How much oil in french fries....

Options
How much oil do french fries absorb during the cooking process? Anyone know? Even a guesstimate? It's too late for me to measure the oil pre and post cooking.

Replies

• ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    just don't fry them bake them instead . oil has ton of fat and calories just in it self
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    the only way to know for sure is to measure the oil before, and after cooking. i always guesstimate though when frying...i always say about 1 serving of oil...i actually have no idea how much its absorbing though.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    and atleast a guess is better than not logging it at all...just try not to make frying a habit lol
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Not looking for a lecture people.....clearly I know how to eat and know what I am doing exercise-wise.....I'm just wondering if anyone knows how much oil gets absorbed.....like a tablespoon, a teaspoon, more less? Like I said, we already cooked and ate them, so this time it's too late to measure the before and after oil in the pan.

Thanks!
  • gabnmill
    gabnmill Posts: 10
    Options
    No lectures here just some friendly advise! If properly cooked its about a table spoon. If the oil is not hot enough however more is absorbed. Baking is the way to go.
  • fpueblo
    fpueblo Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    it all depends on how hot the oil is. I wish I could give you a better answer but from what I have read everyone who has said that the only way to tell is to measure before and after are right. I tend to, if I have to eat the fried food and have no way of telling how much was used is to do a serving.
  • Calibandawg
    Calibandawg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    About 20-25% of the mass of a cooked French fry will be oil. So weigh the cooked fries in grams, multiply the weight by 0.25, then again by 9 Cal /g and you will have the added calories from deep frying in fat.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    You also have the option of using a chain restaurant's french fry as a base - compare the weight of the fries you ate with the calories per gram of say, McDonald's french fries (or a chain who has fries similarly shaped - curly, waffle, etc.).
  • mlheideman
    mlheideman Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    You also have the option of using a chain restaurant's french fry as a base - compare the weight of the fries you ate with the calories per gram of say, McDonald's french fries (or a chain who has fries similarly shaped - curly, waffle, etc.).

This is how I log it too
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hopefully OP figured this out 6+ years ago when the question was asked :neutral:

os09dlwd2ruk.jpg