my weight is increasing each day since I increased my calorie intake over 300. Carbonated beverages, fatty foods and some dairy trigger my Crohn’s. Feel free to add me so we can help each other out.