Soy in Vegetarian Burgers

Options
COGypsy
COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
I'm working on adding soy to my diet to hopefully help with some of the night sweats I've started having. I'm trying to figure out how much soy is actually in a soy burger. Since soy isn't part of a nutrition label in and of itself, is it reasonable to assume that the amount of protein on the label equals the amount of soy?

Replies

• PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I'm working on adding soy to my diet to hopefully help with some of the night sweats I've started having. I'm trying to figure out how much soy is actually in a soy burger. Since soy isn't part of a nutrition label in and of itself, is it reasonable to assume that the amount of protein on the label equals the amount of soy?

No. It really wouldn't. But honestly, why are you monitoring how much soy is in something? Do you have intolerance issues with it?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    PikaJoyJoy wrote: »

No. It really wouldn't. But honestly, why are you monitoring how much soy is in something? Do you have intolerance issues with it?

This.

I've never heard of night sweats related to soy. I'd be interested to hear more about that. But no... it would be next to impossible to track the amount of one ingredient in any processed food unless it was specifically stated on the label.

But if you are trying to specifically add soy, why not tofu, soy milk, edamame, or soy beans in general?
  • PikaJoyJoy
    Options

This.

I've never heard of night sweats related to soy. I'd be interested to hear more about that. But no... it would be next to impossible to track the amount of one ingredient in any processed food unless it was specifically stated on the label.

But if you are trying to specifically add soy, why not tofu, soy milk, edamame, or soy beans in general?

Aside from the above the only other thing I can think of is if maybe you do homemade veggie burgers? Then you'd be able to see how much soy gets put into it.
  • COGypsy
    Options
    A few other ladies I've talked to about night sweats have said they had improvement when they added 1-2 servings of soy a day to their diet. A quick search suggested that would be about 45 grams a day. I'm just trying to figure out ways that could be incorporated into how I'm currently eating.

Mostly I'll try anything to sleep all the way through the night again...I'm either exhausted from waking up and changing clothes a couple of times a night or stoned from the aftereffects of sleeping pills.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    Options
    A few other ladies I've talked to about night sweats have said they had improvement when they added 1-2 servings of soy a day to their diet. A quick search suggested that would be about 45 grams a day. I'm just trying to figure out ways that could be incorporated into how I'm currently eating.

Mostly I'll try anything to sleep all the way through the night again...I'm either exhausted from waking up and changing clothes a couple of times a night or stoned from the aftereffects of sleeping pills.

Do you like tofu? That's the easiest way I can think of. I grew up on it (asian here) so I can eat it with just a small dish of soy sauce and grated ginger for dipping sauce.

You can cook it (tofu) in a few other things like stir fry, certain soups (i.e. miso based), or even scrambled eggs.

If you have time, you can press it to get the moisture out and make fried tofu (mapo is a pretty popular version).
  • COGypsy
    Options

This.

I'm looking at maybe adding silken tofu to my morning smoothie, switching my whey for soy, and could swap out my usual afternoon veggie snack for edamame. I do know that I'd get tired of just one option, so just pondering options.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Cooked edamame are delicious - you can buy them at the grocery store. There's also soy milk, soy yogurt, and soy cheese, and soy nuts as a snack with different flavorings. Plenty of ways to add soy to your diet beside burgers.
  • COGypsy
    Options

Do you like tofu? That's the easiest way I can think of. I grew up on it (asian here) so I can eat it with just a small dish of soy sauce and grated ginger for dipping sauce.

You can cook it (tofu) in a few other things like stir fry, certain soups (i.e. miso based), or even scrambled eggs.

If you have time, you can press it to get the moisture out and make fried tofu (mapo is a pretty popular version).

I don't mind tofu. My sister has been a vegetarian most of her life, so I've had plenty of it. I wonder how it keeps once it's cooked? I only cook once a week, so I'd hate to end up with gritty mush! I do love fried tofu--especially when it's stuffed with duxelle! I'm thinking that might be a challenge to work into my calories and macros all the time though :p
  • PikaJoyJoy
    Options

I don't mind tofu. My sister has been a vegetarian most of her life, so I've had plenty of it. I wonder how it keeps once it's cooked? I only cook once a week, so I'd hate to end up with gritty mush! I do love fried tofu--especially when it's stuffed with duxelle! I'm thinking that might be a challenge to work into my calories and macros all the time though :p

If you use the softer tofu I'm not sure. I go with Firm and Extra Firm. When I've cooked with it, the leftovers lasted 3-4 days. So about on average with most foods, I'd think. If you are eating as is, I wouldn't keep it for more than 2-3 days once opened.
  • COGypsy
    Options

If you use the softer tofu I'm not sure. I go with Firm and Extra Firm. When I've cooked with it, the leftovers lasted 3-4 days. So about on average with most foods, I'd think. If you are eating as is, I wouldn't keep it for more than 2-3 days once opened.

LOL--I'd definitely have to get some tofu cooking lessons! When I've attempted anything with Firm or Extra Firm, it still ends up a goopy mess. The draining and pressing part just never works right for me. I usually just delegate tofu cooking to my sister when we have it...
  • COGypsy
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Cooked edamame are delicious - you can buy them at the grocery store. There's also soy milk, soy yogurt, and soy cheese, and soy nuts as a snack with different flavorings. Plenty of ways to add soy to your diet beside burgers.

Some of those would probably work too. Milk and yogurt (of any origin) are usually foods that I have to heavily doctor and hide in other things, but cheese could be an option. I'd have to cut back on some meals to fit them in, but roasted soy nuts would probably be good--I'm definitely a salty/crunchy snacker!
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I sin with Silk Chocolate Soy Milk.