How to eat within my macros while visiting NYC

Options
Hello,
I'm a French MFP enthusiast (been using the app for half a year, down 7 lbs) and I will soon stay in New York for a week with a friend (tourism). I don't know anything about NYC food options when you don't have a kitchen and have to rely on take out and restaurants. I have to say I'm kinda afraid by all the fast food chains available, and the restaurants look super expensive...
Do you have some advice on how/where to eat within my macro (61g fat, 116g protein, 140g carbs) ? Are there some healthy, protein-loaded alternatives to burgers (protein shakes ? These don't really exist in France as a take away option) ? Any healthy fast food chain or supermarket ?
Thanks you in advance for any advice !

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You're on holidays! enjoy yourself, walk a lot to sight see and don't try to make food fit your macros.

(when away, I generally skip breakfast, and aim to only splurge on new/different foods I can't get regularly at home. I found there to be heaps of good, lower calorie choices in the states, as well as heaps of deliciously decadent things.... Especially Levain cookies. I ate 12 in 4 days...)
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    The good thing is you can walk everywhere. I think you should enjoy yourself and make sure and eat the pizza. I'm from a small town in upstate NY and take it from me NYC pizza is to die for!!!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    New York City is expensive. Instead of eating out, you can buy food in the shops and supermarkets -- those prices might also be higher than you are used to but you can more easily find low-ish calories than at fast food places.
    If you are concerned about portions at restaurants, eat half the meal at the restaurant and ask the server to pack the other half for you to eat at home later.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You are on holiday, enjoy yourself. When i visited NYC a couple of years ago we walked miles and miles each day and I ate exactly what i wanted within limits. We had amazing BBQ, pancakes for breakfast, bagels for lunch. It was incredible. Make sensible food choices and don't go all out but enjoy your vacation and try not to worry about the macros. O and deff eat the pizza!!!
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I live in NY. Eat the bagels. Eat the pizza. You won't regret it.
    NYers are also super health conscious so while there are plenty of fast food joints, there are tons of healthy options, vegan, gluten free - everything you could imagine.
    Walk a lot and enjoy it. Just make good choices when you can.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a lot of sight-seeing (thanks for the Statue of Liberty, btw), I found it's good to have a larger than normal breakfast and work that off walking and doing your thing. You do a lot of walking and if you take the subway, a lot of up and down stairs, too. There's a lot of standing in line and just generally a lot more activity. If you can, choose a hotel with a free breakfast. That helps minimize the costs.

Then, if you can keep lunch smaller, more like a big snack, you can have a little more at dinner. The restaurants in NY are so so so so good. There is so much good food there to enjoy.

I'm super jealous because my daughter goes to college in NY, but I live across the country and I miss her very, very much!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    People actually worry about macros when on vacation? I hardly even think about them day to day...definitely not going to get all stressed about macros on a holiday...