Does eating more make you feel more satiated or more hungry?

Options
2»

Replies

• Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    This happens to me as well. Sunday is my "cheat" day, so I eat more calories and usually an unhealthy meal. I am always starving on Monday and crave junk. I stick to my plan and just ride it out, by Tuesday I am back to normal.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

When you switched to intermittent fasting how fast did your body adjust to this way of eating and were't hungry anymore outside of your eating window?

I used to be able to do IF several years ago for a short while, then went back to regular meals and now I'm very used to eating 3 meals with 1-3 snacks in between. I am afraid that switching to IF will make me feel super hungry outside of my eating window, at least for a while...[/quote]

I adjusted pretty quickly. You may feel hungry in the morning (if your eating window starts later), but find it’s totally manageable with water and coffee/tea, or not :). My feelings of hunger in the morning vary, some days I really don’t feel it at all and sometimes they kind of come and go.

Edit: something happened with the quote, sorry!
  • 17adf33
    17adf33 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    More hungry, without a doubt. I'm fasting for two days a week and helps with hunger. Other 1200 cal days are difficult, although a eating high protein first meal helps.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think this is both physical and psychological. There's part of our paleo brain that says, if there's food, you should gorge yourself now, b/c you don't know where your next meal is coming from. I'm like that with summer fruits that are only in season for a few weeks, like peaches and cherries.

I find that keeping a steady calorie intake from day to day works the best for me. If I don't eat, I get all loopy from my blood sugar being too low.

Suggestion: get more sleep. My doc knows I'm chronically under-rested. This year my resolution was to sleep at least 6.5 hr/night. That would be an improvement from 5.5 hr/night. As the doc promised, I would feel less hungry. I no longer want to carb load to try to stay awake, b/c I've had less shut eye than my body demands. I still get the urge to nibble on junk late at night, but I now know that my body is telling me to haul my tired *kitten* off to bed. Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    oat_bran wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    I am one of those people that eating makes me hungry. It's one of the reasons I gave intermittent fasting a try. It's much easier for me to just not eat for a while so I don't have to fight hunger.
    I have also noticed a few times the morning after a huge meal I would wake up hungrier than had I eaten normally, or lightly the previous night. You may try to play around with meal timing, to see if it affects your hunger.
    Same here. The more I eat, the hungrier I am. That's also why I started intermittent fasting. That has helped me so much with my calorie intake.
    I think this is one reason IF works so well for me. If I eat breakfast, I’m hungrier for the rest of the day.

When you switched to intermittent fasting how fast did your body adjust to this way of eating and were't hungry anymore outside of your eating window?

I used to be able to do IF several years ago for a short while, then went back to regular meals and now I'm very used to eating 3 meals with 1-3 snacks in between. I am afraid that switching to IF will make me feel super hungry outside of my eating window, at least for a while...

IF isn't for everyone. I tried it too but some days I just feel horrible in the morning if I don't eat. Usually I'm not hungry really, but just feeling weak, with no energy (I drink coffee, but black), and overall just crappy. I gave up after 10 days or so, which is too bad, because it's indeed much easier to only eat your calories between 11am and 7pm lol. I typically exercise 3 hours after getting up too, which is really hard on me if I haven't had any food, as I typically start feeling horrible 2 hours after getting up.

I think that it really depends on what time you get up though, on days when I sleep past 7 (rarely), it's way easier than when I'm up at 5am, obviously. But I always wait until I'm actually hungry/need food before eating.

When I was obese, I skipped breakfast most days, but I slept in later, ate more overall (obviously), ate later, and I drank coffee with cream and sugar. Clearly that didn't help me lose weight though, haha!

• JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    personally, I've had days where breakfast or lunch was all I wanted, it filled me up and I was DONE, but I've also had days where I wasn't really hungry but I had something small anyways....aaaannnnddd I ate all the food in the house LOL (not literally, but it sure felt like it!)
    I like to go with - if I'm not hungry, I don't eat. Keep in mind, I used to let the clock dictate to me when I should be hungry. Only make me "hungry" all the time- because I wasn't paying attention to my gut.
  • 17adf33
    Options
    Totally agree with not eating if your not hungry. 3 meals a day diet plans do not suit me at all. I'm looking at calorie intake over a week.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I get hungry prior to meal times which I think is normal but I don't seem to eat that much before I feel full. I maintain on 1950-2000 calories and rarely feel as if I am not satiated. I seem to fill up very easily and when I eat that'll keep me full for around 4hrs. My largest meal is my dinner and it averages 600 cals. The only time I wouldn't feel satiated is if the meal didn't have much protein in it.
  • 17adf33
    Options
    I maintain on 1200 without exercise, hence the fasting.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You've got to find what works for you. This is what works for me:
    • If I eat breakfast I'm just as hungry by 10:30am as I am if I don't eat breakfast, so I don't eat breakfast.
    • If I snack I just want to keep snacking (I think this is more habitual than actual hunger), so I've started to avoid snacking at all.
    • If I eat more at lunch and dinner (like 1000 calories at lunch), I can resist snacking at all, which actually results in me eating less over the course of the day.