What are your road trip snacks?

Options
RollTideHusker
RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
The hubby & I are moving in a few months. That means driving halfway across the country. ROAD TRIP TIME B) I love road trips and snacks are a must, especially on long ones.

I have to have Corn Nuts. Don’t know why but that is my must have snack. I never eat them any other time.

Prior to changing my eating habits, my snacks were mostly- Little Debbie snacks, Starbucks drinks, cookies, candy bars. :D
Now I try for nuts, water, unsweet tea (don’t like sweet tea anyway). I do still get a Little Debbie snack or candy bar. It’s just not the main thing. :)

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    BBQ Ribs With Extra Sauce & Piping Hot Matzo Ball Soup

safe travels!
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Combos
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Combos

Me too. I usually get a #4 combo, large sized, and an apple pie.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Biltong! Since that is very salty, water is a must. Can't have too much because otherwise it is just a tour of the different restrooms in the country!
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    water for me, tea for the big guy, probably a bag of low sodium chips and a box of granola bars.
    I grew up with my mom ALWAYS having food in the car, even for short trips- it's her security blanket, so as an adult and fully aware of this, I'm hesitant to have anything other than a bottle of water or two with me. I figure this is America, we can stop at ANY time at anywhere at eat. I don't need the "security blanket".
  • coywest462
    coywest462 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love me some good beef jerky. Don’t care for the National brands, it good local stuff works. My wife loves those Brachs Hazlenut candies, but we only get them on long road trips.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I second the Corn Nuts for a favorite snack! However, if I'm trying to be healthier, I am a big fan of cold cuts, either as sandwiches or just meat and cheese. I also like bags of vegetables like pickles, cherry tomatoes, etc. that are super low cal but bulky. We usually pack a cooler, even if it's only for a day trip, to save money (and calories) from grabbing snacks at convenient stores. If you are passing parks or rest areas that have those outdoor grills, they make for incredible dinners if you pack some ground meat or something else you can grill, too.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Apples n oranges. Whole grain crackers n cheese if you haul a lil cooler. Granola. Water (you never know how good muni water is on the road!!). We stop for sit down meals along the way, usually something with a salad bar so we just need munchies. We have a hypoglycemic in our midst.
  • elizarizo
    elizarizo Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    String cheese and hard boiled eggs!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Mr_L33 wrote: »
    if tryna be a bit more healthy with the snacks, my go to ones are skinny pop 100 calorie pack popcorn bags, and organic bamboo rice rollers from Costco.

if being bad, doritos cool ranch chips, 5 for 5 haribro candys from 5 below, with a case of redbull

How can I hate rice cakes so bad and love rice rollers so much!?!
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Hi-Chew
    Rolos
    Grandma's peanut butter cookies
    PBR tall boy
    Cheez whiz
    Hot dog
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I do plain almonds, it's enough to tide me over 'till I can get food. Some hard candy too. Meal replacement shake if I have a cooler and it can be cold.

Meals on the road, I like to stop at grocery stores and buy a deli salad and a roll, inexpensive and decent quality food.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Bags and bags of blow pops. One after another.

There's nothing quite like a blow pop to add a lil' fun to a road trip.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Nachos and soup.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Mayonnaise and lick-m-aid.
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Flaming hot peanuts, cheez-it’s,homemade jerky, sour skittles, Chex mix and some kind of chocolate.. No wonder I’m a member of MFP. Lol
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Beef jerky or sticks, crackers of some sort with canned cheese :smile: , string cheese, hunts pudding, bananas or apples, snickers or milky way bar, energy or protein bars, nuts or trail mix, fiber bars...