Half Marathon + Atkins lifestyle

Options
Hi All -

Running my first half marathon on March 18. Really struggling with my weight and thinking about starting Atkins induction on Feb 5.... is this terribly ill advised? I eat a pretty low carb diet now (usually my net carb intake is about 35, induction has it slated for 20).

Thoughts? Any other half marathon tips gladly appreciated!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You also might want to check out this group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    This being your very first half and then add in fat loss and low carb? Bad idea. Why low carb?

For myself fat loss and training for a half are two opposing goals let alone trying to do it low carb. I did do a deficit my very first half, honestly that did not work out very well for me. I am training for my 3rd annual half this March right now and I need to work on fat loss, but I am delaying it till the race is over.

If I had to train in a deficit it would be a very small one, but knowing under fueling effects recovery and performance for my next training runs, I will most likely forgo the deficit so I can be at my best to perform well and meet my training and race goals.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    What's your current weekly running volume? How long have you been running for?

As others have mentioned it's hard to put the miles in for a HM (at least in the latter stages of a training plan as the runs get longer) while eating at much of a deficit.....runs take fuel.

As to the Atkins element I know some runners and triathletes who are low carb / high fat & protein who are seriously competitive. I haven't tried it myself......I love my carbs too much. All I could really suggest (assuming that you're otherwise training properly for the race) is to try cutting back on your carbs a little at a time and see how you feel.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    You are already eating low carb. I wouldn't go lower until after the race. If you find yourself exhausted after your runs, I would increase the carbs I was eating. How important is it to you to do well at the race? You need to fuel your runs, and as mileage and intensity increase, that gets harder to do while trying to lose weight. Carbs give you the energy your muscles need to work hard.
  • gorilita
    gorilita Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Personalky, when I was doing a keto diet and staying under 20g carbs and felt great as far as my energy levels.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    gorilita wrote: »
    Personalky, when I was doing a keto diet and staying under 20g carbs and felt great as far as my energy levels.

What's your Half Marathon time?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    grrubin wrote: »
    Hi All -

Running my first half marathon on March 18. Really struggling with my weight and thinking about starting Atkins induction on Feb 5.... is this terribly ill advised? I eat a pretty low carb diet now (usually my net carb intake is about 35, induction has it slated for 20).

Thoughts? Any other half marathon tips gladly appreciated!!

As with other respondents, HM training for your first race is quite demanding. I wouldn't significantly change diet as well as embarking on a training plan for one.

Fwiw of your struggling with your weight, unless there is a specific reason to go LCHF then it's more likely just a question of either reading more than you think you are in comparison to your energy output.

Are you already managing your calorie intake somehow?
  • RunnerElken37
    RunnerElken37 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Runner’s world either through Facebook or online is a great place for insight and information on running. Why do you feel the need for a special diet, just eat lean protein, veggies some fruit and a good fat coming from nuts and avocados. Monitor how you feel and perform with each meal. It’s called training for a reason so on race day you have it all worked out. Feel free to add me to check out the food and supplements I take. I’m currently training for my 14th full marathon this June and I’m in my mid fifties. I’m also on MapMyRun.
  • grrubin
    grrubin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would say it's a bad idea. You'll be getting into your high mileage runs in feb and should be using them as practice for how you fuel your race.

I struggle to lose weight when my long run gets above 10 miles, the runger is real.

Oddly, as hungry as I am after a longer run, I have trouble keeping anything in me after a run unless I drink water and wait awhile (which is annoying) so the "runger" subsides.
  • grrubin
    grrubin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    gorilita wrote: »

would love to know what you fueled your runs with and how you recovered after doing keto
  • gorilita
    gorilita Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    would love to know what you fueled your runs with and how you recovered after doing keto[/quote]

I was not training for a half marathon but for a century bike ride. In addition, I was working out 6 days a week (twice a week w/personal trainer).

I mainly ate cheese, eggs, peanut butter, avocados, fatty fish, and steak. My carbs came from veggies like cauliflower or greenbeans. I also ate salads with olive oil and lemon as dressing.

I am not sure what you mean about recovering after doing keto. No recovery needed. I have never felt as good as when I was on keto. My lab results improved. I was never hungry and never had cravings. I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have other ?