Gym Routine Help

Options
I am having a struggle getting into the routine of going to the gym. Here are my two options:

1) Get up at 5 am, Gym (usually done by 6:15-ish), get ready for work, half the days, get my girls up and moving and be out of my house for work by 7:20 am. This option is leaving me tired in the evening and not really wanting to do much. Also means that I need to go to bed earlier, usually trying to be in bed by 9 pm. That gets me less then my desired 8 hours but still within the 7-8 that I should be getting.

2) Go to the gym after work. This puts me at the gym at 5. I have to change at the gym and am usually done at the gym around 6. After that I go home and shower.

Neither option is working out very well for me. How do you working people do it? HELP!

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    honestly if your like most of us and continue to try and find an ideal time youll just drift in to not doing it. Theres never a perfect ideal time for anything. Sort of just need to pick one and stick to it best you can. Id say mix it up but for something like the gym it really is alot easier to have a set routine, Especially since it effects when you sleep.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    honestly if your like most of us and continue to try and find an ideal time youll just drift in to not doing it. Theres never a perfect ideal time for anything. Sort of just need to pick one and stick to it best you can. Id say mix it up but for something like the gym it really is alot easier to have a set routine, Especially since it effects when you sleep.

Agreed. There is never an ideal time... so for me, I take the path of least resistance. Every night as I'm laying in bed, I think about what tomorrow will bring and when I'm most apt to be able to carve out a bit of time for a workout. Sometimes it's early morning. Sometimes it's on my lunch break. It used to be after the kids went to bed, but now that they are older and stay up later, that doesn't work as well.

OP, Regarding your first point... I find that, at least for myself, if I get up early consistently, my body eventually adjusts (somewhat), and evenings aren't such a struggle. If I'm only getting up early on occasion, then it's REALLY hard to get up, AND really hard to stay up.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Agreed. There is never an ideal time... so for me, I take the path of least resistance. Every night as I'm laying in bed, I think about what tomorrow will bring and when I'm most apt to be able to carve out a bit of time for a workout. Sometimes it's early morning. Sometimes it's on my lunch break. It used to be after the kids went to bed, but now that they are older and stay up later, that doesn't work as well.

OP, Regarding your first point... I find that, at least for myself, if I get up early consistently, my body eventually adjusts (somewhat), and evenings aren't such a struggle. If I'm only getting up early on occasion, then it's REALLY hard to get up, AND really hard to stay up.

agreed back. Personally i feel best doing it first thing because its a routine i wake up i do something first thing for myself and then i dont need to worry about being to tired later. If anything exercise first thing energizes me and sets the day up right. I make much beter choices through my day because of it. But thats just me. What do you like OP? Pick a time and make it your priority, It will become easier in time.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

agreed back. Personally i feel best doing it first thing because its a routine i wake up i do something first thing for myself and then i dont need to worry about being to tired later. If anything exercise first thing energizes me and sets the day up right. But thats just me. What do you like OP?

Um, triple agree? The one thing that I like most about early workouts is that there is far less that can come up unexpectedly and prevent me from working out. The only thing I have to contend with first thing in the morning is getting the dogs outside before they pee in the house. Anything later in the day and there's always a chance that something will come up with work, kids will need something, or some other adulting priority will rear it's ugly head.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options

agreed back. Personally i feel best doing it first thing because its a routine i wake up i do something first thing for myself and then i dont need to worry about being to tired later. If anything exercise first thing energizes me and sets the day up right. I make much beter choices through my day because of it. But thats just me. What do you like OP? Pick a time and make it your priority, It will become easier in time.

I agree with this also. I go before work because if I wait until after work, something will always come up to displace the trip to the gym and I end up not going. This is especially true during the school year because my daughter is in orchestra and STEM so there is always something going on in the evenings.

It just takes time to develop it as a habit, but once you do develop the habit you will wonder why you never did it before...
  • SerenityKorin
    SerenityKorin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I work 8-4:30 Mon-Fri and am NOT a morning person. I don't like going to the gym on the weekends or late at night, so I usually do your option 2. Sometimes things come up though, so I am not able to go after work. When that happens, I just try to do something active and fun on the weekend, like go for a hike or a bike ride.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. When I started working out in the mornings I didn't think I could do it but once I committed and got into the habit I can only workout in the mornings. I take a quick shower that helps to wake me up even more. I find that I am relaxed and energized the whole day.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My experience is that there will never be a perfect time. . . . there are just usually *better* times. For me, that means waking up and going before work. I am more tired in the evenings, but that seems pretty natural to me (also, it helps motivate me to get into bed on time so I can do it again the next day!).
  • wryone4
    wryone4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Over the course of my life I have tried so many different times to work out, but the only time that has stuck is before work. The first three weeks are tough as you adjust. But, if you can get your body used to it, you may find it is easier. It works for me because, 1) if I save working out until later in the day, it is SO EASY for other things to take over, 2) Once my body adjusted, I had a lot more energy, 3) I feel like I have accomplished something before my day really starts, 4) I am waiting for equipment less frequently, 5) I am more motivated to make healthy eating choices so as not to negate my workout, 6) If I am feeling good, sometimes I even add another shorter workout at the end of the day - it is like icing on the cake.

That being said, it is hard. NO time is ideal, especially early on as you are building a routine. My best advice is to pick one strategy and stick to it for at least 3-4 weeks. Reevaluate and if it still does not feel like it is working, try another time and stick with it. Then compare or try one more option.

The most important thing is to move. You can do this!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You have to make it a priority, just like work.

I'm not a morning person. I HATE getting up in the mornings. But, it's a high priority to me, so I make it happen. Alarm goes off at 4:30 and I'm at the gym at 5. Workout until 7, home for breakfast (shake), shower, change, and to work by 8:30. I tend to skip my lunch break so I can get home a little earlier, cook, eat, relax for a little bit, then in to bed by 7:30/8, read a bit, then off to sleep (I need my 8-9 pretty much every day to function and not be super cranky).

After work I'm just WAY too likely to skip the gym - first because after all day at work I'm mentally tired, secondly I hate the how busy the gym is at that time, and third, I just want to relax at the end of the day (or putter with things of my choosing).

So, pick your poison. How important is it to you? There's never a "great" time to go...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    NAMsMommy wrote: »
    I am having a struggle getting into the routine of going to the gym. Here are my two options:

1) Get up at 5 am, Gym (usually done by 6:15-ish), get ready for work, half the days, get my girls up and moving and be out of my house for work by 7:20 am. This option is leaving me tired in the evening and not really wanting to do much. Also means that I need to go to bed earlier, usually trying to be in bed by 9 pm. That gets me less then my desired 8 hours but still within the 7-8 that I should be getting.

2) Go to the gym after work. This puts me at the gym at 5. I have to change at the gym and am usually done at the gym around 6. After that I go home and shower.

Neither option is working out very well for me. How do you working people do it? HELP!

The only thing I use the gym for is the weight room and I lift 2x per week with a full body program...I do this on Friday and Sunday as I get off early on Friday afternoons and Sunday is the weekend. There is absolutely no way I could do more than 2-3 days per week in the actual gym with everything else that I have going on.

My primary form of exercise is cycling and one of the reasons I ride primarily road is because all I have to do is gear up and open the garage and go for a ride...or I can just put the bike on my indoor trainer and spin away. Sometimes it's AM, sometimes it's PM...summer is usually AM to beat the heat and winter is usually PM and indoors on my trainer save for nice Saturday afternoons.

Frankly, there is no ideal time; however, I've found that doing most of my work outside of the gym is a lot easier schedule wise and time management wise.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I work out 3 days per week, after work. I cycle to and from work every day. So I finish at 5, cycle home and make my way to the gym around 7 post chill and food break. I get up at 6 a.m. and go to bed at 10.30 p.m.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You have to make it a priority, just like work.

I'm not a morning person. I HATE getting up in the mornings. But, it's a high priority to me, so I make it happen. Alarm goes off at 4:30 and I'm at the gym at 5. Workout until 7, home for breakfast (shake), shower, change, and to work by 8:30. I tend to skip my lunch break so I can get home a little earlier, cook, eat, relax for a little bit, then in to bed by 7:30/8, read a bit, then off to sleep (I need my 8-9 pretty much every day to function and not be super cranky).

After work I'm just WAY too likely to skip the gym - first because after all day at work I'm mentally tired, secondly I hate the how busy the gym is at that time, and third, I just want to relax at the end of the day (or putter with things of my choosing).

So, pick your poison. How important is it to you? There's never a "great" time to go...

Yep, I never had lasting success with a fitness routine until I just made it something on the "happens no matter what" list like work or brushing my teeth.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I plan my exercise into my weekly schedule. I look at what i have coming up and schedule in my workouts. I love to workout in the morning so thats what i do Thursday and Saturday at the gym and then one morning run during the week. The other two days are evening classes and netball. I think you have to have a plan and stick to it. Its certainly easier for me to stick to my morning plan as less chance of something derailing my schedule. I also love working out so i don't let much stop me from getting to my classes.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You don't mention a spouse. Assuming you have one maybe my advice will help.

Hubby is in charge of kid in morning and I do after school pick up, dinner and evening. So I can go to gym early morning and then go right to work.

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    NAMsMommy wrote: »

I didn't, until I got a job with hours that let me do it. For a while it was at a gym RIGHT next to where I worked. Now I have regular but kind of weird hours, where I travel to clients. So if I can't make an hour before work, I can probably fit in a half hour between clients.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I save time by working out at home in the morning. Videos, dumbbells, treadmill, rebounder, pull up bar, and now a set of bands. I can do pretty much anything besides heavy lifting.
  • johnnyalc
    johnnyalc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It sucks as we get older, with more family and responsibility, there is less slice of the time-pie for us. So, in order to maximize what time you have, do things to pull time out of your daily schedule. Pre-Meal-prep for the week will save you an unbelievable amount of time. Make up cottage cheese/yogurt/fruit meals (or similar high protein selections) -- even plan breakfasts for your family. This will give you back the precious min in the mornings, get you a heavy protein load, and help you burn more Kcal in the process. BTW, stick with your morning workout. Don't give that up. You deserve the first minutes of your day. YOU do. Put that in your life bucket first, so that if there are any road bumps in your day, you will always have that in your schedule. Don't worry about being such an early-snoozer, as your stamina and fitness and joy of living fit come back again, you'll see that Midnight hour again with an increased lust for life.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem with days-on and days-off when i try to do it in the mornings. that means i'm either in constant disrupt on the sleep schedule, OR i find myself with 'wasted' awake hours on the rest days, which i hate.

i almost always end up with the after-work thing. but even with that my global policy is mroe like 'just try to get in three workouts per week'. it usually means at least once on the weekends, and then i 'just' have to do two during the week.

no question, it's tough. and i don't even have the active-mom thing in my life anymore.