Treadmill

Options
Doing 30 minutes of treadmill everynight, but only loosing 80 calories seems so low!, is that right? How much calories should it be i should be loosing for doing half an hour?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    We have no way of knowing that without know anything about you or how far you are going in 30 minutes.
  • chubbasophie1017
    chubbasophie1017 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Speed is 5.7
  • chubbasophie1017
    Options
    Distance 2.79 burning 83 calories
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Distance 2.79 burning 83 calories

How many calories you burn is going to depend on your current weight. Heavier people burn more than smaller people even with the exact same activity.
  • chubbasophie1017
    Options
    Ok thanks
  • rckeeper22
    rckeeper22 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It's good to keep in mind that's there a reason they say you can't out-train a bad diet. Exercise is an important aspect of overall health and helps with body comp. But for weight loss, overall, diet is king. Exercising will help, diet's by far the "bang for your buck" factor.
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Does the machine you use have the heart rate monitor on the handles? You could see what your heart rate is and look for a calorie tracker online and see if it meatches up using your heart rate. The treadmill monitor isn't super accurate, but might give you a better idea.

I'm 5'7", 135lbs, and when I calculate out a run like that, I burn around 250 calories. Obviously what I burn could be vastly different than what you burn, but just throwing that out there since 83 seems pretty low to me for that. I'm certainly no expert, though! :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I assume that is miles, not kilometers? The formula for calories burned while running is usually weight x .6 x distance in miles, so 83 calories seems much too low. If it is kilometers, then it might be accurate since the formula for walking is weight x .3 x distance in miles.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I agree that is low. Where is the 80 calories burned number coming from? The treadmill? An online calculator? Do you have to input height and weight? Maybe your doing that wrong. Or maybe the treadmill (assuming that is where the calorie burn is coming from) has a bad formula programmed into it. Google a couple different online calculators to get a calorie burn estimate. Log either the average of 3-4 of them or log the lowest number.
  • chubbasophie1017
    Options
    So i just used a treadmill calculator online saying i wouldnt of burnt 383 calories does that sound more right?
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I use treadmill and varies how many calories i burn, normally 30mins at speed 6 i burn around 250 calories, im 5”2 and weigh 154lbs, hope this gives u an idea ☺️ oh and i use my garmin watch, do not use the treadmill calories burned cus i find it inaccurate.
  • Bec200283
    Bec200283 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just burnt 101 calories doing 3k at 3.5 speed. I’m 5ft and 72kg (152lb), well that’s what my treadmill said
  • chubbasophie1017
    Options
    Ok well i think somethings wrong with my treadmill or something becahse its so low 80 calories
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Doing 30 minutes of treadmill everynight, but only loosing 80 calories seems so low!, is that right? How much calories should it be i should be loosing for doing half an hour?

How far are you going in that time?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So i just used a treadmill calculator online saying i wouldnt of burnt 383 calories does that sound more right?

You do realize you haven't yet given a weight in your responses.

pace and weight is what gives good calorie count.

No one could have a clue what sounds right.

Just use this.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Use the NET option here on MFP.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Things you need to share if you want advice or comparisons:

Distance covered (state km or miles).
    Your weight.
    Are you running or walking?
    Incline, if any.
  • Jasp03
    Jasp03 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ok well i think somethings wrong with my treadmill or something becahse its so low 80 calories

To be honest, most machines like this are not accurate, not even close. In my home gym I have a bike, a treadmill and an elliptical and none of the three show an accurate calorie burn count. I don't know why this is. Maybe because the machines are just estimating, since they don't know our personal stats - couldn't tell ya. I use my Apple Watch for calorie burn count and for me, this is far more accurate. So I ignore anything the machines say.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Jasp03 wrote: »

To be honest, most machines like this are not accurate, not even close. In my home gym I have a bike, a treadmill and an elliptical and none of the three show an accurate calorie burn count. I don't know why this is. Maybe because the machines are just estimating, since they don't know our personal stats - couldn't tell ya. I use my Apple Watch for calorie burn count and for me, this is far more accurate. So I ignore anything the machines say.

Curious how you would know which is accurate?

You can know they are different, but different doesn't mean one is accurate, neither could be - but to know if one is accurate or not would mean you'd have an independent means of confirming calorie burn.

And the Apple Watch ain't it.

Actually, if a treadmill is calibrated for distance correctly, and it asks your weight - it has the best chance of accuracy using formulas that have been around for years.
    Considering treadmills are a major means of testing fitness in studies.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/774337/how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is/p1