macros

Options
I have read and received so many different macros that I am so confused. I have used different apps with specific info and still different. Any help?

Replies

• The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Stick with what MFP suggests in terms of macros and calorie recommendations. Adjust your eating so that your diet fits those parameters. Slow and steady is how you gain weight, and slow is how you’ll lose. You are modifying your long term eating habits, not trying to “diet” using a hip fad.

Read the pinned posts. It is crucial that you track your food as honestly as possible, and that requires a scale.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Macros are really individual; some people just do better with different macro splits. The good news is that weight loss is about calories, NOT about hitting any particular macro targets. As long as you hit your calorie goal, you'll lose weight.

At first, I wouldn't worry about macros specifically. Log your food and hit your calories. After awhile, if you notice that a particular macro or combination tends to make you feel better or feel fuller, you can tweak your macro split to better fit your body.

Here's an example: I find protein satiating, but only to a point. If I don't incorporate some carbohydrate source into a meal or snack -- if I just get protein and fat -- I feel shaky, nauseated and awful. I only know that because I tried to cut way down on carbs at one point and found out it didn't work for my body. So, based on how I react, I prioritize getting a good amount of protein, plus some fats and some carbs in every meal. I still lose weight at a rate that makes me happy with my own personal macro split.