Can't seem to hold the fort on weekends

Options
Ok, so for the last six months I have lost and regained the same 5 pounds. It's because I always seem to totally go off the rails on the weekends. I do really well during the week and lose a few lbs, then I go nuts on the weekends and and gain it all back and have to start over. I could do this when I was young. As a matter of fact, it's how I maintained my weight for decades. Strict during the week, go crazy on the weekends. But now that I'm getting close to that 50 mark it just doesn't work anymore. So tell me, how do you stay motivated on the weekends?

Replies

• MishellKay
    MishellKay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Maybe the key is to not go "crazy" for the whole weekend... maybe just for a meal or for an event. That way, you don't undo all of the hard work you have put in during the week. I find it hard to get to the gym over the weekend, but I still try to do some stretching / resistance work at least on Saturday so that the Monday morning return isn't so painful! I know it is hard, but the investment is really in yourself... make yourself and your life changes a priority!
  • Laceylou75
    Laceylou75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Woof. This is the exact same thing I struggle with. Do you usually wake up around the same time/go to bed at the same time/eat at the same time on the weekend as you do during the week? Generally, I don't, which is what throws me off. I tend to wake up much later and burn more calories on the weekend from general activity. So I've found that if I eat two big meals later in the day (brunch and dinner) I can be crazier with my meals. Do you think that might work for you too?
  • combsshan
    combsshan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I'm one of those morning people. Doesn't seem to matter how late I go to bed, I'm generally awake by 7-7:30 at the latest. Breakfast and dinner are usually around the same time. Lunch varies. My big issue is that on Friday nights my husband and I have a "date", have done this since our son was a baby. It's the only day of the week that we go out and I tend to want to splurge and then we always have some kind of dessert. Then there is always a big family meal with the parents on Sunday after church with high calorie food and dessert. I thought that if maybe I can be good on Saturday, then I could still splurge on Friday night and Sunday lunch. I've just got to wrap my brain around the fact that I can't splurge for a full 48 hours anymore. Hard to break old habits. I guess it's like my grandma used to say, "Getting old ain't for sissy's." :D
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    You keep a food diary? What do you do with that on weekends?

Are you too restrictive during the week?

Is there anywhere you’re safe on weekends? My problem was being around the house. Solutions- get out or find a really dirty job to do.
  • combsshan
    Options
    @88olds, I don't think I'm being terribly restrictive during the week. I started out at 160lbs. I'm a 5' 4", moderately active woman and I've cut my calories down to 1600/day (I estimate I was eating 1800-2000 before I started trying to lose some weight). On that I lose a 1-3 pounds a week, depending on just how active I am. Right now I weigh about 155, when I get down to 150 and can maintain that for a while I'm going to cut another 200 calories to see if I can get down to 145. I'm certainly not starving, I can eat a decent amount of food and not feel terribly deprived except for the sweets. Oh the sweets. They are my bugaboo and they are where I fall off the wagon on the weekends. My inner 3 yr old thinks she should be able to have dessert after lunch and dinner all weekend long and I have a hard time controlling her.. I should probably give sweets up all together, but I don't really want to. Especially since my mother could be a 5 star pastry chef and I really don't want to go the rest of my life without ever eating one of her desserts. B)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    In desperation, I finally joined Weight Watchers. When I started WW I determined that I needed some sort of daily treat. So I did quite a bit of study and experimenting. I concluded that I got the most bang for the WW pt aka calories, with something frozen. If it’s some sort of modified LF, low sugar, no carb ice cream, I’ve tried it.

But here was the deal, if I gave into the cookies at work or caved to the candy craving in the afternoon- no ice cream. This worked for me.

And just this observation from many hours of WW meetings, people trying to lose weight with a strong attraction to baked goods travel a tough road. Good luck.

Btw your targets seem perfectly reasonable.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    On weekends, I tend to pick the meals I care about most and work around those. For example, my breakfasts at home don't very much in total calories and lunch is kind of hit or miss depending on how hungry I am or what I might be doing later.

I do eat out several times a week though and what I've found is that I had to redefine what a "special" occasion was. Going out usually ends up a bit of a splurge, but I focus on what sounds good and what's reasonable. I'd love to have a plate of fried calamari every week, but a good bit of the time I opt for a starter salad. If a particular burger sounds good, I go with it, but see if I can get a bison patty or chicken breast or eat it open-faced. I find this is generally an easy compromise and doesn't make a big deal of me needing to eat somewhere with "diet food". I have a group of friends I eat with every week and I doubt anyone even knows I'm trying to lose weight.

I think my dad cooks like your mom! When it comes to lots of tasty food...and in the case of my dad, lots of our family's traditional-extra-good-love-and-miss-them-so-much dishes, I've found that a few bites are more than enough to satisfy my tastebuds and much more past that OMG-I-forgot-how-much-I-love-this first few bites doesn't really taste any better. I've gradually reduced the portions that I take to about half of what I used to get. I didn't do it all at once, kind of worked my way down so I wouldn't get those "you've gotta eat" lectures. I still feel satisfied and happy and I get to enjoy the things I really want to eat. It also leaves room for those REALLY good treats. I'll gladly halve my serving of chile cheese squash casserole to be able to have an extra chile relleno! :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    combsshan wrote: »
    Ok, so for the last six months I have lost and regained the same 5 pounds. It's because I always seem to totally go off the rails on the weekends. I do really well during the week and lose a few lbs, then I go nuts on the weekends and and gain it all back and have to start over. I could do this when I was young. As a matter of fact, it's how I maintained my weight for decades. Strict during the week, go crazy on the weekends. But now that I'm getting close to that 50 mark it just doesn't work anymore. So tell me, how do you stay motivated on the weekends?

Well, what you described is exactly how I'm doing it. I eat light during the week and a lot on the weekends. I wouldn't say I go crazy on the weekends, but generally I eat about twice as much on Saturday and Sunday as I do on weekdays. I'm 55 and have been maintaining my loss for 2 years this way.

Maybe you just need to dial back the crazy a bit on the weekends. Or go even lighter during the week.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think best advice is worry more about your weekly caloric intake more so than your daily.

Example
    3500 cal (500/day for 7 days) deficit will lose 1 lb of fat.

If you eat 1200/day Monday to Thursday that's 4800 cals. Then Friday you eat 3000 cals, Saturday 2000 cals, and 3000 again on Sunday, that's 8000 cals plus your 4800 cals earlier in the week for a total weekly intake of 12800 calories. If the 1200 cals a day was your 500 a day deficit to lose that 1 lb you would have consumed 8400 calories for the week. The binging weekends put you 4800 cals over the deficit for the week. All numbers made up for illustration purposes

I hope this didn't come off rude or anything it was the only way I think of explaining it as it was how I looked at it when I started my journey from 320lbs to 199lbs today. I think if you were to log what you ate on the weekend you would see where the big calories are at. This does not mean no date night and no nice meals just now and and make small adjustments and you will see it work for you.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not about motivation to diet on weekends. Rather, it is about planning to eat.

I plan to have breakfast at my breakfast time, lunch at my lunchtime, and supper at my suppertime. I have room for some small snacks, and if I do more exercise I'll eat for that, as well.
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I struggle with weekends too! All my socializing seems to involve food. In your shoes, I would pick one of the two meals as my "cheat" meal and try to eat with some control for the other one. I'm guessing it would be easier to get your husband to support you in wanting to be reasonable than your whole family at family dinner - but choose the one you think will be easiest.

When I'm going to a restaurant, I read whatever menus I can first, and decide ahead of time what I will eat. I find it's easier to not be tempted by the higher calorie options that way.

Before heading out, I eat a high protein snack (egg whites and salsa). I find this helps me make better decisions once there.

At the restaurant, I drink a lot of water and try to limit the bread. I stick to one drink or no drinks. (Offering to be designated driver helps me stay motivated on that front).

I find dinners with friends or family more complicated. The food tends to be healthier but portions are harder to control. When we help ourselves to the food, I start with the veggies and fill up my plate with that, to then move on to proteins and carbs. If the host is making the plates, I will try to ask for smaller portions.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    For me, I stay on track during the weekends because I make it a priority. I want to lose the last 20lbs more than I want that piece of pie. You can still enjoy your date night and family gathers after church Sundays. Spend more time talking and interacting and less time eating. Plan ahead if you can (on a restaurant, view menu and pre-log food for date night).
  • combsshan
    Options
    Thanks Guys for all the suggestion. I really appreciate how supportive the MFP folks are. It's good to know that others struggle with the same things. @btcowboy I never thought about doing my calorie counting as a weekly thing. Definitely something to consider. If I just dropped another 100 calories a day for Monday-Thursday that would give me a little extra wiggle room.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    It's far less about motivation and more about planning, structure, and making the choice to hold yourself accountable. The lightbulb came on for me when looking back at my log that I almost never finished logging a full day on the weekends. Fixed that issue and have almost a 200 day streak going, down 10 lbs since October.
  • Jclark14454
    Jclark14454 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I’m with you. I have started planning what I will eat each day just like during the week. Actually with more focus than during the week. And last week I said no to alcohol. It seems even 1 low carb drink slows my weight loss. I’m doing low carb this week (Wednesday-Wednesday) I am down 3lbs so far!! Usually I am trying to lose the weekend weight on Tuesday
  • combsshan
    Options
    I agree with the pre-logging. I did that this weekend and I did soooo much better. I didn't gain back any of the weight I lost this week and even managed a treat or two. Sushi, ice-cream and a very small piece of coffee cake. :)
  • HBF29
    HBF29 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. This weekend I was within calorie goal on Saturday, but went over on Sunday. I think what's hard for me too is that I usually work from home on Mondays, so if I've slipped then that tends to carry into a 3rd day on Monday. Let's just say over this past weekend there was fast food involved.

BUT instead of throwing in the towel I just logged everything to keep myself accountable and I weighed in again this morning. I had a regain of about 1.5 pounds but I was mentally prepared to see that based on my food diary so instead of being devastated and demotivated, it was an expected blip and one that I can recover from. That's part of this process. I also did a good workout on Saturday, and can still feel the burn in my hammies! A reminder to myself that perfection is not the goal, but even a negative day/weekend can still have positives in there too.

I saw some tips about pre-logging so I'll give that a try if I know I want to indulge.

Let's not talk about Super Bowl Sunday coming this weekend.