Plantar fasciitis & weigh-loss

Is there anyone out there that suffered from chronic Plantar fasciitis that was relieved by weight loss? If so how much weight did you have to lose to notice a difference? I could use the hope. Lol

Thanks

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Mine was relieved by a cortisone shot in my heel and has not returned. Thank goodness.
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Yes, weight loss helped. After I lost about 40 lbs the pain totally disappeared.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    I'm working on the weight loss now, but the exercising along with good inserts and shoes is really making a huge difference. I don't use treadmills or run, but I do use an elliptical and several leg machines, as wwll as the stretching and flexing stuff the PT told me to do.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    My left arch fell without me realising it - resulting in a crooked stance (again I didn't notice) and a lot of hip and sciatic like pain caused by the Piriformis pinching the nerve. I had no pain in my feet but shoe implants and exercises have helped enormously. After years of pain I am virtually pain free - hoping that shifting 20lbs will see off the occasional twinge left.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Not sure...can't imagine it hurt. I started dieting and whatnot right around the same time I was getting treatment for PF with custom inserts, stretching and rolling, etc...

I get a twinge every once in awhile, but for the most part I'm good so long as I'm wearing my inserts and stretch when I feel a twinge. Running does a number on me though, so I don't really do that anymore.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    i think losing weight has helped, but i also thinking going to the gym regularly and doing stretches there plus my orthotics are the biggest help!
  • ILuvLifehouse
    ILuvLifehouse Posts: 55 Member
    I had to wear a boot for awhile in the spring and I added cushion inserts in my shoes and it fixed it. Make sure your shoes has great support and not flat where the heel is.
  • teriadam48
    teriadam48 Posts: 51 Member
    I had this for a year and weight loss helped alot, I also bought the insoles for my trainers so my feet were supported properly. Entirely stopped wearing flat ballet style shoes and it got better but it took a while, shoe choice is a big part in recovery make sure they fit well and support.
  • hraasch12
    hraasch12 Posts: 10 Member
    For me it was about 40 pounds before it was completely gone. I've been able to manage it since I've gained the weight back by using really supportive shoes (Brooks Ariel/Adrenaline and Dansko dress shoes) and supportive slippers (Haflinger). I still get some pain, but it's not constant any more.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    My mom has this issue. After she lost about 40lbs she was better and notices a HUGE difference. She used to get cortisone shots but I remember her saying they barely helped and were very painful.
  • BrianString
    BrianString Posts: 17 Member
    Struggled with this when I started out. Was so bad that it was difficult getting up on my feet in the morning. I still get it now and then after losing 40lbs, and got some new shoes. No issues anymore.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    I started noticing relief pretty quickly. But what helped me even more than the weight loss was getting insoles from my podiatrist (about $30 per pair) and a stretch that she taught me. When you first wake up in the morning before you get out of bed, grad a towel or long cloth and put it around the ball of your foot. While laying flat on your back, grab each end and pull upwards toward your head so you're flexing your foot back. Honestly it's like a miracle! I've tried rolling my foot over tennis balls and frozen water bottles and it didn't help that much but this stretch has helped me like you wouldn't believe!
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Are you a runner? Pavement? If so, try adjusting to the forefoot strike. Maybe consider giving up running for one of the thousands of exercises that don't cause repetitive impact to the feet. I was a hardcore runner for awhile until my feet basically broke down. I thought I'd never wake up without painful feet again. Replaced running with weight lifting and guess what.... wife says my "bod" is better now and my feet haven't hurt in 10 years.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Losing 15 lbs helped as well as replacing running with swimming
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    amunet07 wrote: »
    Is there anyone out there that suffered from chronic Plantar fasciitis that was relieved by weight loss? If so how much weight did you have to lose to notice a difference? I could use the hope. Lol

Thanks

Not sure there's a fixed amount of weight you have to lose to fix P.F. I had it when I weighed 285, and it went away during the course of a 30ish-pound loss.

If you need to lose weight, just lose it. If the idea of cured P.F. can motivate you to lose weight, just know that less body weight = less stress on your feet = less pain.
  • jebr76
    jebr76 Posts: 29 Member
    Weight loss has helped, but what made a real difference for me was getting a boot for night time use (I used the night splint by vive). After 4 months of pain, a week in the boot had me mostly pain free, and a month made me feel almost completely cured.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    45 pounds down - the plantar fasciitis hasn't returned since the weight loss.

I still make sure to wear supportive shoes and continue to stretch my feet several times a week, though.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I'm down 45 and it only flares up occasionally.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    billkansas wrote: »
    Are you a runner? Pavement? If so, try adjusting to the forefoot strike. Maybe consider giving up running for one of the thousands of exercises that don't cause repetitive impact to the feet. I was a hardcore runner for awhile until my feet basically broke down. I thought I'd never wake up without painful feet again. Replaced running with weight lifting and guess what.... wife says my "bod" is better now and my feet haven't hurt in 10 years.

This is what I'm attempting now. I have been fighting PF and a healing break for the last year and find if I lift heavy, I get a fantastic cardio workout without the ouchy feet.