What is your opinion on skipping meals when you aren't hungry?

Options
2»

Replies

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I think saving or budgeting calories is a good habit and one many people on MFP use. I'm currently in maintenance, and I still do it. Usually I eat several snacks/small meals throughout the day (3-5) and then eat a normal sized dinner. However, when I know that we're getting free lunch at work, I'll only eat my normal small breakfast, the lunch (which is usually large), then a small dinner or I skip it altogether. If I a holiday or special occasion is coming up, I might eat slightly less the days before and/or after. It's just another way to manage your calories.

I've also found some days I'm just less or more hungry than normal. I will eat less if I'm just not hungry (or more sedentary), although unless I'm sick, I don't eat less than 1200 calories. Then if I'm hungrier than normal (or more active), I'll eat a bit more. It usually all evens out.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I think saving or budgeting calories is a good habit and one many people on MFP use. I'm currently in maintenance, and I still do it. Usually I eat several snacks/small meals throughout the day (3-5) and then eat a normal sized dinner. However, when I know that we're getting free lunch at work, I'll only eat my normal small breakfast, the lunch (which is usually large), then a small dinner or I skip it altogether. If I a holiday or special occasion is coming up, I might eat slightly less the days before and/or after. It's just another way to manage your calories.

I've also found some days I'm just less or more hungry than normal. I will eat less if I'm just not hungry (or more sedentary), although unless I'm sick, I don't eat less than 1200 calories. Then if I'm hungrier than normal (or more active), I'll eat a bit more. It usually all evens out.

This is me exactly. Even down to the free lunch at work.

Even in maintenance, I skip meals. If I'm truly not hungry, I do not see the point in eating. I'll certainly make up for it later in the day or perhaps the next day. I frequently skip lunch on Saturdays because my husband and I almost always go out to dinner Saturday night and with my husband, it's never a small meal. I'll usually just have a few small snacks throughout the day and save the bulk of my calories for the meal out.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I wish I could skip meals if I'm not hungry. I just need to eat all the time.
  • Sammisummers
    Sammisummers Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it's absolutely fine because in doing this you are really listening to your body, there's no point eating if you are not hungry. But the same goes the other way too.
    Wish it would happen to me though, I'm constantly hungry!
  • Wen2Run
    Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have no problem skipping meals when not hungry, not that that is often, but something I do find happens is that when I "forget" to eat, I can go for most of the day without food and then the first thing I eat sends my body in to overdrive and I just want to consume everything and I don't have a "full" trigger.

This normally happens if I'm working from home and am locked away in the office working. I don't notice the time and then it's 15:00 and I haven't eaten all day.

If I then eat anything, I will become the human locus. Is this something anyone else has experienced?
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Skipping meals is fine if planned for ... its kind of the basis of intermittent fasting. Eat all your calories later on in the day.

Skipping can become a problem if you do it in reaction to something and can lead to food disorders though ... Ie you ate too much for breakfast when you ordered that latte and muffin and now you are panicing so decide to miss lunch even though you are hungry ... you don't want to go down this road.

But I know I have a heavy food weekend coming up, I know my next two days of training are relatively light days, so I will be Intermittent fasting over these two days and only eating in the evening, so I meet my calorie goals for the week
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Doing it occasionally isn't a big deal, but if it becomes recurrent, be mindful of why you're skipping meals. Is it truly lack of hunger, or are you simply distracted and forget to eat.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Nope... I try and eat often even if I'm not hungry. My body goes into starvation mode and keeps extra fat when I starve it. If I eat when I'm not hungry, I only eat what is good for my body. If I wait until I'm hungry, my brain and body argue about what to eat. I consider my options when I'm hungry. I think more like "what I can eat that makes sense" when I'm not hungry.
    Actually "starvation mode" doesn't exist and you don't keep extra fat when you "starve" it. If starving actually was apparent, then starving people shouldn't be skinny and malnourished.
    The fitness industry has duped a lot of people into thinking you HAVE to eat several meals a day to "keep your metabolism going" or "burn fat". In physiology....................that's NOT how it works.
    If eating more often keeps you from being hungry, then fine. But eating more often means you have to space out your calories per meal and whether you eat them all in several meals or just a couple, as long as you're in a deficit, you'll lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I always do find it astonishing how many people think that their body just shuts down all fat mobilization just because they are 5 seconds late on some fantasy schedule. Apparently, our ancestors were completely anal about eating and had amazing metabolisms that ran on sunshine and air in case they didn't get that meal in on time. (Ok, if you reduce it down all the way our energy does come from sunshine but...)
  • Wen2Run
    Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Nope... I try and eat often even if I'm not hungry. My body goes into starvation mode and keeps extra fat when I starve it. If I eat when I'm not hungry, I only eat what is good for my body. If I wait until I'm hungry, my brain and body argue about what to eat. I consider my options when I'm hungry. I think more like "what I can eat that makes sense" when I'm not hungry.
    Actually "starvation mode" doesn't exist and you don't keep extra fat when you "starve" it. If starving actually was apparent, then starving people shouldn't be skinny and malnourished.
    The fitness industry has duped a lot of people into thinking you HAVE to eat several meals a day to "keep your metabolism going" or "burn fat". In physiology....................that's NOT how it works.
    If eating more often keeps you from being hungry, then fine. But eating more often means you have to space out your calories per meal and whether you eat them all in several meals or just a couple, as long as you're in a deficit, you'll lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I always do find it astonishing how many people think that their body just shuts down all fat mobilization just because they are 5 seconds late on some fantasy schedule. Apparently, our ancestors were completely anal about eating and had amazing metabolisms that ran on sunshine and air in case they didn't get that meal in on time. (Ok, if you reduce it down all the way our energy does come from sunshine but...)

That reminded me of this news report

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/swiss-women-dies-giving-water-food-thought-live-sunlight-article-1.1067359
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

its so much easier to think that though than to take personal responsibility for yourself...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

its so much easier to think that though than to take personal responsibility for yourself...

Unfortunately, we do have a tendency to play head games rather than accept responsibility for ourselves.
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my first meal until 6pm. I prefer to save my calories for the evening when I generally hungrier than during the day. Lost 6-stone this way and am healthier than ever.
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I sometimes skip meals if I'm not hungry. Especially breakfast.

However, sometimes I have trouble feeling hunger after a big weightlifting workout. I'm hungry and I start eating my dinner and then I just stop. I take a break and make myself finish a half an hour later. I don't know what makes that happen but I know I need the food. If I just skip that meal, I'm going to be awake and ravenous at 1am, and probably eating snack food that doesn't meet my macro goals.
  • 17adf33
    17adf33 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm more hungry with reduced intake than fasting. Not sure why that happens!
  • 17adf33
    17adf33 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Possibly because I don't think about food; its just that's it, rather than planning meals
  • DennysWifeMrsMattox
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I've tried skipping meals, ate only 1000 calories, worked out... And the scale wouldn't budge. Maybe I gained muscle? Who knows... But when I ate 4-6 small meals a day, and stopped eating between 8pm and 7am, I lost weight. I think everyone's body is simply different. Am I a doctor? Am I a nutritionist? Nope... But I know my body.
  • hotskytrotsky
    hotskytrotsky Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hunger is such a weird thing. It's often not that closely related to how much (or how many calories) we actually need and consume. My goal is to try to listen to my body's hunger signals and eat when I want to, but make sure to eat something nutritious and make careful choices about treats. So if I feel very full after eating a lot, I'll often wind up skipping the next meal until I feel hungry. I have noticed that some days I want to eat small amounts frequently and some days I don't eat frequently but will have a larger meal in the evening. I try to plan for both options and have healthy snacks around in case I want them, and be flexible enough to not worry about changes from the plan.