Sleep paralysis.......

Options
melipon2166
melipon2166 Posts: 32 Member
What causes sleep paralysis??? I hate it!! It freaks me out! Does anyone else have them? How can I stop them?

Replies

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I have lots of sleep issues...sleep paralysis included...on rare occasion...don't know how to stop it, it is scary
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Researchers have had some success treating sleep paralysis. The link below is a fairly reliable source regarding sleep paralysis:

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-paralysis#1
  • SherFit89
    SherFit89 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I had it happen to me all the time ! Then I realized it only happened when I fell asleep laying on my back.. So now I just always make sure to fall asleep laying on my side. I've had no issues ever since.
  • angel4732
    angel4732 Posts: 14,898 Member
    Options
    Try not to sleep on your back. Does it happen when you're going to sleep or when you're waking up?
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    It happened to me constantly when I was in college but I haven’t had it happen in a few years now. If I could just... wiggle... my pinky...

I also seemed to get it when I was on my back and if I was generally sleep deprived.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure what causes them or how to stop them, I’m sorry. I just know telling yourself to wake up or sit up seems to help.

No it doesn't
  • puga2
    puga2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also get sleep paralysis if I lie on my back! I have to lie on my side or stomach (which sucks because I find lying on my back the comfiest)

I got a weighted blanket for Christmas and it has helped me calm down as I try to fall asleep :-)
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Ive had it happen quite a few times and it's always terrifying!!! I feel like Im legitametly about to die!! Ive had it happen several times sleeping on my side so I wish that was something that helped me but everyone is different. The only thing my incidences had in common were they all happened when I was unusually exhausted. I figured maybe my body fell asleep before my mind (just my theory though) Either way, sorry you're going through that, its not fun!!!
  • melipon2166
    Options
    angel4732 wrote: »
    Try not to sleep on your back. Does it happen when you're going to sleep or when you're waking up?

Both at times and several a night.
  • melipon2166
    Options
    I’m not sure what causes them or how to stop them, I’m sorry. I just know telling yourself to wake up or sit up seems to help.

I do that! I saw wake up or try and hit myself but i know im dreaming. It's scary.
  • melipon2166
    Options
    What causes sleep paralysis??? I hate it!! It freaks me out! Does anyone else have them? How can I stop them?

I have gotten it before...feels bizarre! However, it can be really cool. You are either in or close to an altered state of consciousness where you can have a really cool dream experience.

Visualize a rope coming out out of your chest. Grab the rope and pull up.

You might be really sursprised when it works!

Keep in mind that as real as it seems...it isn't real...it is a dream. But, you are in control.

Try to fly!

I love love flying dreams!!!! Or breathing under water dreams! Lol
  • robkayda
    robkayda Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I read once that it is a precursor to astral travel. The conscious mind is awake while the body is asleep. Supposedly if you can separate at that point you will experience astral travel. Been a long time since I read it so I can't cite any references, but I do remember an author Oliver Fox that talked about it in a sort of OBE journal. I f you experience this a lot you may want to check it out.
  • robkayda
    robkayda Posts: 4 Member
    Options
  • djinn924
    djinn924 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have sleep paralysis about every night, allong with sleep apnea. As a medicaly retired veteran I have seen many doctors during the evaluation period and re-evaluation period of my retirement. One of the doctors that actually knew what he was talking about told me it was because of my back injury I damaged some nerves in my mid back that control my lungs combined with mild TBI. I don't know if this helps this is just what I was told. As far as dealing with it I rather enjoy it because nothing happens in my house without me being able to get up in a Split Second i.e. my kids waking up, unexpected guests pulling in the driveway or even the dog walking around the house. Good luck to you all.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have had it several times. The first time was a bit scary. It’s weird being “awake” in your dream. I have been able to wake myself up. I somehow just relax and concentrate to make a quick movement. Works every time