Thai restaurant - help

I'm going out for dinner tonight, to a Thai restaurant and wondering what the healthiest choice would be. The curries are all drowning in coconut oil, which is fine in moderation, but a bit calorie rich for what I have left for the day (500 cals) so thinking some kind of veggie stir fry - ginger? Basil chili? Do you think, do they drown them in oils?

Replies

• Fatmansyndrome
    Fatmansyndrome Posts: 59 Member
    edited January 2018
    Why worry it's one meal. If you are worried order a salad
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    I'm not "worried" I just don't want to blow out my calories on a Wednesday night.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Soup is a good idea if you're looking to keep calories on the lower end.

As you guessed, stir fry will be drenched in oil and sauce. But, if it's just veggies and grilled meat then it isn't that bad overall. Anything with meat that is fried, or has rice, noodles, nuts and peanut sauce will be calorie heavy.

You can ask for a side of steamed veg to see if they'll do that. See if there is chicken satay on the appetizers menu. Or, they might have lettuce wraps too.

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited January 2018
    possibly satay with no/light sauce or pad ped...or both
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Why not order what you like and only eat part of it?
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    I find Thai a calorie challenge. Maybe they’ll have a steamed chicken and veg dish, or chicken with lemon grass? Don’t recall how much oil is in that. A satay without sauce could work. Maybe in combination with some fresh (not fried) spring rolls.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Have a broth-type soup as an app then only eat half your main course (take it for lunch next day).
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Get what you like, eat half.

(full disclosure, I usually get Pad Thai with tofu or pineapple chicken curry and eat every delicious morsel for approx. 800-1000 calories...plus rice....its so so good)