Would eating only nuts, seeds, egg whites, fruits, and vegetables be healthy?

See title. And I am not referring to weight loss, just being healthy. Would that be enough nutrients?

I am tired of worrying about what to cook and what to eat, and nuts, seeds, egg whites, fruits, and vegetables are easy to make and good foods to eat. I just want to make sure that I wouldn't be missing something nutritionally important. I would be eating a variety of each (excluding egg whites obviously).

And since I know someone is going to ask why egg whites and not the whole egg, regular eggs make me sick. I can tolerate egg whites fine, though.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    You'd probably want to keep an eye on your micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) to make sure you're not making yourself deficient in anything. Maybe throwing in a daily meal replacement shake or multi-vitamin would help.

I'm amazed that you'd be able to eat the same limited menu every day, I never could. I usually just do a weekly meal-prep of 3-4 large batches for my fiance and I to eat all week.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I would discuss such an extremely limited diet with a doctor. If you're only eating a very small set of foods, then it depends a LOT on what foods you choose from those categories and how much of each you eat.
  • DumbledoresPhoenix
    DumbledoresPhoenix Posts: 27 Member
    Toxikon, the micronutrients is what I am worried about the most. I think I can get a good balance of macronutrients, but I am worried I might be missing an important vitamin or mineral.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited January 2018
    I'd include legumes in there and maybe some fruit. Legumes for protein, fruit for carbs and sugar.

Maybe some oils/fats/avocados to round out your diet, too.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Where are you getting your protein from? Whilst nuts and seeds contain protein they are more of a fat source than protein source and egg whites will not provide all the amino acids you need either? Also what about carbs? Again extremely limited sources of carbs. Why can't you add meat, fish, beans, tofu, quorn, pasta, rice, bread, cereals and grains?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Body healthy, yes if your variety and quantity of vegetables is good. Brain healthy, that's doubtful.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    aeloine wrote: »
    I'd include legumes in there and maybe some fruit. Legumes for protein, fruit for carbs and sugar.

Maybe some oils/fats/avocados to round out your diet, too.

It says fruits are included. Legumes are vegetables. Nuts and avocado (a fruit) provide fat.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    It could be done, but would be difficult at best and leave little wiggle room for mistakes, would be my opinion.

That much restriction would mean that you'd have to be incredibly careful to control intake amounts of each macronutrient and micro... I'd also recommend regular doctor's visits during to monitor health and deficiencies.
  • DumbledoresPhoenix
    Where are you getting your protein from? Whilst nuts and seeds contain protein they are more of a fat source than protein source and egg whites will not provide all the amino acids you need either? Also what about carbs?

Egg whites are a complete protein. I would be getting carbs from fruit, but yes, that might not be enough. Hmmm...
  • DumbledoresPhoenix
    Body healthy, yes if your variety and quantity of vegetables is good. Brain healthy, that's doubtful.

Why not brain healthy?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Where are you getting your protein from? Whilst nuts and seeds contain protein they are more of a fat source than protein source and egg whites will not provide all the amino acids you need either? Also what about carbs? Again extremely limited sources of carbs. Why can't you add meat, fish, beans, tofu, quorn, pasta, rice, bread, cereals and grains?

Just FYI - you don't need carbs. If your glycogen stores are depleted, your body begins burning dietary fat in place of carbs in a process called ketosis (you've probably heard of the "keto" diet)! There's nothing particularly unhealthy about being in a constant state of ketosis, as far as I know from the research I've read.
  • DumbledoresPhoenix
    I can't possibly imagine it would be healthy. It's such a narrow range of foods that you'll be missing lots of micronutrients and/or your intake will be unbalanced (too little of some micronutrients, too much of others).

Could you be more specific? Which micronutrients would I be missing? What would not be balanced?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    "healthy" is such a broad, abstract word... but to your question - do I think it's ideal? No. Do I think it's a recipe for disaster? No. Would you be willing to take a couple of specific vitamins/supplements to address potential deficiencies?
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Are you able to hit all your macros and micros with that diet? Are you satisfied? Do you feel like this is a sustainable way of eating?

If you answered no to any of these questions, I'd rethink it and come up with a more sustainable plan.