Need to lose weight but have injuries

Options
Hi there. My husband has heel spurs and some lower back problems. To minimise his pain and improve his health he needs to lose weight (he's 183cm and 110kg). But strength work just bulks him up and cardio is a killer on his heel. Any ideas?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Exactly, most people don't exercise enough to really make too much difference anyway if they are injured. It's about the food. Stay within calories set for weight loss and weight loss will happen.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    How exactly is he bulking up if he is in a caloric deficit?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    kellie8on wrote: »
    Hi there. My husband has heel spurs and some lower back problems. To minimise his pain and improve his health he needs to lose weight (he's 183cm and 110kg). But strength work just bulks him up and cardio is a killer on his heel. Any ideas?

Is there a reason he hasn't gotten the spurs corrected?

But at the end of the day. He needs to eat less.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from what and how much you eat.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from what and how much you eat.

^^^^ In a nutshell.......you can lose weight without exercising. It's all about energy balance.

If he really wants to do cardio (something I never discourage people from doing) he could find activities that don't put pressure on his heels such as cycling/spinning, swimming, & rowing to name a few.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Eating at a calorie deficit will help him lose weight whether he can exercise or not.

This. You don't have to exercise to lose weight.

If he wants to exercise, he needs to consult a professional to figure out an exercise plan that's safe for him. Random folks on the internet can offer suggestions, but we don't know his health history or the specifics of his injuries.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    You don't lose weight through exercise, you lose it by eating fewer calories than your body consumes in a day. All exercise does (specific to weight loss) is give you more calories you can consume in a day (because you're burning them up in said exercise). Ultimately, you STILL need to eat less than you burn.

So his injuries have nothing to do with his ability to lose weight. Exercise has plenty of OTHER benefits, but even a VERY intense workout for a couple hours a day can at most give me (as an example) half again as many calories.
  • apooler2
    apooler2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately everything starts in the kitchen - trying cooking simple; olive oil, salt/pepper, thyme or rosemary!

Also, and I know he will dispute, but get him to try pilates. He can workout (hard) without inflaming his problem areas.