Healthy-ish choices from the Chinese takeaway????

Options
Nikki_Cherry
Nikki_Cherry Posts: 31 Member
edited January 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Friday night means cheat night :D

I'm following a low carb/high protein/high fat diet and wondering what choices from the Chinese takeaway might fit with that!

Obviously no rice or noodles but sauces wise I'm not too sure what to go for......

#hangry ;)

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I usually get Moo Goo Gai Pan. You could ask for extra chicken or have them add shrimp to up the protein. Cashew chicken, Kung Pao or something like beef and broccoli are also good options as long as you are okay with the carbs that come from the vegetables. There is likely corn starch in the sauce too, but I can't imagine that it would add too many carbs.
  • Nikki_Cherry
    Nikki_Cherry Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ooo thank you, i like Kung Po chicken! I was also debating chicken satay.....with the extra protein coming from the peanuts, but id imagine they would add a fair bit of sugar. I'm definitely okay with clean carbs from veggies just want to avoid anything battered or loaded with sugar
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't low carb, so I eat a moderate portion of rice. Perhaps you could steam some riced cauliflower for your take out.

Of course you want to avoid battered, because that means deep fried.

Avoid sweet & sour. Google typical Kung Pao recipes - not much sugar at all. But your restaurant may use sugar in any/most/all recipes.

Pick something with lots of veggies....especially if you aren't serving it on top of anything.

"Clean" food (whatever your definition is) doesn't effect weight loss.....that's simply a matter of maintaining your calorie deficit.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    .... forgive me for being... oh I dunno- dense. but isn't the point of a cheat meal to get what you want rather than trying to cram it into your diet plan?

I kind of wondered the same thing. I'm not trying to be rude. I guess I don't get it. If I'm going to eat a "cheat" meal then I order whatever I want for it.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    beef broccoli is boring imo but it would fit your needs!
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I dont even try to avoid anything. If i order chinese I accept that its going to be a bigger meal and account for it in the rest of my day/plan ahead. I did however teach myself how to cook all of the dishes that i do like so that i could make them at home for less calories and to my tastes when i felt like just having say .. sesame chicken for dinner.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I used to just get the to steam veggies, extra chicken. Then I'd take it home and add some spinach and avocado. No sauce. Just a little salt. Or a lot of salt.