Exercise question

Options
I’ve just started running small durations and walking the rest on treadmill for 30 minutes. Started last week, doing it at least 2 a week. I’ve noticed my body has increased in size and my weight has gone up a little! It is that due to me starting exercising?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, you're retaining water
  • RunnerElken37
    RunnerElken37 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Has your diet changed? meaning are you eating more because you are hungry? Your body is going through a change and may want to hold on. Keep it up, one week isn’t enough time and I would see if you can do that work out more often. Feel free to add me I have lots of experience in running.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It very well could be water retention. When you work a muscle, it pulls in water to recover.

But I find I have a tendency to eat more when I do aerobic exercise. Remember that weight loss comes from what and how much you eat. You can't exercise yourself out of bad food choices.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    If you look around the boards you'll notice that this is not unusual. Water retention when people start working out is normal. Muscles tend to retain water to help repair but fairly quickly your body will adapt to the exercise and the water retention will subside.