How accurate are you when tracking your meals?

Options
I'm wondering how exact are you when logging your foods? I'm particularly wondering about green salads? I do weigh my protein, dressings, fats. Thanks

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything. Put my bowl/plate on the scale, and tare it every time I add an ingredient.

For recipes, I eyeball now because I'm lazy (loosely maintaining, but I'm pretty good at it after 5 years), but I used to enter everything in the recipe builder and weigh everything too.
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I eat leafy greens a pack at a time, so I just use the weight it says on the pack. It's probably not that accurate but it's basically just water anyway, so meh. I weigh all other veg that I put into a salad (grated carrot, onion, beetroot, shredded cabbage, etc.)
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    When I'm losing, I weigh everything. Because I'd just rather know.

Now, in maintainance, I eye ball most things, still weighing some.
  • 17adf33
    17adf33 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had major portion distortion, especially with pasta so did start to weigh foods. Big difference.
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Most of the foods that I log, I do measure. I was just curious how everyone else measured. I don't stress too much over lettuce, or cukes, celery, but I do measure everything else. It's just a bit overwhelming at times. Thanks
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    For salads, I weigh everything even the lettuce/greens. When I'm adding a bit of lettuce to a taco, I enter 20g and don't weigh. I'd say I weigh 98% of the food I make at home and eat.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    For a salad I would weigh the important things like chicken avocado cheese dressing etc. but not the lettuce, tomato, cucumber, things that don’t have many calories. Just depends how accurate you want to be.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how exact are you when logging your foods? I'm particularly wondering about green salads? I do weigh my protein, dressings, fats. Thanks

Unless I'm eating at a restaurant, I am exact to the gram. With everything.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I'm at home and preparing my own food, I weigh all solid foods (including vegetables). I consider this to give me leeway to estimate when I'm eating food that others have prepared for me.
  • jsminer827
    jsminer827 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For salads I put in a serving of lettuce - it's like 20 calories or something, and I eyeball it. It's mostly water anyway. Cucumbers and celery are the only other two that I eyeball... everything else that goes on gets weighed. For virtually every other food I eat, I weigh everything to the gram (or convert to ounces, whatever comparative is needed to enter into mfp. If I'm out, I build a meal in mfp and save it for myself so I always have an idea of what I'm consuming calorie-wise (especially helpful because I pre-log most days, so if I know I'm going to X restaurant for dinner, I can plan the rest of my day around that). It isn't perfect, but we know it's calories in versus calories out over time...
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options

Unless I'm eating at a restaurant, I am exact to the gram. With everything.

same. If I'm in my house or in my office. I weigh everything exactly. Even prepackaged things like protein bars.
  • change4char
    change4char Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't bother personally about lettuce or cucumber but everything else is logged.

This. I'll log what I estimate it to be (since I've been weighing for a couple years and feel comfortable doing this), but I won't weigh leafy greens or low calorie vegetables.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I pretty much weigh everything all the time, if I access to my scale. Really small portions of veggies I don't bother with (a piece of iceburg on my burger, or shredded iceburg on a taco) but pretty much everything else gets weighed. I like to keep in the habit so I don't get lazy about it. Drives my husband crazy when I'm weighing all my food before dinner, but I'm the one who has lost 28 pounds, not him!
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I’ve been weighing all my veggies that prior I’d not worry about. Because primarily, I want to make sure I’m hitting my nutrient goals. I honestly am not concerned with the minuscule calories.

There are so many nutrients in veggies. They really are wonderful.
  • dboyer30
    dboyer30 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    JennJ323 wrote: »
    I pretty much weigh everything all the time, if I access to my scale. Really small portions of veggies I don't bother with (a piece of iceburg on my burger, or shredded iceburg on a taco) but pretty much everything else gets weighed. I like to keep in the habit so I don't get lazy about it. Drives my husband crazy when I'm weighing all my food before dinner, but I'm the one who has lost 28 pounds, not him!

This same habit drives my husband nuts! I weigh and measure everything. I've lost 50+ lbs doing this and it works for me!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'd say very accurate. Easiest thing to tare the scale with a bowl on it, and choose a good entry in the DB. I also make use of the recipe builder.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    It varies for me. I had been eating at maintenance for more than the last month due to family circumstances, I didn't log well.

Now I'm back on track, but I still consider myself a sloppy logger at times. I often don't log very low cal veg, or my energy drink if it's 10 calories, and I no longer weigh my prepackaged foods because when I did most items actually came in lower than stated. When I get closer to goal I will probably have to tighten up.
  • gtm197
    gtm197 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For salad dressings and peanut butter I put the bottle or jar on the scale and get an initial reading then re-reading them after I poured the dressing or knifed out the peanut butter to get the net grams used.