Need to quit Starbucks!

Options

Replies

• CrystalxDee
    CrystalxDee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Been there too! If you like a cold refreshing drink and love milk - try making some sort of a smoothie? So if you ARE craving something sweet it can be a more natural sugar source.
  • KayHBE
    KayHBE Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    To be important you need to be a leader not a follower.... Following all those others into the Drive Thru line.
  • wryone4
    wryone4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you give yourself something to work toward instead of getting away from something it might be easier? So, Ninja yourself a cold coffee drink at home, and take the $$ you WOULD have spent at Starbucks and put it in a jar every day. If you really spend $180 a month on Starbucks, that's $2100 a YEAR. That could be a pretty sweet vacation. Maybe every time you crave that cup in your hand, picture that money going into a jar and you on a beach. Or, if you like the "status" that Starbucks brings, picture each refusal of the Starbucks siren call as a designer bag or clothing item.
  • Stephen801
    Stephen801 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Talk about first world problems....
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    wryone4 wrote: »
    Stephen801 wrote: »

Sure. But so is trying to lose weight or get fit when plenty in the world don't have enough to eat. We ALL have first-world problems to complain about, but most are here to build toward a healthier lifestyle - being snarked at doesn't help.

Lol that’s what I was thinking... so is losing weight.. the whole purpose behind this website! Lol
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

So are we only supposed to discuss third world problems here? What a jerky response
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to the unsweetened green tea.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    First of all, there is nothing wrong with Starbucks, some previous posters seem to have deep-rooted issues with coffee chains!!

I will chime in as someone who enjoys Starbucks and usually goes there 3-5 times per week. I walk right past it on the way from my car into work so it's easy to order on the app and just grab and go. I'm not a fan of lattes/frappes/etc. My go-to is a grande cold brew coffee with nonfat milk. It tops out at $3 and 25 calories. It's a non-issue and keeps me sane at work so why not?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

So are we only supposed to discuss third world problems here? What a jerky response

what if he's right?
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

what if he's right?

Then this whole Community and just about every discussion needs to be shut down
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

what if he's right?

Then this whole Community and just about every discussion needs to be shut down

nah, he's right tho'.

first world problems.... third world problems, what I wanna know is when does the second world get to have their problems addressed? They've been outta the discussion for quite some time. They are kinda like the middle child of world problems.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    I have always wondered who the second world is made up of, that's for sure.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

I would image the rent there is quite reasonable.

... but the roads are in rather rough shape.

I'm thinking somewhere like, I dunno.... Estonia would be considered second world, but that's just a guess.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I have been googling this for the past 30 minutes nonstop (probably to have an excuse to slack when I have work to do) and I still can't figure out what is what. The only thing I could definitely find is the old definition of capitalist, communist, and non-aligned. I suppose I live in a third world country by most definitions, but it sure doesn't feel like it. Health care is excellent (one of the best according to a random student insurance website google took me to) with modern well-equipped hospitals, low crime and violence rates, high literacy rates and great access to education...etc, and yes, Starbucks is a thing. I'm guessing even third world countries are on a spectrum.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    First of all, there is nothing wrong with Starbucks, some previous posters seem to have deep-rooted issues with coffee chains!!

I will chime in as someone who enjoys Starbucks and usually goes there 3-5 times per week. I walk right past it on the way from my car into work so it's easy to order on the app and just grab and go. I'm not a fan of lattes/frappes/etc. My go-to is a grande cold brew coffee with nonfat milk. It tops out at $3 and 25 calories. It's a non-issue and keeps me sane at work so why not?

Well it works for you. The OP started this thread because they were spending $180 per month at Starbucks and they want to stop or at most spend $25 per month. They wrote that.
  • Laurnelaine
    Laurnelaine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Like someone else suggested about saving everytime you miss a starbucks, save the money and get a coffee maker for home (if you dont already have one). I know you said you’re not fussed on coffee but having a machine that can do the work for you will stop you going there so much
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    $180 is a lot of money for one month coffee and whatever.. seeing those numbers would be enough to keep me driving on past LOL
    Not sure what the draw is to Starbucks, I would never think of going in to one here, not when there are so many non franchise cafes who do much nicer coffee and cakes :smiley:
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Rethink how you think about wealth. You are absolutely right in that's a lot of money you are spending on something that really doesn't matter.

So what do you care about? Then use your Starbucks funds to that-at least mostly. For example:

Fitness: invest in a fun exercise class, gym or equipment.

Security: start a saving account to save for the future.

Family: save for a vacation to see Mom.

It adds up! But wealth isn't in sugar drinks. It us about living a good life.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I didn't like spending calories on my coffee in the am so I found a way to make it work for me. I keep a pitcher of strong cold coffee in my fridge. I mix up 1/2 cup of 1% milk, 2T of half and half, 2 small scoops vanilla protein powder and 1 chocolate, 1T of Splenda, blend it in the ninja, pour it over a few ice cubes in my bubba to go tumbler, top off with coffee. 24oz., 207 calories, 32 grams of protein, 8 grams of sugar. It tastes like a treat. I basically drink it all morning and eat my breakfast meal between 1&2