Exercise as stress management

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    No it’s not a stress reliever but I do feel “better” afterwards for some reason. Like, just “cleaner” on the inside or something. Healthier. It’s in my mind I know.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    yes absolutely. running keeps me sane.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    yes, for me...a big yes. One day off of physical activity is fine, usually two is still ok, but if I take 3 days off in a row for some reason, I start noticing a spike in my anxiety level. Even on vacation I find some way to exercise, I never thought I would be one to do that.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. It won't solve any of your traditional life problems but it sure clears out the cobwebs and gives a chance for a calmer perspective to reign, sometimes. Also, being healthy and fit means one less nagging thing to add to the daily rotation of things to be aggro about.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Yes! In fact if I haven't done some in a week I get a bit crabby.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    facaa6d60566a7c86412bbceeb760006--bicycle-quotes-cycling-quotes.jpg

c0c01fe825678193fcf9ec55ed8b338e.jpg

i_love_cycling_because_therapy_is_expensive_rectangular_sticker-r55514820ab5340e6a8f1d9d070ac62aa_v9wxo_8byvr_324.jpg

claudepepper1.jpg

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I love activity to help with stress. My favs are running and hiking. The longer the better. Sunday my spouse and I are going on a many hour snowshoeing trek. Cannot wait. Plus the calorie burn is pretty awesome.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Generally, a stress relief - but the more out of shape I am, the less relaxing it is for me. I love lifting when I'm angry. Something about moving heavy things mellows me.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love running outside. Being out in nature clears my head. I also love my boxing gym. Best stress relief ever!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I started hiking as a way of dealing with extreme stress at home. Eventually I learned to love it for its own sake, but initially it was simply a way of keeping me from committing suicide or murder. After a couple of hours of walking, I could handle what was happening.

Now, years later, I find that hard exercise is still a way of keeping depression and anxiety at bay. I notice a big difference on my rest days vs. my running days, though I usually do some exercise even on rest days. Spending time in nature is part of it, but there are also the endorphins that get released when I work hard.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Another vote for hiking here! I can actually turn my brain off and all I think about is Where am I going to place my foot down next?
    Can't turn my brain off when running for some reason.
  • Brant904
    Brant904 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Does exercise relax you? Is exercise stress management for you? What does it mean to you?

Yes! Especially on days when I have to do long runs for my training - the gym just gives me time to just focus. Luckily I go at a time when not a lot of people are that is also a benefit.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Stress reliever, mood improver, boredom fixer!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    ^^Agree with this^^
    All gyms ebb and flow in busy-Ness. Can you find a less used time or smaller class that you would enjoy ? Consider various at-home workout options, you can browse the fitness forum here on MFP. As you browse threads, you will find that lots of people here have chronic conditions that require modification and pacing, so you will find there are many options
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    In short, I have used exercise and eating to help balance and manage my chronic fatigue/anxiety/and clinical depression. Yes it works for me to manage and I have very large bouts of it all when I don't. All that relates to my stress levels.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Definitely!! Walks, hikes, cycling are vital to not only my physical health, but my mental well being too.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Unfortunately my gym is full during the academic year due to a uni in town so exercise is stressful for me because of the environment I perform it in. Also due to 2 long term health issues I have to be constantly vigilant during exercise and I'm feeling usually unwell and in pain after exercise.
    All in all not a pleasant experience. If only I liked my body the way it is... but alas I want a fit body.

Couldn't you switch it up? Maybe give the gym a break and walk outside or exercise at home? Sorry you find it so stressful!

Thank you.
    I would've if I could. That's the only big gym in town. I've only seen one other which had 5-6 machines, no floor space and was in a low cieling basement with no windows and no shower. No kidding.

Walking won't make my bum hard. I do walk but just to burn calories to eat more.

I've settled up with it. The pain is another issue though. I wasn't complaining really, just sharing my experience on the topic.
  • MiaWallace2018
    MiaWallace2018 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise is fun. It makes me feel like a kid again. I also enjoy the challenge of pushing myself farther and faster, heavier. It's also social for me - I love the ladies I work out with, and also the cyclists in my bike club. I love running and cycling outdoors, as much in the woods or farm fields as I can. I use the gym in cold/dark weather and enjoy that, too - there are endless ways to challenge myself, be it classes, swimming, and boot camp. It energizes me and makes me feel great for hours - maybe even days. I also enjoy food, and exercise permits me to eat a bit more freely. I like to sign up for races - not to win or even do well compared to everyone else - but just as a goal for me to reach for, something to build towards.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Stress relief? Not really for me.

I enjoy it, I feel better, stronger, etc when I'm working out regularly, but I don't find it having too much affect on my mental happiness or overall stress/worry.

For me, I get that from being on two wheels. Something about riding that forces me into the here and now, and outside of my own head that keeps me sane.

The last time I started to feel depressed, as soon as I was back on a bike - boom. Gone.