Exercise as stress management

Options
Does exercise relax you? Is exercise stress management for you? What does it mean to you?

Replies

• rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    According to my husbands walking and exercise is great for my stress. He sometimes goes so far as to very pointedly suggest that I go for a walk when he can feel I stress
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Running is my ME time!!! My kids and hubby always say they can tell when its a run rest day, I'm a little grumpier. Other exercise though just doesn't relax me at all.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Swimming de-stresses me perfectly before work each morning.
    Sometimes I will go for a walk now rather than eat if emotional/stressed after work.

The rest of my exercise is fun-based. Although squash can be a great stress reliever, much to the upset of my partners, as they tend to think I play 'evil' when stressed. lol
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    working out is certainly my stress reliever. Running is time for me: freedom, fresh air, sunshine, disconnect from the world. Lifting weights allows me to focus on my body, how it's feeling and build something. Netball is fun time with my girls. There is so much evidence out there that exercise and good food having amazing abilities to help with depression and stress.
  • zara1296
    zara1296 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes!! There is nothing more relaxing then running or throwing a few punches when you’re stressed out!! It’s how I’m getting through college! It makes you feel like everything is manageable
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Working out is definitely a way to de-stress. I have a really bad commute - an hour in and an hour home on a 'good' day (a 'bad' day can be double this). First thing when I get home is I change into my workout gear and start my workout (I rotate between strength training, running, elliptical, and bike). More productive and cheaper than seeing a shrink!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Sort of. I LOVE walking outside... it's relaxing to me. I'm more stressed and depressed in Winter and Summer for example because it's often too dark/cold/hot to walk.

I walk on my treadmill a lot too but it's more of a 'I want to watch my TV shows, might as well burn calories so I can eat more' mindset... and I'm more relaxed and less stressed the rest of the day once I hit my 10k steps.

Running didn't do much for me except damaging my foot. I love hiking too but not alone and and that's why I got a dog, unfortunately my dog doesn't do well with strangers and other dogs so I'll probably have to find someone else to go hiking with me (turns out that walking said dog obviously isn't as relaxing as walking alone either, haha).

Strength I find dull and boring and just stick to my 30 push ups every other day.

I did a bunch of tv workouts but most were a chore for me. I loved Beachbody's Body Combat but got tired of the same workouts all the time, and I'm too much of an introvert to really enjoy group classes.

I think that it really helps once you find something you like though.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    There's no question I feel uplifted and invigorated when I do my morning workouts :smile:
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I definitely use it to manage my stress. When I couldn't do physical exercise, due to my back, oh how miserable I was. I had no outlet. I used to box nearly daily. So I took my stress out on my heavy bag, but then I was helpless. Now, I am using my elliptical, which is not my fave, but I can sweat it out and I always feel good after.
  • rckeeper22
    rckeeper22 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely a stress reliever for me. When I'm working out, the only thing I have to focus on is the current rep, taking one more step forward in a run, etc. I'm completely in the 'now'. Nothing outside the gym matters. It's incredibly refreshing; if I'm having a bad day, getting to the gym always puts me in a better mood.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    YES. I MISS RUNNING! I'm looking forward to hitting the pavement as soon as the weather cooperates.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Does exercise relax you? Is exercise stress management for you? What does it mean to you?
    Lol, half my clients box with me. It's their only way to release stress.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    No, not at all actually. Do I generally either enjoy the exercise that I do or feel a sense of accomplishment after the fact? Yes. Is it relaxing or useful to any real degree in relation to my mental health? No.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    For me it is essential as stress release. If I really really want to unwind theree is nothing better than a long walk/hike (at least 2 hours) but a run, bike or any exercise are a pre-cursor for stress realease and after a good release session on the couch with something zen like knitting and I can conquer the world no problems
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately my gym is full during the academic year due to a uni in town so exercise is stressful for me because of the environment I perform it in. Also due to 2 long term health issues I have to be constantly vigilant during exercise and I'm feeling usually unwell and in pain after exercise.
    All in all not a pleasant experience. If only I liked my body the way it is... but alas I want a fit body.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Unfortunately my gym is full during the academic year due to a uni in town so exercise is stressful for me because of the environment I perform it in. Also due to 2 long term health issues I have to be constantly vigilant during exercise and I'm feeling usually unwell and in pain after exercise.
    All in all not a pleasant experience. If only I liked my body the way it is... but alas I want a fit body.

Couldn't you switch it up? Maybe give the gym a break and walk outside or exercise at home? Sorry you find it so stressful!