Being ill

Options
For the last few days I have been ill with a severe ear infection and when I’m ill or sick, I don’t tend to eat much in a day. This is NOT an excuse for me to not eat but I am not consuming enough calories to be losing weight healthily. I don’t suppose anyone has good food/snack ideas that are healthy but okay to eat when being ill??

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's temporary while you're ill...long term under eating isn't healthy...temporarily because of illness isn't a big deal.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick and I don't have much of an appetite, I just eat whatever my body seems willing to tolerate. I think it's better to give your body the fuel it needs to recover, rather than worrying whether or not it's the healthiest food choice. You can return to your usual diet when you're well.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't force myself to eat when I'm sick. If I feel like I need something to eat but I'm not really hungry, I'll have things like broth, toast, or juice.

In the context of me being a generally healthy person who only has occasional short illnesses, I think it's okay to listen to my body when it tells me not to eat. Obviously if you're in a different situation, you may want to discuss this with your doctor. But if illness is the exception for your life and it's just for a few days, you aren't going to damage your health or weight loss efforts just eating to hunger for a bit.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    When I’m ill I don’t worry about it. I may try to eat crackers or something easy but I’m certainly not concerned with how many calories I’m eating.
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Try drinking shakes, chicken broth... Keep in mind too that your body is recovering. If you're not able to consume, it's not the end of the world. Focus on getting better!
  • The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Eat what you can get down. Worry about your nutrition when you are better.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    a few days of being sick isnt a big deal. eat what you can, then get back on track when youre feeling better.