Anyone have a strange/annoying story about what happens when

Options
I didn't know where else to put this so I thought I'd put it here..

I posted it on my page a few days ago and got little responses, so I thought I would through it out to all of the community.

So this happened to me a few days/ week ago (taken from my page so it might sound kinda awkward):

"So my neighbor literally stalked me down today while I was jog/walking and flagged me down asking me stupid questions while I'm trying to exercise... I told her I couldn't let my HR go down and she followed me around slowly on a bike! That was uncalled for, rude, and inappropriate timing as there could be! And her questions were ridiculous and could no way be answered by a tired huffing person... She wanted to know if she ride the bike for an hour if she's loose weight... I really didn't have the energy to explain it all (AGAIN)... It was so fusterating. Am I overreacting? Anyone else get bothered like this and get annoyed? "

So what about you guys.. do you have any "annoying" moments like this from family/friends/strangers? Do you think I have a right to be annoyed.. I mean I know she was about sorta nice, but it wasn't the appropriate time to do it!

Anyone else have stories about stuff like this happening to them, because I would love to hear about it!!

Replies

• SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    When I work out I use my cell phones stop watch app and it seems like whenever I work out is the only time anyone texts or calls. So I have to get out of it and stop working out to text back and then reset it and then they are back again!
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    They just dont understand. You are probably an inspiration to you and she looks up to you.:flowerforyou:
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Put on some headphones and pretend you can't hear her. She should get the point, lol. Works for me, I pop mine on at the gym, and nobody bugs me.

Or you can just tell her that WHILE you are working out isn't a good time to talk about working out.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I would have told her to eff off!! Your neighbour would have pushed me over the edge!!

my kids play in the room where I work out and it seems just as soon as I get a good heart rate going I have to tie something, or wipe something, or open a snack or whatever.
  • OnCmommy
    OnCmommy Posts: 40
    Options
    I've been doing WW for a loooong time now (but not to lose all 90 lbs I've lost) and I have this annoying friend who just joined and texts me with EVERYTHING like "what is a good example of meals" "how many points are eggs, wheat toast & skim milk" ... Seriously?! I'm trying to do this myself, I don't need to be counting your calories & everything too!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're overreacting at all. I highly suggest an mp3 player and those headphones that go inside of your ear canal.

If you've already got that going, or are opposed to it, then you need to just tell her that this is an inappropriate time to talk and if she continues, just ignore her.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    That would annoy me to no end. I would either talk to the person or take a different route. When ppl see me with headphones on, they usually don't bother me, thank goodness!!
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Put on some headphones and pretend you can't hear her. She should get the point, lol. Works for me, I pop mine on at the gym, and nobody bugs me.

Or you can just tell her that WHILE you are working out isn't a good time to talk about working out.

I tried.. she got up in my face.. (literally moved the bike in front of my path) and pointed at my headphones.. I had to take them off to get around her and keep going :(
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Oh the joys of working out after work in my hotel, by myself, with no distractions...

BTW, the phone is IGNORED during my workout...ain't a damn thing so important that it can't wait 45-60 minutes...that's why I workout AFTER work...
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    That would annoy me to no end. I would either talk to the person or take a different route. When ppl see me with headphones on, they usually don't bother me, thank goodness!!

Yeah unfortunally she lives directly across from me and I swear she watches me.. it's freaky.. but my parents who used to live aournd here before they moved are friends with her and asked me not to be rude... but it's so hard when she pulls this crap.
  • dkb228
    dkb228 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would have thought it was annoying, but I probably would have said something like, "I'd love to talk to you about this, but I really need to concentrate on my workout. It's hard for me to focus when I'm also having a conversation. Could I maybe swing by when I'm done so we can talk?" If your neighbor is genuinely interested in getting healthy and sees you as an inspiration, then this should get her to leave you alone.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you were not rude, but your neighbor was out of place. You don't interrupt a person that is working out (or working for that matter), unless the place is on fire.

I suggest that you either call or visit your neighbor when you are not huffing and explain to her how important your workout is and that interruptions are out of the question, and that you appreciate her understanding. Then go ahead and answer her stupid questions (AGAIN!), and ask her to remember your answers.

If she continues with her inappropriate behavior, then you will have to ignore her. Sometimes rude people only understand rude responses.

I do workout videos at home few times a week, and I tell my husband that I am not available to anybody, unless there is an emergency, until I am done; and I don't answer house or cell phone either. That is why I have voice mail.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I would have told her to eff off!! Your neighbour would have pushed me over the edge!!

my kids play in the room where I work out and it seems just as soon as I get a good heart rate going I have to tie something, or wipe something, or open a snack or whatever.

This happens to me all the time too!!! I wish I was able to work out at a gym and didn't have to resort to using my kids playroom as a gym!! I think my 6 year old has figured out that I get grumpy if he interupts me while I'm exercising, but the 2 year old hasn't figured that out yet!!
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you want to be nice to your neighbor, you could say something like, "I'll be back in 45 minutes; we can talk then."
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You can't fix stupid. Sometimes, you just have to say ...."While I'm working out is not a good time to talk." Period. Then go on your way. You will probably have to repeat yourself day after day. Be firm. Stick to the script. Like a dumb dog, eventually you can train them ... but Lord help you in the interim. Someone so rude has to stand in front of you and tell you to take off the ear phones, is no light annoyance.

Good luck!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I tried.. she got up in my face.. (literally moved the bike in front of my path) and pointed at my headphones.. I had to take them off to get around her and keep going :(
    ... Is she mentally retarded? Seriously. I just can't contemplate why someone who didn't have a disability would behave this way.
    but my parents who used to live aournd here before they moved are friends with her and asked me not to be rude... but it's so hard when she pulls this crap.
    You = adult. Be rude, you don't have to be friends with your parents' friends.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    I'm really straight about things with people. My neighbor has tried to stop me when I'm going around the block to ask me questions and I'm like "I'll talk to you later. " If she would have gone around with me, I would have told her it's fine if she wants to go around but I don't talk while I'm working out.

One thing that does annoy me on a very low low level is when this woman in my boot camp class brings her very small children (probably 4 and 6 years old) to class to let them run around in the area we're working out. Last time we were doing sprints and stuff and the kids were running through our lines. I was like, really?! But most of the time, they play off to the side and don't bother anyone. But as a mom I and many other moms are constantly watching for them by the lake or making sure they don't run around where the homeless people are sleeping. I'm stressed out by it at first and have to turn it off so I can relax and enjoy class.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Sorry your neighbor is so self invoved that she can't see how hard you are working to work out and to leave you alone untill you are finished! To bad being stupid isn't painfull!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I work in a gym and people have a tendency to not separate my workout time from my work time. They'll walk up while I'm on the treadmill or lifting weights and start blabbing on and on and asking for advice like my time is free. It' annoys me to no end! I give them one warning to stay out of the way when my headphones are in my ears. After that, I ignore them. If they get in the way, they get hit with a weight. Not my fault if you are right in line with my lateral raises. Sorry, guess you'll have to catch me when I'm not focused on my workout. LOL Don't get me wrong, I can be sweet as pie and will give all the free advice they want when I'm not working out. But it got to be such a problem that I literally joined another gym to be able to get a workout in without being interrupted only to be annoyed there by watching their "trainers" nearly injure people or spend all their time flirting with clients instead of training them. So, I told my front desk staff to warn everyone that I'm on ME time and interruptions are dangerous to me because of the heavy weight I'm lifting and to them because of the heavy weight I'm lifting. Anyone who misses the message at the front desk gets one warning from me, loud enough that the whole gym can hear so they get other warnings from other gym members too if they act like they are going to get back in the line of fire. I was worried that being a hard-nose about it would cost me clients, but it's actually been great for business. People now watch me in the gym and after my workouts ask me to push them as hard as I push myself.

I don't know if you could be a little more assertive and it work or not, but being scary certainly helps. I've been known to scare people when I start hitting the heavy bag. I don't wear gloves or tape my hands, I just start beating the crap out of it. I was asked once why I don't and I explained that scumbags on the street who want to try something aren't going to give me time to put gloves on before I defend myself, so I train to make sure my hands are ready in case I ever have to throw those punches for real. Surprisingly, even when I was being interrupted daily while doing my workouts, nobody ever interrupted me while I was punching the bag. I apparently look to scary then. :wink: I don't know how you can look scary while running, but maybe you can figure out how and try that? If not, you can always hang a heavy bag in your garage and let her see you releasing all your pent up anger one day and I bet she'll leave you alone then. :laugh: Good luck.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm really straight about things with people. My neighbor has tried to stop me when I'm going around the block to ask me questions and I'm like "I'll talk to you later. " If she would have gone around with me, I would have told her it's fine if she wants to go around but I don't talk while I'm working out.

One thing that does annoy me on a very low low level is when this woman in my boot camp class brings her very small children (probably 4 and 6 years old) to class to let them run around in the area we're working out. Last time we were doing sprints and stuff and the kids were running through our lines. I was like, really?! But most of the time, they play off to the side and don't bother anyone. But as a mom I and many other moms are constantly watching for them by the lake or making sure they don't run around where the homeless people are sleeping. I'm stressed out by it at first and have to turn it off so I can relax and enjoy class.

I had a woman bring kids like that to the gym one day and they wouldn't stay in the children's area. I told her to leave. She seemed appalled, but then I had to explain how her child could get hurt crawling around equipment and being in the way where people are lifting weights and could accidentally drop a weight on them. I was polite then and she seemed to get it and left them at home from then on. I told our owner, though, that I'd be glad to spank the Mom for not teaching her children discipline. LOL It's just ridiculous to me that parents don't take the safety of their kids into consideration when bringing them out in public.