Will power and motivation

Options
Following certain meal plans come with stuggles, such as being hungry or not being able to eat enough depending on your goals. What are some things that help you keep a strong mind while working towards a certain goal?

Replies

• kisaolson
    kisaolson Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The out come! Comments from others on how well your doing.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I stopped thinking that I needed either willpower or motivation.

Having a goal is great, but relying on willpower (denying yourself things you want) and motivation (the energy or drive to do something) is not sustainable long-term. It is miserable to think that you're going to spend the rest of your life denying yourself the things you want, or that you're always going to feel eager and motivated. These are mindsets that accompany a short term diet, but what happens when you reach your goal? You can't stop paying attention to your diet or eating just the way you used to; if you do that, you won't spend very long at your goal weight. Instead, you need to create sustainable routines that don't require to you have either willpower or motivation.

Most of us eat the same few things almost all the time. We have a set of go-to recipes we make. Use that to your advantage. Figure out your go-to recipes and how they fit into your calorie budget. Work with your routine.

Get in the habit of exercising regularly if that's one of your goals. Eventually it becomes something that you just do, rather than something you have to be motivated to do.

Fit the things you like into your routine too. You like chocolate? Budget calories for a piece of chocolate, have a chocolate protein shake or bar, drink chocolate milk, whatever works for you. You aren't going to be a healthier or happier person if you can never have the things you want.

If you aren't able to stick to your routine for a few days, that's okay. You know your routine and you can get right back to it.

Willpower is short term. Routines are long term.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You need to build habits, work out how to make sustainable adjustments to your routine that reduce calories or increase activity. I've found when working on an exercise routine, neutral attitude and extreme convenience beats enjoyment and high inconvenience, so the one exercise I do daily is my stationary bike at home. When you're making changes give yourself permission to fail, not everything will work, just make note of what you've learnt and try something else
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    First you have to eat enough. Then you can keep a strong mind.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    From9five wrote: »
    Following certain meal plans come with stuggles, such as being hungry or not being able to eat enough depending on your goals. What are some things that help you keep a strong mind while working towards a certain goal?

Struggle and hunger and not being able to eat enough? Sounds awful. I'd get a new plan
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Routine! Motivation is hard to count on, but routine wI'll save you every time. Every time you mess up or make a bad choice, do What athletes do: review the tapes. Look at what led up to it, what happened and the consequences afterwards. Also, look at successful times and do the same. That's how you'll figure out stuff like: you do better on work days with a larger am meal and lighter lunch, you do better if you eat every x hours, having sugary drinks at 3pm leads to problems at 5pm, nuts/protein bars in the car are a lifesaver or whatever works for you. I think we get so afraid of failure that we steamroll over the data of what that failure is trying to tell you. (Eg. If you always eat a 4th meal when you stay up till midnight, go to bed at 11 or plan your 4th meal and leave calories available for it instead of wondering why this keeps happening and trying to use motivation to avoid eating. It's not a mystery! You ate dinner at 6:30. Its been 4.5 hours.)