No supplements

Options
Okay so I would love to drop some pounds, about 100 actually. I am so very sensitive to supplements and have been unsuccessful with out them. Can anyone share success stories with out diet drinks, potions, or lotions?! I know it must be possible I just need some motivation!

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people on here that have lost a considerable amount of weight, and kept it off, without the use of any pills or "aids" other than eating less/moving more. Check out the Success Stories section here - lots of great motivation. I've lost 32lbs with tracking my food on here and finding exercise that I enjoy (although you don't need exercise to lose weight). Good luck to you!
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
  • fitmomma99
    fitmomma99 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh wow thank u!! As soon as the baby is down for a nap I’m going to read that!!
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    fitmomma99 wrote: »
    My response didn’t post for some reason but basically every time I read a book, blog, magazine, or watch videos they have differing opinions about what works. So by the theory you two are talking about I can eat what I want (with in a certain amount of calories) and I’ll lose weight? I know supplements don’t work that’s why I don’t want them but I am so confused as to which diet is the healthiest.
    Blogs, magazines, books, etc are made to sell, to make you want to buy stuff.

Yes, you can eat what you want and lose weight. A healthy diet isn't required to lose weight, only a calorie deficit over time. But in order to have a calorie deficit over time, you need a healthy diet, or else you'll be hungry, hangry, weak and give up and go back to how you ate before. You also need to eat what you like, or else you'll be irritable, resentful, and give up and go back to how you ate before.

There is no healthiest diet. A healthy diet is just getting everything you need but not too much of everything. A balanced and varied diet takes easily care of that.

^ Definitely all this.

The only supplements I'd ever recommend would be if you were continually coming in deficient on something (i.e. iron, calcium, etc) - which I'm sure is something your doctor would also recommend at some point.

Although you can usually meet these with food, sometimes a multi-vitamin is just a nice "back up."

And again, those would just be for your health. It wouldn't help you lose weight.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't take any supplements. Mostly because I believe they are a waste of money. Still lost the weight I wanted.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The only supplements I recommend are those taken to address specific potential vitamin or mineral deficiencies. People may take these based on the recommendation of a doctor or RD or based on research. I take a couple myself (example: Vitamin D).

If you're talking about "supplements" that are supposed to create weight loss, those are completely unnecessary. At best, they're a waste of money.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Look at the Success Stories section of the community forums.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Okay so I would love to drop some pounds, about 100 actually. I am so very sensitive to supplements and have been unsuccessful with out them. Can anyone share success stories with out diet drinks, potions, or lotions?! I know it must be possible I just need some motivation!

You don't need supplements, just eat in a calorie deficit.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    That's because telling someone to eat fewer calories and move a little more isn't going to result in a multi-billion dollar diet and fitness industry...

^QFT.

The fitness/diet industry is a multi-billion dollar fraud machine which preys upon people looking for the magic pill/potion. If any of those "supplements" truly worked for weight loss, the whole world would know about it and there would be no obesity epidemic. The only thing they're looking out for is the cash in your wallet.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    The best weight loss investment you can make is a $20 digital food scale.

The key to weight loss is a calorie deficit. You can create a calorie deficit by eating less, moving more, or combining the two!

To make sure you are actually eating at a calorie deficit, counting your calories accurately is very important. That means weighing your solid foods on a scale and liquids with measuring cups. It may seem like overkill, but once you get into the habit, it becomes very quick and an easy part of the daily routine. The more accurate you count your calories, the more predictable your weight loss will be.

And yes - you can eat anything you want and lose weight. Many of us eat our favourite treats like ice cream, cookies or fast food every day, simply by working it into our calorie goal. Good luck!

All of this! You can do it - it will take patience, consistency and perseverance but no “lotions or potions”.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    My response didn’t post for some reason but basically every time I read a book, blog, magazine, or watch videos they have differing opinions about what works. So by the theory you two are talking about I can eat what I want (with in a certain amount of calories) and I’ll lose weight? I know supplements don’t work that’s why I don’t want them but I am so confused as to which diet is the healthiest.

Don't read such stuff. Read scientific or medical studies and peer reviewd papers. Search in "scholar.google.com" not in "google.com". Trust sources like the Harvard medical school not Mama Bonnie's blog or vlog or ... you get this.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    As said there is no supplement that directly makes you lose weight ... but indirectly some help.

(1) caffeine - motivation during that 5am workout
    (2) cod liver oil - keeps joints supple when doing a lot of lifting and increases Vit D in those winter months also lifting your mood
    (3) protein powder - ok not really a supplement as I see it as a food, but when you need to supplement your diet with a chocolate milk shake why not do it with one that has 20g protein in it
    (4) new gym clothes - when added to a calorie deficit diet can really motivate you to keep going