Discouraged today

Options
So, I'm a little discouraged. I started tracking everything I was eating and eating in deficit on January 2nd. I was losing consistently (about 2 pounds) for the last few weeks and I was feeling great! Working out 4-5 days a week. Then all of a sudden this week, I'm up FOUR pounds! Admittedly, I haven't been as diligent about my nutrition this week, but I certainly didn't think it was four pounds worthy, especially because I've been tracking still and been under my calorie goal. I have not been including the calories I get back from working out in what I'm eating either.

I guess I'm just feeling a little discouraged. I'm certainly not going to quit, but this feels like a huge setback, especially after the last two weeks of consistent loss.

Any advice on how not to beat myself up about this? I'm just feeling like I undid two weeks of hard work.

Replies

• kelly_stevens81
    kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Dont get discouraged if your eating right and working out it should pan out in the en. Give it another week or two of sticking to it. I go through plateaus too. I have lost 90+ pounds since June and I will gain weight some weeks or not loose at all and then a week later have a huge loss. Sometimes it's water retention or inflamation, if it's not who knows. Try eating more potassium it will help with water retention
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It's amazing what a psychological effect a number on the scale has on us, isn't it? Please hang in there. This is probably mostly water weight or daily fluctuations. Don't get discouraged :)
  • thunderztormdk
    thunderztormdk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The only real way to use weight is to see long-term trend. Weigh yourself every day, at the same time and under the same conditions, for a month - you'll see that your weight goes up and down all the time.

The main thing is that in the long run, over 3 months or so, your trend shows the weight going downwards.
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you get a flat tire on the road do you fix it (or call someone to fix it for you, admittedly, I wouldn't be able to!) or you slash your other three tires instead?
    It's the same dear, you did good for a few weeks, one bad-ish week isn't a reason to slash all you have done till now.
  • aylerz
    aylerz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    4 pounds in one week would be really really tough to gain, unless you were eating like 2,000 - 3,000 over your goal every single day. I bet it's just water weight and will fall off next weigh in!

Try eating more potassium it will help with water retention

Great tip! I'm in a similar boat - been losing consistently and hit a random plateau only three weeks in, which has me a little bummed. I did eat a salad from Chick-fil-a that had a pretty high sodium count, plus been hit with a few other water retention-causing factors, so I have been wondering how to combat the water weight.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    are you due to get your period?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Time of the month?
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Take the good with bad. Don't quit and when you start losing again you will see that you made it through. Weight loss is a mental game and it's not perfect. This too shall pass.
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I was also up this week...then I realized what time it is. Yup...the "lucky" time of the month. I did a little research and it is normal to gain up to 10lbs. of water weight a week before that time and then it gradually goes away. So basically 2 weeks out of the month, the scale is a liar. Don't beat yourself up. You could very well have lost the real weight and then some. I was really discouraged when I weighed in this week, but after learning about water weight, I'm just going to let it go. You're doing great so don't let this get you down.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    After 2-3 weeks you're likely at a point in your monthly cycle that causes water retention.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    This is not the best article or the best source, but it has pictures which can help it to sink in. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/weight-fluctuation-experiment
    One of the long term lessons to learn about weight loss is that fluctuations occur and you'll need to know what is normal for your body over many months to account for what happens during holidays when your eating changes to less common foods, TOM, illness (like cold or food poisoning) so that you know FROM DATA what your body does.
    You are doing a great job, and in a week when this has shaken out, you'll be wondering why you felt so bad over something that ended up being so small. Have a great day and be proud of yourself for your hard work!
  • YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634529/why-did-the-number-on-the-scale-go-up-this-week-heres-why

This is a good post by one of the mods on various factors that can play into weight fluctuations.
  • bnicoletti22
    bnicoletti22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! This has all been super helpful. Just finished with my time of the month, so it's not that, unfortunately. Gonna keep positive and keep going :)
  • kazie1206
    kazie1206 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Your body can fluctuate 5 lbs + or - at any given time. Water weight is a big part of that, but there are tons of factors that have nothing to actually do with you doing anything to "gain" weight. I bet you that you will see a fall soon. I remember when I first started I had the same issue and I would be totally discouraged. Sometimes I have seen an increase in weight, but a loss in measurements. Make sure to do both. The scale cannot be the only measureable thing, especially since it can be so inconsistent. Also, if your working out now and you really haven't in the past, it might be your body building muscle. Which might so if you shrink inches and gain weight. I also decided to only weight every other week because it was more likely to see a fall which kept me more motivated. When I tried weighing day to day, it was almost the downfall of humanity with the rage I would experience! haha. I am sorry you felt discouraged. Keep it up and remember, these are long term goals and slow and steady wins the race!
  • wryone4
    wryone4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It is normal to feel discouraged, but fluctuations are also normal too. Remember that if you are working out consistently, the number on the scale might not change drastically, but you may feel better, look different, and have your clothes fit better. Definitely keep weighing so you know you are not regressing with progress, but look for NSVs along the way. They will help you to stay motivated when the scale surprises you. And, keep tracking! A food log really is so key to success, I think. If you are honest with it, it keeps you accountable and on track. You've got this!
  • SkysTheLimit47
    SkysTheLimit47 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    Today is literally affecting my motivation
  • annoula412
    annoula412 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey girl. As others mentioned, just trust the process. The last time I weighted myself was a few months back. I was at 150 pounds (I am only 5ft). I used to be 140 before going on vacation out of the country for 3 weeks. I came back and gained 10 pounds. Since then, I can not tell you how hard I have worked. Going to the game 4-5 days a week. Tracking my foods on my fitness pal. It was telling me in about 5 weeks I would weigh about 136-140. Today I weighted myself, and I was still at 150! I was so devastated. I wanted to cry. I have worked so hard and I am still where I am.

Just stay positive. Remember why you started!
    Trust The Process friend!